This paper presents the design of a monolithic structure with dual-band quasi-elliptic frequency selective filtering responses. The frequency selective structure consists of a two-dimensional (2-D) array of cavities apertured with six ring slots. The transmission response is with a quasi-elliptic passband in lower frequency, and an elliptic passband in upper frequency. By placing transmission zeros near the passband edge, the proposed structure is characterized with high selectivity, rapid rolloff, and high separation between two passbands. Besides, the working principles and influence of the dimensional parameters are fully investigated with simulations and analysis, which is helpful to the design. In this design, five resonances and three transmission zeros are obtained with a simple unit by introducing coupling and phase controlling. This work will be meaningful in study of three dimensional frequency selective structures with high performance.
"A Monolithic Frequency Selective Strucutre with Dual-Band Quasi-Elliptic Filtering Response," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M,
Vol. 33, 95-104, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIERM13080502
1. Rashid, A. K. and Z. Shen, "Three-dimensional frequency selective surfaces," Int. Conf. Communications, Circuits, and Systems (ICCCAS), China, Jul. 2010.
2. Lu, Z.-H., P.-G. Liu, and X.-J. Huang, "A novel three-dimensional frequency selective structure," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 11, 588-591, 2012. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2012.2201438
3. Abbaspour, A., K. Sarabandi, and G. M. Rebeiz, "Antenna-filter-antenna array as a class of bandpass frequency selective surfaces," IEEE Trans. on Microwave Theory and Tech., Vol. 52, No. 8, 1781-1789, 2004. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2004.831572
4. Luo, G. Q., W. Hong, Z. C. Hao, B. Liu, W. D. Li, J. X. Chen, H. X. Zhou, and K. Wu, "Theory and experiment of novel frequency selective surface based on substrate integrated waveguide technology," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propag., Vol. 53, 4035-4043, 2005.
5. Zuo, Y., A. K. Rashid, Z. Shen, and Y. Feng, "Design of dual-polarized frequency selective structure with quasi-elliptic bandpass response," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 8, 624-626, 2012.
6. Munk, B. A., Frequency Selective Surface: Theory and Design, Wiley-Interscience, New York, 2011.
7. Bianchi, G. and R. Sorrentino, Electronic Filter Simulation & Design, McGraw-Hill, New York, 2007.
8. Luo, G. Q., W. Hong, Q. H. Lai, K. Wu, and L. L. Sun, "Design and experimental verification of compact frequency-selective surface with quasi-elliptic bandpass response," IEEE Trans. on Microwave Theory and Tech., Vol. 55, 2481-2487, 2007. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2007.910085
9. Rashid, A. K., Z. Shen, and B. Li, "An elliptical bandpass frequency selective structure based on microstrip lines," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propag., Vol. 60, 4661-4669, 2012. doi:10.1109/TAP.2012.2207355
10. Yang, H.-Y., S.-X. Gong, P.-F. Zhang, and Y. Guan, "Compound frequency selective surface with quasi-elliptic bandpass response," Electronics Letters, Vol. 46, No. 1, 7-8, 2010. doi:10.1049/el.2010.2600
11. Luo, G. Q., W. Hong, H. J. Tang, J. X. Chen, and K. Wu, "Dualband frequency-selective surfaces using substrate-integrated waveguide technology," IET Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 1, No. 2, 408-413, 2007. doi:10.1049/iet-map:20060039
12. Alan Davis, W., Radio Frequency Circuit Design, John Wiley & Sons, Inc., New York, 2011.
13. Harrington, R. F., "Time-harmonic Electronmagnetic Fields," IEEE Press, John Wiley & Sons, Inc., New York, 2001.
14. Zhang, Y., G. Liu, and , "Analysis of resonance frequency for rectangular cavity with apertures and embedded materials," Proc. Int. Conf. Intelligent Computing and Intelligent Systems, 271-273, 2010.