In this paper we focus on multi-objective optimization in electromagnetic problems with given priorities among the targets. The approach proposed in this paper is able to build a proper cost function capable to correctly implementing the design criteria and their priorities avoiding the evaluation of the Pareto front of the solutions, which is a very time consuming task required in the classic a-posteriori methods. The resulting function, named Quantized Lexicographic Weighted Sum (QLWS), can be used as cost function in a very large class of electromagnetic problems. In this paper we demonstrate its usefulness in two common situations in antenna array design: the synthesis of a sparse linear array and a sparse isophoric ring array.
Marco Donald Migliore,
"A Lexicographic Approach for Multi-Objective Optimization in Antenna Array Design," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M,
Vol. 59, 85-102, 2017. doi:10.2528/PIERM17042106
1. Ehrgott, M., Multicriteria Optimization, Springer Science & Business Media, 2006.
2. Marler, R. T. and J. S. Arora, "Survey of multi-objective optimization methods for engineering," Structural and Multidisciplinary Optimization, Vol. 26, No. 6, 369-395, 2004. doi:10.1007/s00158-003-0368-6
3. Yuan, X., Z. Li, D. Rodrigo, H. S. Mopidevi, O. Kaynar, L. Jofre, and B. A. Cetiner, "A parasitic layer-based reconfigurable antenna design by multi-objective optimization," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 60, No. 6, 2690-2701, Jun. 2012. doi:10.1109/TAP.2012.2194663
4. Koziel, S. and S. Ogurtsov, "Multi-objective design of antennas using variable-fidelity simulations and surrogate models," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 61, No. 12, 5931-5939, Dec. 2013. doi:10.1109/TAP.2013.2283599
5. Goudos, S. K., K. A. Gotsis, K. Siakavara, E. E. Vafiadis, and J. N. Sahalos, "A multi-objective approach to subarrayed linear antenna arrays design based on memetic differential evolution," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 61, No. 6, 3042-3052, Jun. 2013. doi:10.1109/TAP.2013.2254437
6. Bucci, O. M., T. Isernia, S. Perna, and D. Pinchera, "Isophoric sparse arrays ensuring global coverage in satellite communications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 62, No. 4, 1607-1618, Apr. 2014. doi:10.1109/TAP.2013.2287901
7. Jayasinghe, J. W., J. Anguera, D. N. Uduwawala, and A. Andújar, "A multipurpose genetically engineered microstrip patch antennas: Bandwidth, gain, and polarization," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 59, No. 4, 941-949, 2017. doi:10.1002/mop.30439
8. Migliore, M. D., D. Pinchera, and F. Schettino, "A simple and robust adaptive parasitic antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 53, No. 10, 3262-3272, Oct. 2005. doi:10.1109/TAP.2005.856361
9. Bucci, O. M. and D. Pinchera, "A generalized hybrid approach for the synthesis of uniform amplitude pencil beam ring-arrays," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 60, No. 1, 174-183, 2012. doi:10.1109/TAP.2011.2167931
10. Wolpert, D. H. and W. G. Macready, "No free lunch theorems for optimization," IEEE Transactions on Evolutionary Computation, Vol. 1, No. 1, 67-82, 1997. doi:10.1109/4235.585893
11. Nelder, J. A. and R. Mead, "A simplex method for function minimization," The Computer Journal, Vol. 7, No. 4, 308-313, 1965. doi:10.1093/comjnl/7.4.308
12. Bucci, O. M., M. D’Urso, and T. Isernia, "Some facts and challenges in array antenna synthesis," 19th International Conference on Applied Electromagnetics and Communications, 2007, ICECom 2007, 1-4, Sept. 2007.
13. Toso, G., C. Mangenot, and A. Roederer, "Sparse and thinned arrays for multiple beam satellite applications," The Second European Conference on Antennas and Propagation, 2007, EuCAP 2007, 1-4, IET, 2007.
14. Anselmi, N., P. Rocca, M. Salucci, and A. Massa, "Optimisation of excitation tolerances for robust beamforming in linear arrays," IET Microwaves, Antennas Propagation, Vol. 10, No. 2, 208-214, 2016. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2015.0508
15. Balanis, C. A., Antenna Theory: Analysis and Design, John Wiley & Sons, 2016.
16. Isernia, T., F. Ares, O. M. Bucci, M. D’Urso, J. F. Gomez, and J. Rodriguez, "A hybrid approach for the optimal synthesis of pencil beams through array antennas," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, 2004, Vol. 3, 2301-2304, IEEE, 2004. doi:10.1109/APS.2004.1331831
17. Weile, D. S. and E. Michielssen, "Genetic algorithm optimization applied to electromagnetics: A review," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 45, No. 3, 343-353, 1997. doi:10.1109/8.558650
18. Bucci, O. M. and S. Perna, "A deterministic two dimensional density taper approach for fast design of uniform amplitude pencil beams arrays," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 59, No. 8, 2852-2861, 2011. doi:10.1109/TAP.2011.2158783
19. Bucci, O. M., S. Perna, and D. Pinchera, "Simultaneous radiation of narrow and wide beams exploiting two concentric isophoric sparse arrays," 2015 9th European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EuCAP), 1-4, IEEE, 2015.
20. Hamid, M., "Mutual coupling between sectoral horns side by side," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 15, No. 3, 475-477, 1967. doi:10.1109/TAP.1967.1138931
21. Clarricoats, P., S. Tun, and C. Parini, "Effects of mutual coupling in conical horn arrays," IEE Proceedings H, Microwaves, Optics and Antennas, Vol. 131, No. 3, 165-171, 1984. doi:10.1049/ip-h-1.1984.0035
22. Bencivenni, C., M. Ivashina, R. Maaskant, and J. Wettergren, "Synthesis of maximally sparse arrays using compressive sensing and full-wave analysis for global earth coverage applications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 64, No. 11, 4873, 2016. doi:10.1109/TAP.2016.2594840
23. Pozar, D. M., "The active element pattern," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 42, No. 8, 1176-1178, 1994. doi:10.1109/8.310010
24. Angeletti, P., G. Toso, and G. Ruggerini, "Array antennas with jointly optimized elements positions and dimensions Part II: Planar circular arrays," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 62, No. 4, 1627-1639, 2014. doi:10.1109/TAP.2013.2281519
25. Carlin, M., G. Oliveri, and A. Massa, "Hybrid BCS-deterministic approach for sparse concentric ring isophoric arrays," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 63, No. 1, 378-383, 2015. doi:10.1109/TAP.2014.2364306