In a real airborne synthetic aperture radar (SAR), its major phase errors are usually composed of two categories, such as slow-time varying phase errors (less than several cycles of change in phase during synthetic aperture time) and fast-time varying phase errors (otherwise, including wide band random) according to the motion of aircraft. If the fast errors are no more negligible compared to the slow errors, they should be estimated and then compensated accurately to obtain a well focused image. However, it is not proper to estimate all phase errors at the same time like conventional autofocus techniques because the estimation of the fast-time varying phase errors are seriously affected by blurring in image due to the slow-time varying phase errors. In this paper, we presents an accurate hybrid phase estimation technique using two independent estimation stages of sub-aperture and an iterative golden section search method, which has advantages over several existing methods, because of its better estimation accuracy and less sensitive to the quality of extracted range bins as well as requiring less computation time. The performance of our method is illustrated by simulations of point targets and an experiment with real SAR data.
"A Hybrid SAR Autofocus Technique by Two Methods of Sub-Aperture Estimation and Iterative Golden Section Search," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M,
Vol. 38, 63-71, 2014. doi:10.2528/PIERM14061902
1. Samczynski, P. and K. S. Kulpa, "Coherent mapdrift technique," IEEE Transactions on Geosci. Remote Sens., Vol. 48, No. 3, 1505-1517, 2010. doi:10.1109/TGRS.2009.2032241
2. Xu, J., Y. Peng, and X. G. Xia, "Parametric autofocus of SAR imaging — Inherent accuracy limitations and realization," IEEE Transactions on Geosci. Remote Sens., Vol. 42, No. 11, 2397-2411, 2004. doi:10.1109/TGRS.2004.837335
3. Wahl, D. E., P. H. Eichel, D. C. Ghiglia, and C. V. Jakowatz Jr., "Phase gradient autofocus --- A robust tool for high resolution phase correction," IEEE Trans. on Aerosp. Electron. Syst., Vol. 30, No. 3, 827-835, 1994. doi:10.1109/7.303752
4. Van Rossum, W. L., M. P. G. Otten, and R. J. P. Van Bree, "Extended PGA for range migration algorithms," IEEE Trans. on Aerosp. Electron. Syst., Vol. 42, No. 2, 478-488, 2006. doi:10.1109/TAES.2006.1642565
5. Kolman, J., "PACE: An autofocus algorithm for SAR," Proc. Int. Radar Conf., 310-314, Arlington, VA, 2005.
6. Jakowatz, Jr., C. V. and D. E. Wahl, "Eigenvector method for maximum-likelihood estimation of phase errors in synthetic aperture radar imagery," J. Opt. Soc. Am. A, Vol. 10, No. 12, 2539-2546, 1993. doi:10.1364/JOSAA.10.002539
7. Ye, W., T. S. Yeo, and Z. Bao, "Weighted least-squares estimation of phase errors for SAR/ISAR autofocus," IEEE Transactions on Geosci. Remote Sens., Vol. 37, No. 5, 2487-2494, 1999. doi:10.1109/36.789644
8. Cho, K. M. and L. H. Hui, "Autofocus method based on successive parameter adjustments for contrast optimization,", US Patent 7 145 496, Dec. 5, 2006.
9. Fu, T., M. G. Gao, and Y. He, "An improved scatter selection method for phase gradient autofocus algorithm in SAR/ISAR autofocus," IEEE Int. Conf. Neural Network and Signal Processing, 1054-1057, Dec. 2013.
10. Tang, H., H. Shi, and C. Qi, "Study on improvement of phase gradient autofocus algorithm," First Int. Workshop on Education Technology and Computer Science ETCS 2009, Vol. 2, 58-61, 2009. doi:10.1109/ETCS.2009.275
11. Xi, L., L. Guosui, and J. Ni, "Autofocusing of ISAR images based on entropy minimization," IEEE Trans. on Aerosp. Electron. Syst., Vol. 35, No. 4, 1240-1252, 1999. doi:10.1109/7.805442
12. Calloway, T. M. and G. W. Donohoe, "Subaperture autofocus for synthetic aperture radar," IEEE Trans. on Aerosp. Electron. Syst., Vol. 30, No. 2, 617-621, 1994. doi:10.1109/7.272285
13. Wright, N. J. and J. Stagehen, Numerical Optimization, 2nd Edition, Springer, 2006.
14. Wang, J., X. Liu, and Z. Zhou, "Minimum-entropy phase adjustment for ISAR," IEEE Proc. — Radar Sonar Navigat., Vol. 151, No. 4, 203-209, 2004. doi:10.1049/ip-rsn:20040692
15. Press, W. H., S. A. Teukolsky, W. T. Vetterling, and B. P. Flannery, Numerical Recipes: The Art of Scientific Computing, 3rd Edition, Cambridge University Press , 2007.
16. Kragh, T. J. and A. A. Kharbouch, "Monotonic iterative algorithms for SAR image reconstruction," IEEE Int. Conf. on Image Processing, 645-648, Oct. 2006.