An electrodeless measurement technique of complex dielectric permittivity of high-K dielectric films is described. The technique is based on a quasi-optic Fabry-Perot resonator and modified for investigation of two-layer dielectric structures --- substrate/K-film. This procedure is destined to be used for providing a simple intermediate control of parameters of high-K films before the following technological process. Regimes of measurements providing the most sensitive conditions for definition of film parameters are considered. The proposed method is tested on two-layer structures with well-known parameters and is used for characterization of ferroelectric (Ba,Sr)TiO3 films in the millimeter wavelength range (~50 GHz).
Igor V. KotelnikovAndrey AltynnikovAnatoly Konstantinovich MikhailovValentina V. MedvedevaAndrey B. Kozyrev
, "Electrodeless Measurement Technique of Complex Dielectric Permittivity of High-k
Dielectric Films in the Millimeter Wavelength Range," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M,
Vol. 52, 161-167, 2016. doi:10.2528/PIERM16100505 http://www.jpier.org/PIERM/pier.php?paper=16100505
1. Chen, L. F., C. K. Ong, C. P. Neo, V. V. Varadan, and V. K. Varadan, Microwave Electronics. Measurement and Materials Characterization, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., 2004. doi:10.1002/0470020466
2. Spartak, G., Ferroelectrics in Microwave Devices, Circuits and Systems: Physics, Modeling, Fabrication and Measurements, Springer Science & Business Media, 2009.
3. Jerzy, K., "Frequency domain complex permittivity measurements at microwave frequencies," Measurement Science and Technolpgy, Institute of Physics, Meas. Sci. Technol., 17, 2006.
4. Lee, C.-S. and C.-L. Yang, "Thickness and permittivity measurement in multi-layered dielectric structures using complementary split-ring resonators," IEEE Sensors Journal, Vol. 14, No. 3, March 2014. doi:10.1109/JSEN.2013.2285918
5. Clarke, R. N. and C. B. Rosenberg, "Fabry-Perot and open resonators at microwave and millimeter wave frequencies, 2-300 GHz," Journal of Physics E: Scientific Instruments, Vol. 15, 1982.
6. Krupka, J., A. Cwikla, M. Mrozowski, R. N. Clarke, and M. E. Tobar, "High Q-factor microwave Fabry-Perot resonator with distributed Bragg reflectors," IEEE Trans. Ultrason. Ferroelectr. Freq. Control, Vol. 52, 2005.
7. Yao, Y., H. Cui, J. Wang, E. Li, and B. Tao, "Broadband measurement of complex permittivity by an open resonator at 20-40 GHz," International Conference on IEEE Communication Problem-Solving (ICCP), 2014.
8. Gui, Y. F., W. B. Dou, P. G. Su, and K. Yin, "Improvement of open resonator technique for dielectric measurement at millimeter wavelengths," IET Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 3, No. 7, 2009. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2008.0179
9. Libich, J., P. Dvorak, P. Piksa, and S. Zvanovec, "Correction of thermal deviations in Fabry-Perot resonator based measurements of specific gases in millimeter wave bands," Radioengineering, Vol. 21, No. 1, 459, April 2012.
10. Hong, Y.-P., H. Koo, and M. J. Salter, "Measurement of high-permittivity dielectric characteristics at microwave and mm-wave frequencies," Conference on Precision Electromagnetic Measurements (CPEM 2016), July 2016.
11. Quan, W., D. J. Downing, and M. NurulAfsar, "A signal processing approach for recovery of precision high-Q dielectric resonance profile measurements," 2016 Conference on Precision Electromagnetic Measurements (CPEM 2016), July 2016.
12. Anatoli, D. and G. Spartak, "Open resonator technique for measuring multilayered dielectric plates," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 53, No. 9, 2005.
13. Yu, P. K. and A. L. Cullen, "Measurement of permittivity by means of an open resonator," Proc. R. Soc. London: Ser. A., Vol. 380, 1982.
14. David, P., Microwave Engineering, 4th Ed., John Wiley & Sons Inc., 2012.
15. Cullen, A. L., "Millimeter-wave open-resonator techniques," International Journal of Infrared and Millimeter Waves, Vol. 10, Springer, 1983.
16. Andrey, K., K. Alexei, N. Elizaveta, O. Vitaly, and K. Dmitry, "Observation of an anomalous correlation between permittivity and tunability of a doped (Ba,Sr)TiO3 ferroelectric ceramic developed for microwave applications," Applied Physics Letters, Vol. 95, 012908, 2009.
17. Vendik, O. G. and S. P. Zubko, "Ferroelectric phase transition and maximum dielectric permittivity of displacement type ferroelectrics (BaxSr1-xTiO3)," Journal of Applied Physics, Vol. 88, 5343, 2000. doi:10.1063/1.1317243
18. Tagantsev, A. K., V. O. Sherman, K. F. Astafiev, J. Venkatesh, and N. Setter, "Ferroelectric materials for microwave tunable applications," Journal of Electroceramics, Vol. 11, 2003.