This paper presents a compact dual-band multiple input multiple output (MIMO) antenna with low mutual coupling, operating in the 2.4 GHz band (2.4-2.485 GHz) and 5.5 GHz band (5.15-5.85 GHz). The proposed antenna system consists of two antenna elements located at the top two corners of FR4 substrate (PCB). Each element dimension is reduced substantially by employing a folded structure and slots on the top patch plate, so that it takes up a small volume of 12 × 9 × 6 mm3. To enhance port-to-port isolation and efficiency of each antenna, an additional non-radiating folded shorting strip is connected between each antenna element and ground plane of PCB. The measured isolation values are lower than -28 dB over the lower WLAN band (2.4-2.485 GHz) and better than -26 dB (-30 dB in most of the band) across the higher WLAN band (5.15-5.85 GHz). The improvement in antenna's efficiency caused to raise up 1 dB of effective diversity gain of MIMO system. Furthermore S-parameters, radiation patterns and diversity performance characteristics are provided.
Hari Shankar Singh,
Bhaskara Reddy Meruva,
Gaurav Kumar Pandey,
Pradutt Kumar Bharti,
Manoj Kumar Meshram,
"Low Mutual Coupling Between MIMO Antennas by Using Two Folded Shorting Strips," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B,
Vol. 53, 205-221, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIERB13052305
1. Vaughan, R. G. and J. B. Anderson, "Antenna diversity in mobile communications," IEEE Trans. Veh. Tech., Vol. 36, No. 4, 149-172, Nov. 1987. doi:10.1109/T-VT.1987.24115
2. Foschini, G. J. and M. J. Gans, "On limits of wireless communication in a fading environment when using multiple antennas ," Wireless Pers. Commun., Vol. 6, No. 3, 311-335, 1998. doi:10.1023/A:1008889222784
3. Sonkki, M. and E. Salonen, "Low mutual coupling between monopole antennas by using two slots," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 9, 138-141, 2010. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2010.2044476
4. Meshram, M. K., R. K. Animeh, A. T. Pimpale, and N. K. Nikolova, "A novel quad-band diversity antenna for LTE and Wi-Fi applications with high isolation," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 60, No. 9, 4360-4371, Sep. 2012. doi:10.1109/TAP.2012.2207044
5. Chiu, C.-Y., C.-H. Cheng, R. D. Murch, and C. R. Rowell, "Reduction of mutual coupling between closely-packed antenna elements," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 55, No. 6, 1732-1738, Jun. 2007. doi:10.1109/TAP.2007.898618
6. Wu, T.-Y., S.-T. Fang, and K.-L. Wong, "A printed diversity dual band monopole antenna for WLAN operation in the 2.4 and 5.2 GHz bands," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 36, No. 6, 436-439, Mar. 2003. doi:10.1002/mop.10784
7. Zhang, S., Z. Ying, J. Xiong, and S. He, "Ultra-wide band MIMO/diversity antennas with a tree-like structure to enhance wideband isolation," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 8, 1279-1283, 2009. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2009.2037027
8. Weng, L. H., Y. C. Guo, X. W. Shi, and X. Q. Chen, "An overview on defected ground structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 7, 173-189, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERB08031401
9. Makinen, R., V. Pynttari, J. Heikkinen, and M. Kivikoski, "Improvement of antenna isolation in hand-held devices using miniaturized electromagnetic band-gap structures," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 49, No. 10, 2508-2513, Oct. 2007. doi:10.1002/mop.22761
10. Hsu, C.-C., K.-H. Lin, H.-L. Su, H.-H. Lin, and C.-Y. Wu, "Design of MIMO antennas with strong isolation for portable applications," Proc. IEEE AP-S, 1-4, Charleston, SC, Jun. 2009.
11. Diallo, A., C. Luxey, P. Le Thuc, R. Staraj, and G. Kossiavas, "Study and reduction of the mutual coupling between two mobile phone PIFAs operating in the DCS1800 and UMTS bands," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 54, No. 11, 3063-3074, Nov. 2006. doi:10.1109/TAP.2006.883981
12. Luxey, C. and D. Manteuffel, "Highly efficient multiple antennas for MIMO-systems," Proc. IEEE iWAT, 1-3, Lisbon, Portugal, Mar. 2010.
13. Chen, S.-C., Y.-S. Wang, and S.-J. Chung, "A decoupling technique for increasing the port isolation between two strongly coupled antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 56, No. 12, 3650-3658, Dec. 2008. doi:10.1109/TAP.2008.2005469
14. Saidatul, N. A., A. A. H. Azremi, R. B. Ahmad, P. J. Sohand, and F. Malek, "Multiband fractal planar inverted F antenna (F-PIFA) for mobile phone application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 14, 127-148, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIERB09030802
16. Taga, T., "Analysis for mean effective gain of mobile antennas in land mobile radio environments ," IEEE Trans. Veh. Tech., Vol. 39, No. 2, 117-131, May 1990. doi:10.1109/25.54228
17. Dong, L., H. Ling, and R. W. Heath, "Multiple-input multiple-output wireless communication systems using antenna pattern diversity," Proc. IEEE Global Telecommun. Conf., Vol. 1, 997-1001, Taipei, Taiwan, Nov. 2002.
18. Pedersen, K., P. Mogensen, and B. Fleury, "Power azimuth spectrum in outdoor environments," Electron. Lett., Vol. 33, No. 18, 1583-1584, Aug. 1997. doi:10.1049/el:19971029
19. Karaboikis, M. P., V. C. Papamichael, G. F. Tsachtsiris, C. F. Soras, and V. T. Makios, "Integrating compact printed antennas onto small diversity/MIMO terminals," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 56, No. 7, 2067-2078, Jul. 2008. doi:10.1109/TAP.2008.924677
20. Jusoh, M., M. F. Jamlos, M. R. Kamarudin, and F. Malek, "A MIMO antenna design challenges for UWB applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 36, 357-371, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIERB11092701
21. Schwartz, M., W. R. Bennett, and S. Stein, Communication System and Techniques, 470-474, McGraw-Hill, New York, 1965.
22. Pierce, J. N. and S. Stein, "Multiple diversity with non independent fading," IRE Proc., Vol. 48, 89-104, Jan. 1960.
23. Rao, Q. and K. Wilson, "Design, modeling, and evaluation of a multiband MIMO/diversity antenna system for small wireless mobile terminals," IEEE Trans. on Components, Packaging and Manufacturing Tech., Vol. 1, No. 3.