In this paper, a co-prime symmetric sparse cross array is employed to estimate two-dimensional (2-D) direction-of-arrival (DOA). Some special forth-order-cumulants (FOCs) of array received data are used to construct a high-order matrix that is equivalent to a cross-covariance matrix based on two uniform linear arrays. After some modifications, an existing 2-D DOA estimation algorithm becomes more effective, and it shows further improved performance when the co-prime symmetric cross array is utilized. Numerical simulations demonstrate the effectiveness of our methods.
1. Zhang, X., X. Gao, G. Feng, and D. Xu, "Blind joint DOA and DOD estimation and identifiability results for MIMO radar with different transmit receive array manifolds," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 18, 101-119, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIERB09050603
2. Albagory, Y. A., "Performance of 2-D DOA estimation for stratospheric platforms communications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 36, 109-116, 2014. doi:10.2528/PIERM14033102
3. Ma, W. K., T. H. Hsieh, and C. Y. Chi, "DOA estimation of quasi-stationary signals with less sensors than sources and unknown spatial noise covariance: A Khatri-Rao subspace approach," IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, Vol. 58, No. 4, 2168-2180, 2010. doi:10.1109/TSP.2009.2034935
4. Vaidyanathan, P. P. and P. Pal, "Sparse sensing with co-prime samplers and arrays," IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, Vol. 59, No. 2, 573-586, 2011. doi:10.1109/TSP.2010.2089682
5. Pal, P. and P. P. Vaidyanathan, "Multiple level nested array: An efficient geometry for 2qth order cumulant based array processing," IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, Vol. 60, No. 3, 1253-1269, 2012. doi:10.1109/TSP.2011.2178410
6. Pal, P. and P. P. Vaidyanathan, "Nested arrays: A novel approach to array processing with enhanced degrees of freedom," IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, Vol. 58, No. 8, 4167-4181, 2010. doi:10.1109/TSP.2010.2049264
7. Hu, N., Z. F. Ye, X. Xu, and M. Bao, "DOA estimation for sparse array via sparse signal reconstruction," IEEE Transactions on Aeronautics and Electronic Systems, Vol. 49, No. 2, 760-773, 2013. doi:10.1109/TAES.2013.6494379
8. Liang, G. L. and B. Han, "Near-field sources localization based on co-prime symmetric array," Journal of and Information Technology, Vol. 36, No. 1, 135-139, 2014.
9. Gu, J. F. and P. Wei, "Joint SVD of two cross-correlation matrices to achieve automatic pairing in 2-D angle estimation problems," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 6, 553-556, 2007. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2007.907913
10. Chen, J., S. X. Wang, and X. L Wei, "New method for estimating two-dimensional direction of arrival based on L-shape array," Journal of Jilin University (Engineering and Technology), Vol. 1, No. 4, 590-593, 2006.
11. Nie, X. and L. P. Li, "A computationally efficient subspace algorithm for 2-D DOA estimation with L-shaped array," IEEE Signal Process. Lett., Vol. 21, No. 8, 971-974, 2014. doi:10.1109/LSP.2014.2321791
12. Gan, L., W. F. Lin, X. Y. Luo, and P. Wei, "Estimation 2-D angle of arrival with a cross-correlation matrix," Journal of the Chinese Institute of Engineers, Vol. 36, No. 5, 667-671, 2013. doi:10.1080/02533839.2012.734590
13. Kikuchi, S., H. Tsuji, and A. Sano, "Pair-matching method for estimating 2-D angle with a crosscorrelation matrix," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 5, 35-40, 2006. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2005.863610
14. Liang, J. and D. Liu, "Two L-shaped array-based 2-D DOAs estimation in the presence of mutual coupling," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 112, 273-298, 2011.