Partial Discharge (PD) measurements may be affected by external noise and disturbances of various natures such as interference from broadcasting stations, stochastic noise, pulses from power electronics, etc. Extracting PD pulses from such a noisy environment is therefore a crucial issue. This paper presents a wavelet based technique for automatic noise rejection. The core of the paper is the use of an improved methodological approach for the selection of a suitable wavelet, which aims at summing up the benefits and overcoming some limitations of previous techniques. Firstly, a very wide set of training signals is used for the identification of the decomposition level and for the calculation of suitable performance parameters that identify each wavelet; then a Performance Fingerprint is introduced in order to summarize the ability of a specific wavelet to reconstruct a partial discharge waveform, and a distance criterion is used for the selection of the most suitable wavelet. Afterwards, useful information is collected for the reconstruction of the PD signal, and finally, results on the application of the algorithm for a set of numerical and experimental signals are presented.
"An Improved Methodological Approach for Denoising of Partial Discharge Data by the Wavelet Transform," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B,
Vol. 58, 205-217, 2014. doi:10.2528/PIERB14012006
1. Kreuger, F. H., Partial Discharge Detection in High Voltage Equipment, Butterworths, London, 1989.
2. Bartnikas, R., "Corona pulse counting and pulse-height analysis techniques," Dielectrics, Volume I, Corona Measurement and Interpretation, Chapter 9, R. Bartnikas, and E. J. Mc Mahon (eds.), STP 669, ASTM, Philadelphia, 1979.
3. Angrisani, L., P. Daponte, C. Dias, and A. Vale, "Advanced processing techniques of high-voltage impulse test signals," IEEE Trans. on Instrumentation and Measurement, Vol. 47, No. 2, 439-445, Apr. 1998. doi:10.1109/19.744188
4. Onal, E. and J. Dikun, "Short-time Fourier transform for different impulse measurements," Balkan Journal of Electrical & Computer Engineering, Vol. 1, No. 1, 44-47, 2013.
5. Shim, I., J. J. Soraghan, and W. H. Siew, "Digital signal processing applied to the detection of partial discharge: An overview," IEEE Electrical Insulation Magazine, Vol. 16, No. 3, 6-12, 2000. doi:10.1109/57.845021
6. Lupµo, G., C. Petrarca, M. Vitelli, L. Angrisani, and M. Daponte, "Analysis of ultrawide-band detected partial discharges by means of a multiresolution digital signal-processing method," Measurement, Journal of the International Meas. Confederation, Vol. 27, No. 3, 207-221, 2000.
7. Cody, M. A., "The wavelet packet transform extending the wavelet transform," Dr. Dobb's Journal, M&T Publishing Inc., Apr. 1994.
8. Angrisani, L., M. D'Arco, M. Di Lorenzo del Casale, and C. Petrarca, "Extraction of PD data from UWB measurements on motor stator bars fed by an IGBT inverter," 2002 Conference on Electrical Insulation and Dielectric Phenomena (CEIDP), 844-847, Cancun, Mexico, 2002.
9. Petrarca, C., "The use of wavelet packet transform for digital-signal processing of PD data acquired from tests on inverter-fed specimen," 2004 International Conference on Solid Dielectrics (ICSD), Vol. 2, 892-895, Toulouse, France, 2004.
10. Petrarca, C. and G. Lupµo, "Wavelet packet denoising of partial discharge data," 2006 Conference on Electrical Insulation and Dielectric Phenomena (CEIDP), 644-647, Kansas City, 2006. doi:10.1109/CEIDP.2006.312014
11. Baki, A. K. M. and N. C. Karmakar, "Improved method of node and threshold selection in wavelet packet transform for UWB impulse radio signal denoising," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 38, 241-257, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIERC13011709
12. Satish, L. and B. Nazneen, "Wavelet-based denoising of partial discharge signals buried in excessive noise and interference," IEEE Trans. on Dielectrics and Electrical Insulation, Vol. 10, No. 2, 354-367, 2003. doi:10.1109/TDEI.2003.1194122
13. Zhou, X., C. Zhou, and B. G. Stewart, "Comparisons of discrete wavelet transform, wavelet packet transform and stationary wavelet transform in denoising PD measurement data," 2006 IEEE International Symposium on Electrical Insulation (ISEI), 237-240, Toronto, Canada, 2006.
