This article describes a time-domain transmission line model based on distributed parameters for transient analysis. This model is based directly on the differential equations for the basic transmission line without any previous simplification. The solution presented here for these differential equations results in a more detailed time-domain model than others models currently in use, and with certain structural similarities with the distributed parameter frequency-domain model for long transmission lines. The deduction of a general time-domain transmission line model for fundamental frequencies parameters and single-phase line are presented in this article, but the model can also be extended to cases with multiconductor and frequency-depended parameters. In order to validate the model, a comparative test is presented to facilitate the analysis about the main similarities and differences between this and other models.
Luis de Andrade,
Maria Teresa Ponce de Leao,
"Time-Domain Distributed Parameters Transmission Line Model for Transient Analysis," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B,
Vol. 53, 25-46, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIERB13041804
1. Dommel, H. W., "Digital computer solution of electromagnetic transients in single-and multiphase networks," IEEE Transactions on Power Apparatus and Systems, Vol. 88, 388-399, 1969. doi:10.1109/TPAS.1969.292459
2. Bergeron, L., Water Hammer in Hydraulics and Wave Surges in Electricity, Wiley, New York, 1961.
3. Marti, J. R., "Accurate modelling of frequency-dependent transmission lines in electromagnetic transient simulations," IEEE Transactions on Power Apparatus and Systems, Vol. 101, 147-157, 1982. doi:10.1109/TPAS.1982.317332
4. Morched, A., B. Gustavsen, and M. Tartibi, "A universal model for accurate calculation of electromagnetic transients on overhead lines and underground cables," IEEE Transactions Power Delivery, Vol. 14, No. 3, 1032-1038, 1999. doi:10.1109/61.772350
5. Chipman, R. A., Theory and Problems of Transmission Lines, McGraw-Hill, 1968.
6. Kundur, P., Power System Stability and Control, McGraw-Hill, New York, 1993.
7. Heaton, A. G. and A. M. H. Issa, "Transient response of crossbonded cable systems," Proceedings of the Institution of Electrical Engineers, Vol. 117, 578-586, 1970. doi:10.1049/piee.1970.0114
8. Branin, F. H., "Transient analysis of lossless transmission lines," Proceedings of the IEEE, Vol. 55, 2012-2013, 1967. doi:10.1109/PROC.1967.6033
9. Marti, J. R., L. Marti, and F. W. Dommel, "Transmission line models for steady-state and transients analysis," Proc. Joint International Power Conf. Athens Power Tech., 744-750, 1993.
10. Dommel, H. W., EMTP Theory Book, 2nd Ed., Microtran Power System Analysis Corporation, Vancouver, Canada, 1992.
11. Faria, J. B., "A new generalized modal analysis theory for nonuniform multiconductor transmission lines," IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, Vol. 19, No. 2, 926-933, 2004. doi:10.1109/TPWRS.2004.826726
12. Trakadas, P. T. and C. N. Capsalis, "Validation of a modified FDTD method on non-uniform transmission lines," Progress In Electromagnetic Research, Vol. 31, 311-329, 2001. doi:10.2528/PIER00071705
13. Lucic, R., I. Juric-Grgic, and M. Kurtovic, "FEM analysis of electromagnetic transients in linear networks," European Transactions on Electrical Power, Vol. 19, No. 6, 890-897, 2009. doi:10.1002/etep.268
14. Tang, M. and J. F. Mao, "Transient analysis of lossy nonuniform transmission lines using a time-step integration method," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 69, 257-266, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER06123001
15. De Andrade, L. and E. Sorrentino, "Inclusion of the zero-sequence mutual impedance in a distributed parameter model of transmission lines ," 9th IEEE Int. Conf. on Environment and Electrical Engineering, 242-245, 2010.
16. Van der Sluis, L., Transients in Power Systems, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., 2001.
17. d'Alembert, J., "Recherches sur la courbe que forme une corde tenduë mise en vibration," Histoire de L'académie Royale des Sciences et Belles Lettres de Berlin, Vol. 3, 214-249, 1747.
18. Paul, C. R., "A brief history of work in transmission lines for EMC applications," IEEE Transactions on Electromagnetic Compatibility, Vol. 49, 237-257, 2007. doi:10.1109/TEMC.2007.897162