A novel printed antenna with a slotted patch and a defected ground structure (DGS) for dual-band operation is presented. By inserting an I-shaped slot into the patch and defecting the ground plane, triple-mode resonance for achieving dual operation bands, especially an extremely wide bandwidth for the higher band, can be excited. The measured bandwidths are 100 MHz (2.38-2.49 GHz) and 2.94 GHz (3.4-6.34 GHz) for the lower and upper bands, respectively, which agree well with the simulation. The experimental average gains across the two operating bands are 1.0 and 3.9 dBi, respectively, with typical radiation patterns for a patch antenna having a defective ground. The proposed antenna with a compact size of only 22×25 mm2 sufficiently covers performance requirement of the 2.4/5.2/5.8 GHz WLAN and the 3.5/5.5 GHz WiMAX operation systems.
1. Rajeshkumar, V. and S. Raghavan, "Trapezoidal ring quad-band fractal antenna for WLAN/WiMAX applications," Microwave and Optical Technology Lett., Vol. 56, 2545-2548, 2014. doi:10.1002/mop.28631
2. Verma, S. and P. Kumar, "Compact triple-band antenna for WiMAX and WLAN applications," Electronics Letters, Vol. 50, 484-485, 2014. doi:10.1049/el.2013.4313
3. Dong, X., Z. Liao, J. Xu, Q. Cai, and G. Liu, "Multiband and wideband planar antenna for WLAN and WiMAX applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 46, 101-106, 2014. doi:10.2528/PIERL14050103
4. Huang, S. S., J. Li, and J. Z. Zhao, "A novel compact planar triple-band monopole antenna for WLAN/WiMAX applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 50, 117-123, 2014. doi:10.2528/PIERL14072905
5. Karimian, R., H. Oraizi, S. Fakhte, and M. Farahani, "Novel F-shaped quad-band printed slot antenna for WLAN and WiMAX MIMO systems," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 12, 405-408, 2013. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2013.2252140
6. Koo, T. W., D. Kim, J. I. Ryu, J. C. Kim, and J. G. Yook, "A coupled dual-U-shaped monopole antenna for WiMAX triple-band operations," Microwave and Optical Technology Lett., Vol. 53, 745-748, 2011. doi:10.1002/mop.25842
7. Han, Y., Y.-Z. Yin, Y.-Q. Wei, Y. Zhao, B. Li, and X.-N. Li, "A novel triple-band monopole antenna with doubled coupled C-shaped strips for WLAN/WiMAX applications," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 25, No. 8-9, 1308-1316, 2011. doi:10.1163/156939311795762150
8. Chen, W. S. and Y. H. Yu, "Compact design of T-type monopole antenna with asymmetrical ground plane for WLAN/WiMAX applications," Microwave and Optical Technology Lett., Vol. 50, 515-519, 2008. doi:10.1002/mop.23120
9. Kandwal, A., R. Sharma, and S. K. Khah, "Bandwidth enhancement using Z-shaped defected ground structure for a microstrip antenna," Microwave and Optical Technology Lett., Vol. 55, 2251-2254, 2013. doi:10.1002/mop.27836
10. Liu, W. C., C. M. Wu, and Y. Dai, "Design of triple-frequency microstrip-fed monopole antenna using defected ground structure," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 59, 2457-2463, 2011. doi:10.1109/TAP.2011.2152315
11. Pei, J., A. G. Wang, S. Gao, and . Leng, "Miniaturized triple-band antenna with a defected ground plane for WLAN/WiMAX applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 10, 298-301, 2011.
12. Liu, W. C. and C. F. Hsu, "Dual-band CPW-fed Y-shaped monopole antenna for PCS/WLAN application," Electronics Letters, Vol. 41, 390-391, Mar. 2005. doi:10.1049/el:20057887