The paper deals with the design and optimization of a novel magnetic switchable device based on Halbach array. The magnetic field in air gap is adjustable by rotating the center axis of adhesion mechanism so that the magnetic adhesion force is variable, and it is convenient for device to adsorb on and detach from the ferromagnetic workpiece or surface. The magnetic field model is established by Fourier series method, and the optimal dimensions of configuration are obtained by finite element parameter approximation method for best performing design. The magnetic force of novel optimal device is measured, and a good agreement between simulation and measurement is found. The results are compared to the traditional mechanism, and it is shown that the utilization ratio of magnets of novel optimal mechanism is 2.2 times larger than the H-type one with the same usage of magnets, while its consumption of soft iron is only 12.7% of the H-type one.
"Design Optimization of a Novel Magnetic Switchable Device Based on Halbach Array," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M,
Vol. 31, 143-158, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIERM13041301
1. Rochat, F., S. Patrick, B. Michael, M. Stephane, M. Francesco, and B. Hannes, "Design of magnetic switchable device (MSD) and applications in climbing robot," Proc. of 13th Int. Conference on Climbing and Walking Robots and the Support Technologies for Mobile Machines, 357-382, 2010.
2. Jose, B., T. Kenjiro, K. Tatsuaki, and K. Robert, "Compliant distributed magnetic adhesion device for wall climbing," Proc. of the IEEE Int. Conference on Robotics and Automation, 10-14, Roma, 2007.
4. Chu, B., K. Jung, C. S. Han, J. Kim, and D. Hong, "A survey of climbing robots: Locomotion and adhesion," Int. J. Precis. Eng. Manuf., Vol. 11, No. 4, 633-647, 2010. doi:10.1007/s12541-010-0075-3
5. Fischer, W., F. Tache, and R. Siegwart, "Magnetic wall climbing robot for thin surfaces with specific obstacles," Field and Service Robotics, Vol. 42, 551-561, 2008. doi:10.1007/978-3-540-75404-6_53
6. Yao, P. X. and D. W. Li, "The magnetic field analysis and optimization of permanent-magnetic adhesion device for a novel wall-climbing robot," Proc. of the IEEE Conference on International Technology and Innovation, 2-6, 2009.
7. Zhang, Y. M., T. Dodd, K. Atallah, and I. Lyne, "Design and optimization of magnetic wheel for wall and ceiling climbing robot," Proc. of the IEEE Int. Conference on Mechatronics and Automation, 1393-1398, 2010.
8. Zhao, W., M. Cheng, R. Cao, and J. Ji, "Experimental comparison of remedial single-channel operations for redundant flux-switching permanent-magnet motor drive," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 123, 189-204, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIER11110405
9. Liu, C. and K.-T. Chau, "Electromagnetic design and analysis of double-rotor °ux-modulated permanent-magnet machines," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 131, 81-97, 2012.
10. Torkaman, H. and E. Afjei, "Comparison of three novel types of two-phase switched reluctance motors using finite element method," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 125, 151-164, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIER12010407
11. Torkaman, H., E. Afjei, and , "Magnetostatic field analysis regarding the e®ects of dynamic eccentricity in switched reluctance motor," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 8, 163-180, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIERM09060205
12. Halbach, K., "Design of permanent multipole magnets with oriented rare Earth cobalt material," Nucl. Instrum. Methods,, Vol. 169, 1-10, 1981.
13. Liang, Y., L. Zhang, T. Wang, Z. Jiao, C.-Y. Chen, and I.-M. Chen, "Magnetic field of tubular linear machines with dual Halbach array," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 136, 283-299, 2013.
14. Jang, S. and L. Sung, "Comparison of two types of PM linear synchronous servo and miniature motor with air cored film coil," IEEE Trans. Magn., Vol. 38, No. 5, 3264-3266, 2002. doi:10.1109/TMAG.2002.802130
15. Guo, F., Y. Tang, L. Ren, and J. Li, "Structural parameter optimization design for Halbach permanent maglev rail," Physica C: Superconductivity, Vol. 470, No. 20, 1787-1790, 2010. doi:10.1016/j.physc.2010.05.207
16. Choi, J. S. and J. Yoo, "Design of a Halbach magnet array based on optimization techniques," IEEE Trans. Magn., Vol. 44, No. 10, 2361-2366, 2008. doi:10.1109/TMAG.2008.2001482
17. Shute, H. A., J. C. Mallinson, D. T. Wilton, and D. J. Mapps, "One-sided °uxes in planar, cylindrical, and spherical magnetized structures," IEEE Trans. Magn., Vol. 36, No. 2, 440-451, 2000. doi:10.1109/20.825805
18. Mahmoudi, A., N. A. Rahim, and H. W. Ping, "Axial-flux permanent-magnet motor design for electric vehicle direct drive using sizing equation and finite element analysis," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 122, 467-496, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIER11090402
19. Seok, O. and S. L. Jin, "Hybrid genetic algorithms for feature selection," IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, Vol. 26, No. 11, 1424-1437, 2004. doi:10.1109/TPAMI.2004.105
20. Bai, Z. C. and X. N. Li, "Optimization design of magnetorhe-ological damper inserted into servo pneumatic rotary actuator," Journal of Nanjing University of Science and Technology, Vol. 36, No. 3, 534-539, 2012.