This paper presents a new hybrid switching technique for enhanced pulse mode solid-state power amplifiers (SSPAs). In the proposed technique, pulse timing for bias stabilization is effectively decoupled from pulse amplification. The decoupling allows fast pulse switching by reducing the pulse width and increasing the pulse repetition frequency (PRF). The new switching method is applied to an X-band SSPA using GaN HEMT. The advantage of the proposed method is demonstrated by its excellent pulse characteristic. The proposed technique achieves a fast PRF of 100 kHz and a narrow pulse width of 1 μsec. The measured rise/fall time (RFT) is 12.5/11.1 nsec, which is more than four times less than that of previous works. In addition, an excellent pulse droop of 0.43 dB is achieved with an output power of 51.3 dBm at 9.9 GHz. The fabricated SSPA shows a maximum output power of 135 W, a small-signal gain of 47 dB, and power added efficiency (PAE) of 28.2% at 9.9 GHz. These results show that the proposed pulse switching technique provides a promising solution for SSPAs using a high-power GaN HEMT.
"An X-Band 100 W GaN
HEMT Power Amplifier Using a Hybrid Switching Method for Fast Pulse Switching," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B,
Vol. 78, 1-14, 2017. doi:10.2528/PIERB17030603
1. Rawat, K. and F. Ghannouchi, "Design methodology for dual-band Doherty power amplifier with performance enhancement using dual-band offset lines," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 59, No. 12, 4831-4842, Dec. 2012. doi:10.1109/TIE.2011.2176695
2. Tanany, A., A. Sayed, and G. Boeck, "Design of class F−1 power amplifier using GaN pHEMT for industrial applications," Proc. German Microw. Conf., Vol. 1, 1-4, Munich, Germany, 2009.
3. Cheng, N.-S., P. Jia, D. B. Rensch, and R. A. York, "A 120-W X-band spatially combined solid-state amplifier," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 47, No. 12, 2557-2561, Dec. 1999. doi:10.1109/22.809006
4. Wakejima, A., K. Matsunaga, T. Asano, T. Hirano, and M. Funabashi, "C-band GaAs FET power amplifiers with 70-W output power and 50% PAE for satellite communication use," IEEE Compound Semiconductor IC Symp. Digest, 57-60, Oct. 2003.
5. Kikkawa, T., T. Maniwa, H. Hayashi, M. Kanamura, S. Yokokawa, M. Nishi, N. Adachi, M. Yokoyama, Y. Tateno, and K. Joshin, "An over 200-W output power GaN HEMT push-pull amplifier with high reliability," IEEE MTT-S Int. Microwave Symp. Dig., 1347-1350, Jun. 2003.
6. Wakejima, A., K. Matsunaga, Y. Okamoto, Y. Ando, T. Nakayama, K. Kasahara, and H. Miyamoto, "280 W output power single-ended amplifier using single-die GaN-FET forW-CDMA cellular base stations," Electron. Lett., Vol. 41, 1004-1005, 2005. doi:10.1049/el:20052513
7. Kanto, K., A. Satomi, Y. Asahi, Y. Kashiwabara, K. Matsushita, and K. Takagi, "An X-band 250W solid-state power amplifier using GaN power HEMTs," IEEE Radio and Wireless Symp., 77-80, Jan. 2008.
8. Mishra, U. K., P. Parikh, and Y.-F. Wu, "AlGaN/GaN HEMTs-an overview of device operation and applications," Proc. IEEE, Vol. 90, No. 6, 1022-1031, Jun. 2002. doi:10.1109/JPROC.2002.1021567
9. Kumar, V., J.-W. Lee, A. Kuliev, O. Atkas, R. Schwindt, R. Birkhahn, D. Gotthold, S. Guo, B. Albert, and I. Adesida, "High performance 0.25 µm gate-length AlGaN/GaN HEMTs on 6H-SiC with power density of 6.7 W/mm at 18 GHz," Electron. Lett., Vol. 39, No. 22, 1609-1610, Oct. 2003. doi:10.1049/el:20030985
10. Lee, J.-W., L. F. Eastman, and K. J. Webb, "Gallium nitride push-pull microwave power amplifiers," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 51, No. 11, 2243-2249, Nov. 2003.
11. Mishra, U. K., S. Likun, T. E. Kazior, and Y.-F. Wu, "GaN based RF power devices and amplifiers," Proc. IEEE, Vol. 96, No. 2, 287-305, Feb. 2008. doi:10.1109/JPROC.2007.911060
12. Krishnamurthy, K., J. Martin, B. Landberg, R. Vetury, and M. J. Poulton, "Wideband 400 W pulsed power GaN HEMT amplifiers," IEEE MTT-S Int. Microw. Symp. Dig., 303-306, Jun. 2008.
13. Fornetti, F., K. A. Morris, and M. A. Beach, "Pulsed operation and performance of commercial GaN HEMTs," European Microwave Integrated Circuits Conf., 226-229, Sept. 2009.
14. Shigematsu, H., Y. Inoue, A. Akasegawa, M. Yamada, S. Masuda, Y. Kamada, A. Yamada, M. Kanamura, T. Ohki, K. Makiyama, N. Okamoto, K. Imanishi, T. Kikkawa, K. Joshin, and N. Hara, "C-band 340-W and X-band 100-W GaN power amplifiers with over 50% PAE," IEEE MTT-S Int. Microw. Symp. Dig., 1265-1268, Jun. 2008.
15. Dhar, J., R. K. Arora, S. K. Garg, M. K. Patel, and B. V. Bakori, "Performance enhancement of pulsed solid state power amplifier using drain modulation over gate modulation," Int. Symp. Signals, Circuits and Systems, 81-84, Jul. 2009.
16. Wu, Y.-F., S. M. Wood, R. P. Smith, S. T. Sheppard, S. T. Allen, P. A. Parikh, and J. W. Milligan, "An internally-matched GaN HEMT amplifier with 550-watt peak power at 3.5 GHz," Int. Electron Device Meeting, 1-3, Dec. 2006.
17. Mitani, E., M. Aojima, and S. Sano, "A kW-class AlGaN/GaN HEMT pallet amplifier for S-band high power application," European Microwave Integrated Circuits Conf., 176-179, Oct. 2007.
18. Sklar, B., Digital Communications, Prentice-Hall, 2001.
19. Baliga, B. J., Power Semiconductor Devices, PWS, 1995.
20. Ren, Y., M. Xu, J. Zhou, and F. C. Lee, "Analytical loss model of power MOSFET," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 21, No. 2, 310-318, Mar. 2006. doi:10.1109/TPEL.2005.869743
22. Brady, R. G., C. H. Oxley, and T. J. Brazil, "An improved small-signal parameter extraction algorithm for GaN HEMT devices," IEEE Tran. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 56, No. 7, 1535-1544, Jul. 2008. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2008.925212
23. Raggl, K., T. Nussbaumer, and J. W. Kolar, "Guideline for a simplified differential-mode EMI filter design," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 57, No. 3, 1031-1040, Mar. 2010. doi:10.1109/TIE.2009.2028293