In this letter, a novel dual-band metamaterial absorber is presented and analyzed. The absorber is composed of four patches on the top of a thin grounded dielectric substrate which can absorb incident wave at two different frequency bands effectively. Then the absorber is loaded on the dual-band microstrip antenna, whose working frequency bands are overlapped with that of the absorber, to reduce the in-band RCS (Radar Cross Section) of antenna. The prototype is simulated, manufactured and measured. Simulated results show that the absorption of the absorber is as high as 98.6% at 4.29 GHz and 99.8% at 6.49 GHz. As to the dual-band antenna loaded with the proposed absorber, its radiation performance is unchanged while the RCS has declined by 8.59 dB at 4.29 GHz and 9.9 dB at 6.49 GHz respectively. There is a good agreement between simulated and measured results, which verifies that this absorber can be used for in-band RCS reduction of dual-band antenna so as to improve its in-band stealth performance.
"A Novel Dual-Band Metamaterial Absorber and Its Application for Microstrip Antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters,
Vol. 44, 35-41, 2014. doi:10.2528/PIERL13090704
1. Chen, M. and C. C. Chen, "A compact dual-band GPS antenna design," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 12, 245-248, 2013. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2013.2247972
2. Chow, H. Y., Y. D. Sim, and C. H. Lee, "Compact size dual-band antenna printed on flexible substrate for WLAN operation," Proceedings of ISAP, 1047-1050, 2012.
3. Chiu, C. N. and W. H. Chuang, "A novel dual-band antenna for a satellite and terrestrial communication system," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 8, 624-626, 2009. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2009.2021283
4. Knott, E. F., J. F. Shaeffer, and M. T. Tuley, Radar Cross Section, 2nd Ed., SciTech Publishing, Inc, Raleigh, NC, 2004.
5. Zheng, J.-H., Y. Liu, and S.-X. Gong, "Aperture coupled microstrip antenna with low RCS," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 3, 61-68, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERL08013102