Two-Dimensional Direction of Arrival (2D-DOA) estimation is increasingly important in recent years. In this paper, a new method is proposed to estimate the 2D-DOAs of multiple spatial sources using a three-parallel uniform linear array assuming that some of the sensors happen to be out-of-order. Firstly, a Matrix Completion (MC) algorithm is applied to recover the observed incomplete data, and then an improved joint azimuth and elevation angle estimation algorithm using the recovered data is proposed to obtain the correct parameter estimation. Finally, computer simulation results show that the proposed algorithm has a great performance improvement compared to those based on incomplete data in terms of Signal-to-Noise Ratio (SNR) and the sample rate of sensors.
"Joint Azimuth and Elevation Angle Estimation Using Matrix Completion Method," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M,
Vol. 57, 197-203, 2017. doi:10.2528/PIERM17030402
1. Krim, H. and M. Viberg, "Two decades of array signal processing research: The parametric approach," IEEE Signal Processing Magazine, Vol. 13, No. 4, 67-94, 1996. doi:10.1109/79.526899
2. Roy, R. and T. Kailath, "Esprit-estimation of signal parameters via rotational invariance techniques," IEEE Transactions on Acoustics Speech & Signal Processing, Vol. 37, No. 7, 984-995, 1989. doi:10.1109/29.32276
3. Wang, G., J. Xin, N. Zheng, and A. Sano, "Computationally efficient subspace-based method for two-dimensional direction estimation with L-shaped array," IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, Vol. 59, No. 7, 3197-3212, 2011. doi:10.1109/TSP.2011.2144591
4. Liang, J. and D. Liu, "Joint elevation and azimuth direction finding using L-shaped array," IEEE Transactions on Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 58, No. 6, 2136-2141, 2010. doi:10.1109/TAP.2010.2046838
5. Liang, J., X. Zeng, W. Wang, and H. Chen, "L-shaped array-based elevation and azimuth direction finding in the presence of mutual coupling," Signal Processing, Vol. 91, No. 5, 1319-1328, 2011. doi:10.1016/j.sigpro.2010.12.001
6. Wu, Y., X. Pei, and H. C. So, "Utilizing principal singular vectors for 2D DOA estimation in single snapshot case with uniform rectangular array," International Journal of Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 2015, 1-6, 2015.
7. Wu, Y., L. Amir, J. R. Jensen, and G. Liao, "Joint pitch and DOA estimation using the ESPRIT method," IEEE/ACM Transactions on Audio Speech & Language Processing, Vol. 23, No. 1, 32-45, 2015. doi:10.1109/TASLP.2014.2367817
8. Reyna, A. and M. A. Panduro, "Optimization of a scannable pattern for uniform planar antenna arrays to minimize the side lobe level," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 22, No. 16, 2241-2250, 2008. doi:10.1163/156939308787522564
9. Yuan, Q., Q. Chen, and K. Sawaya, "Accurate doa estimation using array antenna with arbitrary geometry," IEEE Transactions on Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 53, No. 4, 1352-1357, 2005. doi:10.1109/TAP.2005.844409
10. Chen, H., C. Hou, Q. Wang, L. Huang, W. Yan, and L. Pu, "Improved azimuth/elevation angle estimation algorithm for three-parallel uniform linear arrays," IEEE Antennas & Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 14, 329-332, 2015. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2014.2360419
11. Wu, Y., G. Liao, and H. C. So, "A fast algorithm for 2-D direction-of-arrival estimation," Signal Processing, Vol. 83, No. 8, 1827-1831, 2003. doi:10.1016/S0165-1684(03)00118-X
12. Yerriswamy, T. and S. N. Jagadeesha, "Joint azimuth and elevation angle estimation using incomplete data generated by a faculty antenna array," Signal & Image Processing, Vol. 3, No. 6, 99-114, 2012.
13. Lin, Z., M. Chen, and Y. Ma, "The augmented lagrange multiplier method for exact recovery of corrupted low-rank matrices," Eprint Arxiv, Vol. 9, 2009.
14. Savas, B. and D. Lindgren, "Rank reduction and volume minimization approach to state-space subspace system identification," Signal Processing, Vol. 86, No. 86, 3275-3285, 2006. doi:10.1016/j.sigpro.2006.01.008
15. Iglesias, R., F. Ares, M. Fernandez-Delgado, J. Rodriguez, J. Bregains, and S. Barro, "Element failure detection in linear antenna arrays using case-based reasoning," IEEE Antennas & Propagation Magazine, Vol. 50, No. 4, 198-204, 2008. doi:10.1109/MAP.2008.4653709
16. Cand`es, E. J. and B. Recht, "Exact matrix completion via convex optimization," Foundations of Computational Mathematics, Vol. 9, No. 6, 717-772, 2008. doi:10.1007/s10208-009-9045-5
17. Cai, J. F., E. J. Candés, and Z. Shen, "A singular value thresholding algorithm for matrix completion," Siam Journal on Optimization, Vol. 20, No. 4, 1956-1982, 2010. doi:10.1137/080738970