An efficient optimization technique for frequency selective surface (FSS) radome with nonuniform wall thickness is proposed to improve the power transmission efficiency and the boresight error (BSE) of FSS radome simultaneously. The high-frequency method based on the approximate locally planar technique is used to evaluate the transmission performance of FSS radome. An efficient multi-dimensional adaptive sampling method combined with spectral domain method of moment (MoM) is employed to analyze transmission performance of FSS structure. The immune clone algorithm (ICA) is applied to the design of a FSS radome, in which the linear combination of the maximizing power transmission efficiency and the minimizing BSE is adopted as the affinity function, and the radome wall thickness is optimized. A design example for the three-dimensional tangent ogive radome with nonuniform thickness is given. The results show that the power transmission efficiency is improved significantly and the BSE of the optimal antenna-radome system is also reduced over the antenna scan volume.
"Efficient Multi-Objective Optimization of Frequency Selective Radome with Nonuniform Wall Thickness," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M,
Vol. 35, 39-48, 2014. doi:10.2528/PIERM13122503
1. Callaghan, P., E. A. Parker, and R. J. Langley, "Influence of supporting dielectric layers on the transmission properties of frequency selective surfaces," IEE Proceedings --- H, Vol. 138, 448-454, 1991.
2. Ohira, M., H. Deguchi, M. Tsuji, et al. "Multiband single-layer frequency selective surface designed by combination of genetic algorithm and geometry-refinement technique," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 52, 2925-2931, 2004. doi:10.1109/TAP.2004.835289
3. Chakravarty, S. and R. Mittra, "Application of the microgenetic algorithm to the design of spatial ¯lters with frequency selective surfaces embedded in dielectric media," IEEE Trans. on Electromagn. Compat., Vol. 44, 338-346, 2002. doi:10.1109/TEMC.2002.1003399
4. Ling, L., D. H. Werner, J. A. Bossard, and T. S. Mayer, "A model-based parameter estimation technique for wide-band interpolation of periodic moment method impedance matrices with application to genetic algorithm optimization of frequency selective surfaces," IEEE Trans. on Antennas Propag., Vol. 54, 908-924, 2006. doi:10.1109/TAP.2006.869915
5. Genovesi, S., R. Mittra, A. Monorchio, and G. Manara, "Particle swarm optimization for the design of frequency selective surfaces," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 5, 277-279, 2006. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2006.875900
6. Sabielny, M., "Design of frequency selective radomes using parallel particle swarm optimization," First European Conference on Antennas and Propagation, 1-6, 2006.
7. Hart, E. and J. Timmis, "Application areas of AIS: The past, the present and the future," Appl. Soft Comput., Vol. 8, 191-201, 2008. doi:10.1016/j.asoc.2006.12.004
8. Campelo, F., F. G. Guimaraes, H. Igarashi, and J. A. Ramirez, "A clone selection algorithm for optimization in electromagnetics," IEEE Trans. on Magnetics, Vol. 41, 1736-1739, 2005. doi:10.1109/TMAG.2005.846043
9. Zikri, B., A. B. Jeremy, X. D. Wang, and H. W. Douglas, "A real-valued parallel clonal selection algorithm and its application to the design optimization of multi-layered frequency selective surfaces," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 60, 1831-1843, 2012. doi:10.1109/TAP.2012.2186241
10. Caroglanian, A. and K. J. Webb, "Study of curved and planar frequency-selective surfaces with nonplanar illumination," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 39, 211-217, 1991. doi:10.1109/8.68184
11. Martini, E., F. Caminita, M. Nannetti, et al. "Fast analysis of FSS radome for antenna RCS reduction," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, 1801-1804, 2006. doi:10.1109/APS.2006.1710917
12. Philips, B., E. A. Parker, and R. J. Langley, "Ray tracing analysis of the transmission performance of curved FSS," IEE Proc. Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 142, 193-200, 1995. doi:10.1049/ip-map:19951896
13. D'Elia, U., G. Pelosi, C. Pichot, S. Selleri, and M. Zoppi, "A physical optics approach to the analysis of large frequency selective radomes," Progress In Electromagnetic Research, Vol. 138, 537-553, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIER13012810
14. Ma, X., G. B. Wan, and W. Wan, "A multi-dimensional adaptive sampling method for analysis and design of frequency selective surface with arbitrary element," Progress In Electromagnetic Research B, Vol. 41, 213-230, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIERB12042004
15. Kozakoff, D. J., Analysis of Radome-enclosed Antennas, Artech House, Boston, London, 2010.
16. Wu, T. K., Frequency Selective Surface and Grid Array, John Wiley & Sons, New York, 1995.
17. Rao, S. M., D. R. Wilton, and A. W. Glisson, "Electromagnetic scattering by surface of arbitrary shape," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 30, 409-418, 1982. doi:10.1109/TAP.1982.1142818
19. Yao, X. and Y. Liu, "Evolutionary programming made faster," IEEE Transactions on Computation, Vol. 3, 82-102, 1999. doi:10.1109/4235.771163
20. Ray, A., M. Kahar, S. Sarkar, S. Biswas, D. Sarkar, and P. P. Sarkar, "A novel broad and multiband frequency selective surface," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 54, 1353-1355, 2012. doi:10.1002/mop.26843