A novel defected ground structure unit is presented in this paper. This structure is composed of a traditional dumbbell DGS and a pair of coupling stubs in the aperture. In contrast to a single finite attenuation pole characteristic offered by the conventional dumbbell DGS, the proposed DGS unit provides dual finite attenuation poles that can be independently controlled. By adjusting the position of the two attenuation poles, a much sharper skirt and wider stopband could be achieved. A 3.2 GHz lowpass filter utilizing four cascaded novel DGS units is designed, fabricated and measured. This lowpass filter achieves a wide stopband with over 30-dB attenuation up-to 30 GHz. The results obtained from simulation and measurement have good agreement.
"Lowpass Filter with Wide Stopband and Sharp Skirt Using Novel Defected Ground Structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters,
Vol. 41, 185-191, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIERL13061501
1. Matthaei, G. L., L. Young, and E. M. T. Jones, Microwave Filters, Impedance-matching Networks, and Coupling Structures, Artech House, Dedham, MA, 1980.
2. Makimoto, M. and S. Yamashita, "Microwave Resonators and Filters for Wireless Communication: Theory, Design and Application," Springer, Berlin, 2001.
3. Ahn, D., J.-S. Park, C.-S. Kim, J. Kim, Y. Qian, and T. Itoh, "A design of the low-pass filter using the novel microstrip defected ground structure," IEEE Trans. on Microw. Theory and Tech., Vol. 49, No. 1, 86-93, 2001. doi:10.1109/22.899965
4. Song, K., Y. Z. Yin, et al. "Compact LPF with pair of coupling slots for wide stopband suppression," Electronics Letters, Vol. 46, No. 13, 922-924, 2010. doi:10.1049/el.2010.1113
5. Taher, H., "High-performance low-pass filter using complementary square split ring resonators defected ground structure," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 5, No. 7, 771-775, 2011. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2010.0273
6. Mandal, M. K. and S. Sanyal, "A novel defected ground structure for planar circuits," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 16, No. 2, 93-95, 2006. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2005.863192
7. Verma, A. K. and A. Kumar, "Synthesis of microstrip lowpass filter using defected ground structures," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 5, No. 12, 1431-1439, 2011. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2011.0071
8. Kufa, M. and Z. Raida, "Lowpass filter with reduced fractal defected ground structure," Electronics Letters, Vol. 49, No. 3, 199-201, 2013. doi:10.1049/el.2012.3473