The traditional coplanar electromagnetic bandgap (EBG) structure is analyzed. The method is studied to lower the center frequency and broaden the bandwidth in this paper. A novel structure of U-bridged EBG power plane is proposed. The simulation and test results show that the bandwidth of the new structure is 4.32 GHz, and the lower side cutoff frequency is at 380 MHz with stopband depth at -40 dB. The elimination of simultaneous switching noise (SSN) as this kind of U-bridged coplanar EBG structure is more effective below 1 GHz. In addition, the eye diagram of the structure is analyzed. The degradation of the maximum eye open and the maximum eye width on the structure is about 1.2% and 5.7% respectively. Finally, the IR-drop and dc resistance is accurately investigated through 3-D simulations.
"Novel Coplanar EBG Low Pass Filter," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters,
Vol. 48, 83-93, 2014. doi:10.2528/PIERL14040903
1. Ramesh, A. and V. E. George, "Metallo-dielectric electromagnetic bandgap structures for suppression and isolation of the parallel-plate noise in high-speed circuits," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 51, No. 6, 1629-1639, 2003. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2003.812555
2. Jong, H. K., U. S. Dong, I. K. Sang, and G. Y. Jong, "Novel electromagnetic bandgap array structure on power distribution network for suppressing simultaneous switching noise and minimizing effects on high-speed signals," IEEE Transaction on Electromagnetic Compatibility, Vol. 52, No. 2, 365-372, 2010. doi:10.1109/TEMC.2010.2045894
3. Wang, T.-K., C.-Y. Hsieh, H.-H. Chuang, and T.-L. Wu, "Design and modeling of a stopband-enhanced EBG structure using ground surface perturbation lattice for power/ground noise suppression," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 57, No. 8, 2047-2054, 2009. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2009.2025466
4. Kang, H.-D., H. Kim, S.-G. Kim, and J.-G. Yook, "A localized enhanced power plane topology for wideband suppression of simultaneous switching noise," IEEE Transactions on Electromagnetic Compatibility, Vol. 52, No. 2, 373-380, 2010. doi:10.1109/TEMC.2010.2044415
5. Ding, T.-H., Y.-S. Li, D.-C. Jiang, Y.-Z. Qu, and X. Yan, "Estimation method for simultaneous switching noise in power delivery network for high-speed digital system design," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 125, 79-95, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIER12011202
6. Gao, M.-J., L.-S. Wu, and J. F. Mao, "Compact notched ultra-wideband bandpass filter with improved out-of-band performance using quasi electromagnetic bandgap structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 125, 137-150, 2012.
7. Wu, T.-L., C.-C. Wang, Y.-H. Lin, T.-K. Wang, and G. Chang, "A novel power plane with super-wideband elimination of ground bounce noise on high speed circuits," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 15, No. 3, 174-176, 2005. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2005.844216
8. Wang, X.-H., B.-Z. Wang, Y.-H. Bi, and W. Shao, "A novel uniplanar compact photonic bandgap power plane with ultra-broadband suppression of ground bounce noise," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 16, No. 5, 267-268, 2006. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2006.873509
9. Qin, J. and M. R. Omar, "Ultra-wideband mitigation of simultaneous switching noise using novel planar electromagnetic bandgap structures," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 16, No. 9, 487-489, 2006. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2006.880713
10. Wu, T. L. and T. K. Wang, "Embedded power plane with ultra-wide stop-band for simultaneously switching noise on high-speed circuits," Electronics Letters, Vol. 42, No. 4, 213-214, 2006. doi:10.1049/el:20063498
11. He, Y., L. Li, C. H. Liang, Q. H. Liu, L. Li, and H. B. Wen, "Leafy EBG structures for ultra-wideband SSN suppression in power/ground plane pairs," Electronics Letters, Vol. 46, No. 11, 768-769, 2010. doi:10.1049/el.2010.0758
12. He, Y., C.-H. Liang, and Q.-H. Liu, "Novel array EBG structures for ultrawideband simultaneous switching noise suppression," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 10, 588-591, 2011.
13. Chu, H., X. Q. Shi, and Y. X. Guo, "Ultra-wideband bandpass filter with a notch band using EBG array etched ground," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 25, No. 2-3, 203-209, 2011. doi:10.1163/156939311794362786
14. He, Y., L. Li, H. Q. Zhai, X. J. Dang, C.-H. Liang, and Q. H. Liu, "Sierpinski space-filling curves and their application in high-speed circuits for ultrawideband SSN suppression," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 9, 568-571, 2010.
15. Li, L., Q. Chen, Q.-W. Yuan, and K. Sawaya, "Ultrawideband suppression of ground bounce noise in multilayer PCB using locally embedded planar electromagnetic band-gap structures," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 8, 740-743, 2009.
