The evaluation of the magnetic field from double-circuit twisted three-phase power cable lines misses a sound and exhaustive theoretical and experimental treatment in the literature. This paper presents a rigorous approach to the calculation of the magnetic field from double-circuit twisted three-phase cables, whereby the magnetic field generated by such cables is computed as the vector sum of the two individual fields generated by each twisted three-phase cable. This approach is validated by means of extensive measurements of the magnetic field from single- and double-circuit twisted three-phase power cables - provided by Italian utilities - identical to those installed in the field.
1. Pettersson, P. and N. Schonborg, "Reduction of power system magnetic field by configuration twist," IEEE Trans. on Power Delivery, Vol. 12, No. 4, 1678-1683, Oct. 1997. doi:10.1109/61.634190
2. Lindberg, L., "Reduction of magnetic fields from electric power and installation lines," IEE Proceedings — Science, Measurement and Technology, Vol. 145, No. 5, 215-221, Sep. 1998. doi:10.1049/ip-smt:19981979
3. Yang, C.-F., G. G. Lai, C.-T. Su, and H. M. Huang, "Mitigation of magnetic field using three-phase four-wire twisted cables," Int’l Trans. on Electr. Energy Sys., Vol. 23, No. 1, 13-23, Jan. 2013. doi:10.1002/etep.636
4. International Commission for Non-Ionizing Radiation Protection (ICNIRP), "Guidelines for limiting exposure to time varying electric, magnetic and electromagnetic fields (up to 300 GHz)," Health Physics, Vol. 74, 494-522, Apr. 1998.
5. Council of the European Community (CEC), "Council Recommendation of 12 July 1999 on the Limitation of Exposure of the General Public to Electromagnetic Fields (0 Hz to 300 GHz)," Official Journal of the European Communities, L199, 59-65, 1999.
6. DPCM July 8th 2003, "Fissazione dei limiti di esposizione, dei valori di attenzione e degli obiettivi di qualit`a per la protezione della popolazione dalle esposizioni ai campi elettrici e magnetici alla frequenza di rete (50 Hz) generati dagli elettrodotti," Gazzetta Ufficiale, No. 200, Aug. 29th, 2003 (in Italian).
7. Buchholz, H., "Elektrische Stromungsfelder mit Schraubenstruktur," Elektrische Nachrichtentechnik, Band 14, Heft 8, 264-280, 1937.
8. Moser, J. R., R. F. Spencer, and Jr., "Predicting the magnetic fields from a twisted-pair cable," IEEE Trans. on Electromagnetic Compatibility, Vol. 10, No. 3, 324-329, Sep. 1968. doi:10.1109/TEMC.1968.302936
9. Shenfeld, S., "Magnetic fields of twisted-wire pairs," IEEE Trans. on Electromagnetic Compatibility, Vol. 11, No. 4, 164-169, Nov. 1969.
10. Haber, F., "The magnetic field in the vicinity of parallel and twisted three-wire cable carrying balanced three-phased current," IEEE Trans. on Electromagnetic Compatibility, Vol. 16, No. 2, May 1974.
11. Hagel, R., L. Gong, and R. Unbehauen, "On the magnetic field of an infinitely long helical line current," IEEE Trans. on Magnetics, Vol. 30, No. 1, 80-84, Jan. 1994. doi:10.1109/20.272518
12. Ehrich, M., J. Kuhlmann, and D. Netzler, "Models of a cable bunch formed by twisted three-phase cables," Proceedings EMC’97, 463-466, Beijing, China, May 1997.
13. Pettersson, P. and N. Sch¨onborg, "Predicting the magnetic field from twisted three-phase arrangement," IEEE International Symposium on Electromagnetic Compatibility, 513-517, Austin, USA, Aug. 18–22, 1997.
14. Mazzanti, G., M. Landini, and E. Kandia, "A Simple Innovative Method to Calculate the Magnetic Field Generated by twisted three-phase power cables," IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery, Vol. 25, No. 4, 2646-2654, Oct. 2010. doi:10.1109/TPWRD.2010.2049130
15. Mazzanti, G., M. Landini, E. Kandia, C. Biserni, and M. Marzinotto, "Innovative calculation methods of the magnetic field from single and double-circuit twisted three-phase cables widely used in MV and LV installations," Central European Journal of Engineering, Versita Publ. (copubl. Springer-Verlag), Vol. 2, No. 2, 212-223, Jun. 2012.
16. Karady, G. G., K. E. Holbert, S. G. Adhikari, and M. L. Dyer, "Survey of underground cable generated magnetic fields in a residential subdivision," Proceedings of the Transmission and Distribution Conference and Exposition 2008 (T&D. IEEE/PES), 21-24, Chicago, IL, USA, Apr. 2008.
17. Holbert, K. E., G. G. Karady, S. G. Adhikari, and M. L. Dyer, "Magnetic fields produced by underground residential distribution system," IEEE Trans. on Power Delivery, Vol. 24, No. 3, 1616-1622, Jul. 2009. doi:10.1109/TPWRD.2009.2014276
18., Standard CEI-UNEL 35011, Cavi per energia e segnalamento, Sigle di Designazione, 2nd Ed., 2000 (in Italian).