This paper presents a novel approach for solving the frequency responses of a powerline network, which is a two-parallel-conductor system with multiple junctions and branches. By correcting the reflection coefficient and transmission coefficient of each junction, a complex network can be decomposed into several, single-junction, units. Based on the Baum-Liu-Tesche (BLT) equation, we preliminarily propose the calculation method of frequency responses for single-junction network. In accordance with the direction of power transfer, we calculate the frequency responses of loads connected to each junction sequentially, from the perspective of the network structure. This approach greatly simplifies the computational complexity of the network frequency responses. To verify the proposed algorithm, networks with various numbers of junctions and branches are investigated, and the results are compared with a commercial electromagnetic simulator based on the topology. The analytical results agree well with the simulated ones.
"An Efficient Method for Solving Frequency Responses of Power-Line Networks," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B,
Vol. 62, 303-317, 2015. doi:10.2528/PIERB15013008
1. Anatory, J., N. Theethayi, and R. Thottappillil, "Power-line communication channel model for interconnected networks --- Part I: Two-conductor system," IEEE Trans. Power Del., Vol. 24, No. 1, 118-123, 2009. doi:10.1109/TPWRD.2008.2005679
2. Anatory, J., N. Theethayi, R. Thottappillil, et al. "A broadband power-line communication system design scheme for typical Tanzanian low-voltage network," IEEE Trans. Power Del., Vol. 24, No. 3, 1218-1224, 2009. doi:10.1109/TPWRD.2009.2014478
3. Anatory, J., N. Theethayi, R. Thottappillil, et al. "Expressions for current/voltage distribution in broadband power-line communication networks involving branches," IEEE Trans. Power Del., Vol. 23, No. 1, 188-195, 2008. doi:10.1109/TPWRD.2007.911024
4. Anatory, J., N. Theethayi, R. Thottappillil, et al. "An experimental validation for broadband power-line communication (BPLC) model," IEEE Trans. Power Del., Vol. 23, No. 3, 1380-1383, 2008. doi:10.1109/TPWRD.2008.916739
5. Anatory, J., M. M. Kissaka, and N. H. Mvungi, et al., "Channel model for broadband power-line communication," IEEE Trans. Power Del., Vol. 22, No. 1, 135-141, 2007. doi:10.1109/TPWRD.2006.881597
6. Ding, X. and J. Meng, "Channel estimation and simulation of an indoor power-line network via a recursive time-domain solution," IEEE Trans. Power Del., Vol. 24, No. 1, 144-152, 2009. doi:10.1109/TPWRD.2008.917691
7. Shin, J., J. Lee, and J. Jeong, "Channel modeling for indoor broadband power-line communications networks with arbitrary topologies by taking adjacent nodes into account," IEEE Trans. Power Del., Vol. 26, No. 3, 1432-1439, 2011. doi:10.1109/TPWRD.2010.2103331
8. Zheng, T., M. Raugi, and M. Tucci, "Time-invariant characteristics of naval power-line channels," IEEE Trans. Power Del., Vol. 27, No. 2, 858-865, 2012. doi:10.1109/TPWRD.2011.2181542
9. Baum, C. E., "How to think about EMP interaction," Proceedings of the 1974 Spring FULMEN Meeting, 1974.
10. Baum, C. E., T. K. Liu, and F. M. Tesche, "On the analysis of general multiconductor transmission-line networks," Interaction Note 350, 467-547, 1978.
11. Baum, C. E., "Generalization of the BLT equation," Proc. 13th Zurich EMC Symp., 131-136, 1999.