In this paper, a wideband differential phase shifter has been analyzed and designed using Genetic Algorithm (GA). The differential phase shifter consists of two fixed main lines of length λ/2, and parallel open and short stubs of length λ/8, which are shunted at the edge points of the main lines, respectively. With the application of GA, an impedance match and minimum phase deviation for the desired phase shift over a wide frequency band are obtained. In order to verify the optimum results, simulation experiments are made and a 45° phase shifter is fabricated and measured. The phase shifter exhibits an impedance bandwidth (|S11|<-10 dB) and a consistent 45° (±2°) phase difference bandwidth around 66%.
"Design of a Wideband Differential Phase Shifter with the Application of Genetic Algorithm," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters,
Vol. 48, 45-49, 2014. doi:10.2528/PIERL14051503
1. Mohammadpour-Aghdam, K., N. Komjani, G. Vandenbosch, and W. De Raedt, "A broadband modified differential phase shifter for microwave applications," Proceedings of the 39th European Microwave Conference, 69-72, Rome, Italy, Sep. 2009.
2. Zheng, S. Y., W. S. Chan, and K. F. Man, "Broadband phase shifter using loaded transmission line," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 20, No. 9, 498-500, Sep. 2010. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2010.2050868
3. Yeung, S. H., Q. Xue, and K. F. Man, "Broadband 90 differential phase shifter constructed using a pair of multisection radial line stubs," IEEE Trans. on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 60, No. 9, 2760-2767, Sep. 2012. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2012.2204899
4. Eom, S.-Y. and H.-K. Park, "New switched-network phase shifter with broadband characteristics," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 38, No. 4, 255-257, Aug. 2003. doi:10.1002/mop.11030
5. Liu, C.-R., S.-Q. Xiao, Y.-X. Guo, Y.-Y. Bai, and B.-Z. Wang, "Broadband circularly polarized beam-steering antenna array," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagat., Vol. 61, No. 3, 1475-1479, Mar. 2013. doi:10.1109/TAP.2012.2230235
6. Yang, Y. and X.-J. Yu, "Cooperative coevolutionary genetic algorithm for digital IIR filter design," IEEE Trans. on Industrial Electronics, Vol. 54, No. 3, 1311-1318, Jun. 2007. doi:10.1109/TIE.2007.893063
7. Yan, T.-S., Y.-Q. Tao, and D.-W. Cui, "Research on handwritten numeral recognition method based on improved genetic algorithm and neural network," Proceedings of the 2007 International Conference on Wavelet Analysis and Pattern Recognition, 1271-1276, Beijing, China, Nov. 2007.