16. Huang, C.-H. and T.-L. Wu, "Analytical design of via lattice for ground planes noise suppression and application on embedded planar EBG structures," IEEE Transactions on Components, Packaging and Manufacturing Technology, Vol. 3, No. 1, 21-30, 2013. doi:10.1109/TCPMT.2012.2220139
17. Wu, T.-L., Y.-H. Lin, and S.-T. Chen, "A novel power planes with low radiation and broadband suppression of ground bounce noise using photonic bandgap structures," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 14, No. 7, 337-339, 2004. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2004.829275
18. Zhang, M.-S., Y.-S. Li, C. Jia, and L.-P. Li, "A power plane with wideband SSN suppression using a multi-via electromagnetic bandgap structure," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 17, No. 4, 307-309, 2007. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2007.892992
19. Kim, B. and D.-W. Kim, "Bandwidth enhancement for SSN suppression using a spiral-shaped power island and a modified EBG structure for a λ/4 open stub," Electronics and Telecommunications Research Institute Journal, Vol. 31, No. 2, 201-208, 2009.
20. Shahparnia, S. and O. M. Ramahi, "Design, implementation, and testing of miniaturized electromagnetic bandgap structures for broadband switching noise mitigation in high-speed PCBs," IEEE Transactions on Advanced Packaging, Vol. 30, No. 2, 171-179, 2007. doi:10.1109/TADVP.2007.895612
21. Mahdi, M. S., A. R. Attari, and M. M. Mirsalehi, "Compact and wideband 1-D mushroom-like EBG filters," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 83, 323-333, 2008.
22. Scogna, A. C., A. Orlandi, and V. Ricchiuti, "Signal and power integrity analysis of differential lines in multilayer printed circuit boards with embedded electromagnetic bandgap structures," IEEE Transaction on Electromagnetic Compatibility, Vol. 52, No. 2, 357-364, 2010. doi:10.1109/TEMC.2009.2027125
23. He, H.-S., X.-Q. Lai, W.-D. Xu, J.-G. Jiang, M.-X. Zang, Q. Ye, and Q. Wang, "Efficient EMI reduction in multilayer PCB using novel wideband electromagnetic bandgap structures," International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer-Aided Engineering, Vol. 21, No. 4, 363-370, 2011. doi:10.1002/mmce.20516
24. Wu, T.-L., H.-H. Chuang, and T.-K. Wang, "Overview of power integrity solutions on package and PCB: Decoupling and EBG isolation," IEEE Transactions on Electromagnetic Compatibility,, Vol. 52, No. 2, 346-356, 2010. doi:10.1109/TEMC.2009.2039575
25. Pirhadi, A., F. Keshmiri, M. Hakkak, and M. Tayarani, "Analysis and design of dual band high directivity EBG resonator antenna using square loop FSS as superstrate layer," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 70, 1-20, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER07010201
26. Gujral, M. J., L.-W. Li, T. Yuan, and C.-W. Qiu, "Bandwidth improvement of microstrip antenna array using dummy EBG pattern on feedline," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 127, 79-92, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIER12022807
27. Kim, S.-H., T. T. Nguyen, and J.-H. Jang, "Reflection characteristics of 1-D EBG ground plane and its application to a planar dipole antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 120, 51-66, 2011.
28. Kim, K. H. and E. S.-A. Jose, "Analysis and modeling of hybrid planar-type electromagnetic-bandgap structures and feasibility study on power distribution network applications," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 56, No. 1, 178-186, 2008. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2007.912199
29. Choi, J., D. G. Kam, D. Chung, K. Srinivasan, V. Govind, J. Kim, and M. Swaminathan, "Near-field and far-field analyses of alternating impedance electromagnetic bandgap (AI-EBG) structure for mixed-signal applications," IEEE Transactions on Advanced Packaging, Vol. 30, No. 2, 180-190, 2007. doi:10.1109/TADVP.2007.896921
30. Raimondo, L., F. D. Paulis, and A. Orlandi, "A simple and e±cient design procedure for planar electromagnetic bandgap structures on printed circuit boards," IEEE Transactions on Electromagnetic Compatibility, Vol. 53, No. 2, 482-490, 2011. doi:10.1109/TEMC.2010.2051549
31. De Paulis, F., L. Raimondo, and A. Orlandi, "IR-drop analysis and thermal assessment of planar electromagnetic bandgap structures for power integrity applications," IEEE Transactions on Advanced Packaging, Vol. 33, No. 3, 617-622, 2010. doi:10.1109/TADVP.2009.2033572
32. Di Febo, D., M. H. Nisanci, F. De Paulis, and A. Orlandi, "Impact of planar electromagnetic band-gap structures on IR-drop and signal integrity in high speed printed circuit boards," 2012 IEEE EMC ERROPE, 1-5, Rome, Italy, 2012.