The ionospheric GPS signal delay which is a function of TEC plays a major role in the estimation positional accuracy of satellite based navigation systems and detrimental to position estimation especially in strategic applications. Ionospheric TEC is a function of geographical location (Latitude, Longitude), time, season, etc. In this paper, we propose a system theory based Grey Model (GM(1,1)) which uses past and present data for forecasting TEC (GPS signal delay). In this model, data of nine sequential days data from five stations of a GPS Aided Geo Augmented Navigation (GAGAN) system network located at different places representing different latitudes, longitudes and equatorial anomaly regions are used to forecast the 10th day TEC values of each of these stations. The performance of the model is assessed by comparing the statistical parameters such as Standard Deviation (SD) and Mean Square Deviation (MSD). The forecasted results are very encouraging. For all the considered five stations, forecasting is better for post sunset time than day time. Also, the results indicate that SD and MSD values are comparatively more for Trivandrum (near geomagnetic equator) and Ahmedabad (near the crest of the equatorial anomaly region). These results indicate that the proposed model is useful for forecasting of GPS signal delay both for civil aviation and strategic applications.
Achanta Dattatreya Sarma,
"A New Technique Based on Grey Model for Forecasting of Ionospheric GPS Signal Delay Using GAGAN Data," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M,
Vol. 59, 33-43, 2017. doi:10.2528/PIERM17041403
1. Kumar, A., A. D. Sarma, A. K. Mondal, and K. Yedukondalu, "A wide band antenna for multi-constellation GNSS and augmentation systems," Progress In Electromagnetic Research M, Vol. 11, 65-77, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIERM09100304
2. Yedukondalu, K., A. D. Sarma, and V. Satya Srinivas, "Estimation and mitigation of GPS multipath interference using adaptive filtering," Progress In Electromagnetic Research M, Vol. 21, 133-148, 2011. doi:10.2528/PIERM11080811
3. Sarma, A. D., D. Venkata Ratnam, and D. Krishna Reddy, "Modelling of low-latitude ionosphere using modified planar fit method for GAGAN," IET Radar Sonar Navig., Vol. 3, No. 6, 609-619, 2009, doi: 10.1049/iet-rsn.2009.0022. doi:10.1049/iet-rsn.2009.0022
4. Venkata Ratnam, D. and A. D. Sarma, "Modeling of low-latitude ionosphere using GPS data with SHF model," IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 50, No. 3, March 2012. doi:10.1109/TGRS.2011.2163639
5. Satya Srinivas, V., A. D. Sarma, and H. K. Achanta, "Modeling of ionospheric time delay using anisotropic IDWwith Jackknife technique," IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 54, No. 1, January 2016, doi:10.1109/TGRS.2015.2461017. doi:10.1109/TGRS.2015.2463075
6. Sarma, A. D., N. Prasad, and T. Madhu, "Investigation of suitability of grid-based ionospheric models for GAGAN," Electron. Lett., Vol. 42, No. 8, 478-479, April 2006. doi:10.1049/el:20063036
7. Satya Srinivas, V., A. D. Sarma, A. Supraja Reddy, and D. Krishna Reddy, "Investigation of the effect of ionospheric gradients on GPS signals in the context of LAAS," Progress In Electromagnetic Research B, Vol. 57, 191-205, 2014. doi:10.2528/PIERB13101305
8. Krankowiski, A., W. Kosek, L. W. Baran, and W. Popinski, "Wavelet analysis and forecasting of VTEC obtained with GPS observations over European latitudes," Journal of Atmospheric and Solar-Terrestrial Physics, Vol. 67, 1147-1156, 2006.
9. Tulunay, E., E. Senalp, S. Radicella, and Y. Tu Lunay, "Forecasting total electron content maps by neural network technique," Radio Sci., 41, 2006, doi:10.1029/2005RS003285.
10. Jo, T. C., "The effect of virtual term generation on the neural based approaches to time series prediction," Proceedings of the IEEE Fourth Conference on Control and Automation, Vol. 3, 516-520, Montreal, Canada, 2003.
11. Prokhorenkov, A. S. and V. Ya. Choliy, "Parametric modeling of global TEC fields," Advances in Astronomy and Space Physics, Vol. 2, 85-87, 2012.
12. Elmunim, N. A., A. M. Hashi, and S. A. Bahari, "Comparison of statistical Holt-Winter models for forecasting the ionospheric delay using GPS observations," Indian Journal of Radio & Space Physics, Vol. 44, 28-34, March 2015.
13. Venkateswarlu, G. and A. D. Sarma, "Performance of Holt-Winter and exponential smoothing methods for forecasting ionospheric TEC using IRNSS data," 2017 Second IEEE International Conference on Electrical, Computer and Communication Technologies, (IEEE ICECCT 2017) Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu, India, February 22-24, 2017.
14. Deng, J., "Control problems of grey system," Systems and Control Letters, Vol. 1, 288-294, 1982.
15. Deng, J. L., "Introduction to grey system theory," The Journal of Grey System, Vol. 1, 1-24, 1989.
16. Kayacan, E., B. Ulutas, and O. Kaynak, "Grey system theory-based models in time series prediction," Expert Systems with Applications, Vol. 37, No. 2, 1784-1789, March 2010. doi:10.1016/j.eswa.2009.07.064
17. Lin, Y. and S. Liu, "A historical introduction to grey systems theory," Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Systems, Man and Cybernetics The Netherlands, Vol. 1, 2403-2408, 2004.
18. Hua, Q. and X. Yang, "Base a EMD-grey model for textile export time series prediction," International Journal of Database Theory and Applications, Vol. 6, No. 6, 29-38, 2013. doi:10.14257/ijdta.2013.6.6.03
19. Ramalingam, K., "GAGAN status," International Civil Aviation Organization, GNSS PANEL, Working Group A and B Meeting, San Antonio, Texas, USA, October 16-25, 2002.
21. Oliveira, A. B. V., T. N. de Morais, and F. Walter, "Effects of equatorial anomaly in the GPS signals," ION-GNSS-2003, Portland, OR, September 9-11, 2003.
22. De Morais, T. N., A. B. V. Oliveira, and F. Walter, "Global behavior of equatorial anomaly since 1999 and effects on GPS signals," IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, March 2005.
23. Chakraborty, S. K., A. Dasgupta, S. Ray, and S. Banerjee, "Long term observations of VHF scintillations and total electron content near the crest of the equatorial anomaly in the Indian longitude zone," Radio Sci., Vol. 34, 241-255, 1999. doi:10.1029/98RS02576
24. Reddy Ammana, S. and S. Dattatreya Achanta, "Estimation of overbound on ionospheric spatial decorrelation over low-latitude region for ground-based augmentation systems," IET Radar, Sonar & Navigation, 2016, doi: 10.1049/iet-rsn.2015.0469.
25. Perrone, L. and G. D. Franceschi, "Solar, ionospheric and geomagnetic indices," Ann. Geofis., Vol. 41, 5-6, 1998.