14. Ma, X., C. Zhou, and I. J. Kemp, "Interpretation of wavelet analysis and its application in partial discharge detection," IEEE Trans. on Dielectrics and Electrical Insulation, Vol. 9, No. 3, 446-457, 2002. doi:10.1109/TDEI.2002.1007709
15. Zhou, X., C. Zhou, and I. J. Kemp, "An improved methodology for application of wavelet transform for partial discharge measurement denoising," IEEE Trans. on Dielectrics and Electrical Insulation, Vol. 12, No. 3, 586-594, 2005. doi:10.1109/TDEI.2005.1453464
16. Kyprianou, A., P. L. Lewin, V. Efthimiou, A. Stavrou, and G. E. Georghiou, "Wavelet packet denoising for online partial discharge detection in cables and its application to experimental field results," Meas. Sci. Technol., Vol. 17, 2367-2379, IOP Publishing Ltd., 2006.
17. Chang, C. S., J. Jin, S. Kumar, Q. Su, T. Hoshino, M. Hanai, and N. Kobayashi, "Denoising of partial discharge signals in wavelet packet domain," IEE Proc. --- Sci. Meas. Technology, Vol. 152, No. 3, 129-140, 2005. doi:10.1049/ip-smt:20041315
18. Macedo, E. C. T., D. B. Araujo, E. G. da Costa, R. C. S. Freire, W. T. A. Lopes, I. S. M. Torres, J. M. R. de Souza Neto, S. A. Bhatti, and I. A. Glover, "Wavelet transform processing applied to partial discharge evaluation," Journal of Physics: Conference Series, Vol. 364, 1-16, IOP Publishing Ltd., 2012.
19. Sarkar, T. K., et al. "A tutorial on wavelets from an electrical engineering perspective, Part 1: Discrete wavelet techniques," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 40, No. 5, 49-70, 1998. doi:10.1109/74.735965
20. Mallat, S., "A theory for multi-resolution signal decomposition: The wavelet representation," IEEE Patt. Anal. Mach. Intell., Vol. 11, No. 7, 674-693, 1989. doi:10.1109/34.192463
21. Kreuger, F. H., Industrial High Voltage, Volume II, Delft University Press, 1992.
22. Morshuis, P. H. F., "Partial discharge mechanisms,", Ph.D. Thesis, Delft University Press, 1993.
23. Gulski, E., "Computer-aided recognition of partial discharges using statistical tools,", Ph.D. Thesis, Delft University Press, 1991.
24. Krivda, A., "Recognition of discharges: discrimination and classification,", Ph.D. Thesis, Delft University Press, 1995.
25. Wood, J. W., H. G. Sedding, W. K. Hogg, I. J. Kemp, and H. Zhu, "Partial discharges in HV machines; initial considerations for a PD specification," IEE Proceedings-A, Vol. 140, No. 5, 409-416, 1993.
26. Petrarca, C., A. Maffucci, V. Tucci, and M. Vitelli, "Analysis of the voltage distribution in a motor stator winding subjected to steep-fronted surge voltages by means of a multiconductor lossy transmission line model," IEEE Trans. on Energy Conversion, Vol. 19, No. 1, 7-17, 2004. doi:10.1109/TEC.2003.821834
27. De Vivo, B., P. Lamberti, V. Tucci, and C. Petrarca, "Simulation of the bearing voltage in an inverter-FED induction motor by a full three phase multi conductor transmission line model," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 46, 233-250, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIERB12090605