A dual-beam microstrip array antenna based on conical beam elements is proposed in this paper. Circular patch operating at the TM01 mode is used to achieve conical beam pattern. Grating lobes of the array is used to obtain dual-beam patterns with large elevation angle and high gain. Detailed analysis and design have been presented. A 4x4 antenna prototype has been fabricated and measured. Experimental results show that the antenna array has the return loss better than 10 dB over 12.26 GHz-12.88 GHz and exhibits two symmetric radiation beams, directed at ±49.4° with 16.6 dBi gain at 12.5 GHz. Good agreement between the simulated and measured results is observed. Compared with the previous scheme, the alternative proposal possesses the advantages of being easy to form a planar array with low cross-polarization and having relatively high aperture efficiency simultaneously.
1. Tao, Y. M. and G. Y. Delisle, "Lens-fed multiple beam array for millimeter wave indoor communications," Proc. IEEE AP-S Int. Antenna and Propag. Symp. Digest, 2206-2209, 1997.
2. Ingram, K., M. Li, and E. Rausch, "Multibeam antennas for indoor wireless communications," IEEE Trans. Comm., Vol. 50, No. 2, 192-194, 2002. doi:10.1109/26.983314
3. Cheng, Y. J., "Substrate integrated waveguide frequency-agile slot antenna and its multibeam application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 130, 153-168, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIER12061602
4. Huang, J. and S. N. Madsen, "A dual-beam microstrip array antenna," Proc. IEEE AP-S Int. Antenna and Propag. Symp. Digest, Vol. 1, 147-150, 1992.
5. Alkanhal, M. A. S., "Composite compact triple-band microstrip antennas," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 93, 221-236, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIER09050407
6. Sadat, S. and M. Houshmand, "Design of a microstrip square-ring slot antenna ¯lled by an H-shape slot for UWB applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 70, 191-198, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER07012002
7. Kaya, A., "Microstrip antenna with embedded negative capacitor and chip resistor," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 78, 421-436, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER07100202
8. Lo, Y. T., D. Solomon, and W. F. Richards, "Theory and experiment on microstrip antennas," IEEE Trans. Antenna Propag., Vol. 27, No. 2, 137-145, 1979. doi:10.1109/TAP.1979.1142057
9. Lee, K. F. and K. M. Luk, Microstrip Patch Antennas, U. K. Imperial College Press, 2010.
10. Khidre, A., K.-F. Lee, A. Z. Elsherbeni, and F. Yang, "Wide band dual-beam U-slot microstrip antenna," IEEE Trans. Antenna Propag., Vol. 61, No. 3, 1415-1418, 2013. doi:10.1109/TAP.2012.2228617
11. Chen, Y. J., W. Hong, and K. Wu, "Millimeter-wave monopulse antenna incorporating substrate integrated waveguide phase shifter," IET Microw. Antenna. Propag., Vol. 2, No. 1, 48-52, 2008. doi:10.1049/iet-map:20070134
12. Yu, Z.-W., G.-M. Wang, and C. X. Zhang, "A broadband planar monopulse antenna array of C-band," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 8, 1325-1328, 2009.
13. Chen, Y. J., W. Hong, and K. Wu, "94 GHz substrate integrated monopulse antenna array," IEEE Trans. Antenna Propag., Vol. 60, No. 1, 121-129, 2012. doi:10.1109/TAP.2011.2167945
14. Chen, T. L. and Y. D. Lin, "Dual-beam microstrip leaky-wave array excited by aperture-coupling method," IEEE Trans. Antenna Propag., Vol. 51, No. 9, 2496-2498, 2003. doi:10.1109/TAP.2003.816312
15. Li, Y., Q. Xue, E. K.-N. Yung, and Y. Long, "Dual-beam steering microstrip leaky wave antenna with fixed operating frequency," IEEE Trans. Antenna Propag., Vol. 56, No. 1, 248-252, 2008. doi:10.1109/TAP.2007.913168
16. Luxey, C. and J.-M. Laheurte, "Dual-beam array of microstrip leaky-wave antennas," Electron. Lett., Vol. 34, No. 11, 1041-1042, 1998. doi:10.1049/el:19980820
20. Liu, J., Q. Xue, H. Wong, H. W. Lai, and Y. Long, "Design and analysis of a low-profile and broadband microstrip monopolar patch antenna," IEEE Trans. Antenna Propag., Vol. 61, No. 1, 11-18, 2013. doi:10.1109/TAP.2012.2214996