A dual-port reader antenna based on magnetic coupling in near-field (NF) and linear polarization in far-field (FF) is proposed for UHF RFID multiservice applications. The prototype consists of four straight dipoles fed by double-side parallel stripline structure with two feed ports. The proposed antenna can operate at different modes by feeding each corresponding port. In NF mode, a strong and uniform magnetic field can be generated over the interrogation zone. In FF mode, a linearly polarized performance can be obtained. The antenna prototype is printed onto a piece of FR4 substrate with an overall size of 180 × 180 × 1.6 mm3. The measured tests on reading range are carried out, and the results exhibit 100% reading rate for near-field tags within 100 mm and reading distance of far-field tags is 120 cm. Both simulated and measured results show good capability for near- and far-field applications.
"Analysis of Dual-Port Reader Antenna for UHF RFID Near-Field Applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M,
Vol. 72, 31-40, 2018. doi:10.2528/PIERM18052001
2. Caso, R., A. Michel, A. Buffi, P. Nepa, and G. Isola, "A modular antenna for UHF RFID near-field desktop reader," Proc. RFID Technol. Appl. Conf., 204-207, 2014.
3. Nikitin, P. V., K. V. S. Rao, and S. Lazar, "An overview of near field UHF RFID," Proc. IEEE Int. Conf., RFID, 167-174, Mar. 2007.
4. Daiki, M. and E. Perret, "Near-field modular antenna concept with configurable reading area for RFID applications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 65, No. 3, 1015-1025, Mar. 2017. doi:10.1109/TAP.2016.2645787
5. Shi, J., X. Qing, and Z. N. Chen, "Electrically large zero-phase-shift line grid-array UHF near-field RFID reader antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 62, No. 4, 2201-2208, 2014. doi:10.1109/TAP.2014.2299824
6. Pakkathillam, J. K. and M. Kanagasabai, "A novel UHF near-field RFID reader antenna deploying CSRR elements," IEEE Transactions on Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 65, No. 4, 2047-2050, 2017. doi:10.1109/TAP.2017.2669722
7. Zheng, J., C. Zhou, Y. Yang, X. He, and C.-Y. Mao, "QDSPSL-fed straight dipoles antenna array for UHF RFID near-field applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 72, 107-112, 2018. doi:10.2528/PIERL17102902
8., "Market of RFID systems,", Impinj, Inc., Seattle, WA, WSA2015, [Online], Available: http://www.impinj.com/markets/.
9. Oliver, R. A., "Broken-loop RFID reader antenna for near field and far field UHF RFID tags,", U.S. Design Patent D570, 337 S, 2008.
10. Qing, X. and Z. N. Chen, "Antenna for near field and far field radio frequency identification,", U.S. Patent Appl. Pub. US 20100026439 A1, 2010.
11. Pakkathillam, J., M. Kanagasabai, and M. Alsath, "A compact multiservice UHF RFID reader antenna for near field and far field operations," IEEE Antennas & Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 16, No. 99, 149-152, 2017. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2016.2561960
12. Forouzannezhad, P., A. Jafargholi, and A. Jahanbakhshi, "Multiband compact antenna for nearfield and far-field RFID and wireless portable applications," IET Microwave Antennas Propagation, Vol. 11, No. 4, 535-541, 2017. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2016.0378
13. Zheng, J., Y. Yang, X. He, and C. Y. Mao, "A CP antenna of wide half-power beamwidth for UHF RFID near- and far-field applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 72, 61-67, 2018. doi:10.2528/PIERL17102903
14. Bitnun, A. and E. Al, "A reconfigurable passive UHF reader loop antenna for near-field and farfield RFID applications," IEEE Antennas & Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 11, No. 4, 580-583, 2012.
15. Michel, A., M. R. Pino, and P. Nepa, "Reconfigurable modular antenna for NF UHF RFID smart point readers," IEEE Transactions on Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 65, No. 2, 498-506, 2017. doi:10.1109/TAP.2016.2640140