This paper presents a heart-shaped planar monopole antenna for ultra-wideband (UWB) applications. To increase the impedance bandwidth of the antenna and achieve UWB coverage, we use a heart-shaped radiating patch fed by a microstrip line and an elliptical curved ground plane. Based on this structure, by etching an annular slot loaded with a capacitor in the heart-shaped radiating patch, a planar band-notched UWB antenna can also be obtained. Specifically, to demonstrate the potential application of the proposed structure, a UWB antenna design with a reconfigurable notched band is presented by using a varactor to replace the capacitor. Commercial software ANSYS HFSS is used to analyze and design this antenna. Measured results of the fabricated antenna show good agreement with simulated ones.
"UWB Heart-Shaped Planar Monopole Antenna with a Reconfigurable Notched Band," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters,
Vol. 65, 123-130, 2017. doi:10.2528/PIERL16120203
1. Federal Communications Commission, Washington, DC, "FCC report and order on ultra wideband technology,", 2002. doi:10.1109/TAP.2005.858598
2. Liang, J., C. Chiau, X. Chen, and C. Parini, "Study of a printed circular disc monopole antenna for UWB systems," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 53, No. 11, 3500-3504, Nov. 2005.
3. Xu, H.-Y., H. Zhang, K. Lu, and X.-F. Zeng, "A holly-leaf-shaped monopole antenna with low RCS for UWB application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 117, 35-50, 2011. doi:10.1109/TAP.2012.2196954
4. Lu, J. and C. Yeh, "Planar broadband arc-shaped monopole antenna for UWB system," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 60, No. 7, 3091-3095, May 2012. doi:10.1109/TAP.2014.2313855
5. Dikmen, C. M., S. Cimen, and G. Cakir, "Planar octagonal-shaped UWB antenna with reduced radar cross section," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 62, No. 6, 2946-2953, Jun. 2014. doi:10.1109/TAP.2015.2447006
6. Alsath, M. and M. Kanagasabai, "Compact UWB monopole antenna for automotive communications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 63, No. 9, 4204-4208, May 2015. doi:10.1109/TAP.2007.908800
7. Bahadori, K. and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "A miniaturized elliptic-card UWB antenna with WLAN band rejection for wireless communications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 55, No. 11, 3326-3332, Nov. 2007. doi:10.1109/TAP.2006.874354
8. Cho, Y., K. Kim, D. Choi, S. Lee, and S. Park, "A miniature UWB planar monopole antenna with 5-GHz band-rejection filter and the time-domain characteristics," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 54, No. 5, 1453-1460, May 2006. doi:10.1109/TAP.2007.908792
9. Dissanayake, T. and K. P. Esselle, "Prediction of the notch frequency of slot loaded printed UWB antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 55, No. 11, 3320-3325, Nov. 2007. doi:10.1109/TAP.2009.2021910
10. Dong, Y. D., W. Hong, Z. Q. Kuai, and J. X. Chen, "Analysis of planar ultrawideband antennas with on ground slot band notched structures," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 57, No. 7, 1886-1893, 2009. doi:10.1109/TAP.2016.2585183
11. Horestani, A. K., Z. Shaterian, J. Naqui, F. Martin, and C. Fumeaux, "Reconfigurable and tunable s-shaped split-ring resonators and application in band-notched UWB antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 64, No. 9, 3766-3776, Jun. 2016.
12. Peng, L. and C. Ruan, "UWB band-notched monopole antenna design using electromagnetic-electromagneticbandgap," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 59, No. 4, 1074-1081, Mar. 2011. doi:10.2528/PIER08022603
13. Fallahi, R., A. A. Kalteh, and M. G. Roozbahani, "A novel UWB elliptical slot antenna with band-notched characteristics," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 82, 127-136, 2008. doi:10.1109/TAP.2009.2024450
14. Nikolaou, S., N. D. Kingsley, G. E. Ponchak, J. Papapolymerou, and M. M. Tentzeris, "UWB elliptical monopoles with a reconfigurable band notch using MEMS switches actuated without bias lines," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 57, No. 8, 2242-2251, 2009. doi:10.1049/el:20071567
15. Antonino-Daviu, E., M. Cabedo-Fabres, M. Ferrando-Bataller, and A. Vila-Jamenez, "Active UWB antenna with tunable band-notched behavior," Electronics Lett., Vol. 43, No. 18, 959-960, 2007. doi:10.1109/TAP.2013.2273812
16. Aghdam, S. A., "Reconfigurable UWB antenna using a switchable PIN diode and tunable varactor diode for band rejection behavior," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 61, No. 10, 5223-5228, Oct. 2013. doi:10.1109/TAP.2015.2434389
17. Hua, C., Y. Lu, and T. Liu, "Printed UWB heart-shaped monopole antenna with band-notch reconfigurability," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 63, No. 8, 3345-3353, Aug. 2015. doi:10.1109/TAP.2007.910486
18. Hong, C., C. Ling, I. Tarn, and S. Chung, "Design of a planar ultrawideband antenna with a new band-notch structure," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 55, No. 12, 3391-3397, 2007.
20. Nguyen-Trong, N., T. Kaufmann, L. Hall, and C. Fumeaux, "Analysis and design of a reconfigurable antenna based on half-mode substrate-integrated cavity," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 63, No. 8, 3345-3353, Aug. 2015. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2010.2099095
21. Zhang, K., Y. Li, and Y. Long, "Band-notched UWB printed monopole antenna with a novel segmented circular patch," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propag. Letters, Vol. 9, 1209-1212, 2010. doi:10.1080/09205071.2013.756796
22. Li, T., H. Zhai, C. Zhu, L. Li, C. Liang, and Y. Han, "Design and analysis of compact printed dual band-notched ultrawideband (UWB) antenna," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 27, No. 5, 560-571, 2013.