This paper proposes a composite right/left-handed cylindrical waveguide. Negative permeability is realized by the cutoff TM01-mode in a hollow waveguide, and negative permittivity is realized by the cutoff dominant TE-mode in a sector waveguide with a ridge. Usefulness of the proposed cylindrical waveguide is verified from the numerical computations of both the dispersion diagrams and the transmission characteristics of the structure with finite-number unit cells. Finally, measurement of the fabricated waveguides is performed for the experimental verification.
"Transmission Characteristics on Composite Right/Left-Handed Cylindrical Waveguides Constructed by the Cutoff TE and TM Modes," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M,
Vol. 72, 89-96, 2018. doi:10.2528/PIERM18053002
1. Veselago, V., "The electrodynamics of substrates with simultaneously negative values of ε and μ," Soviet Physics Uspekhil, Vol. 10, No. 4, 509-514, 1968. doi:10.1070/PU1968v010n04ABEH003699
2. Smith, D. R., W. J. Padilla, D. C. Vier, S. C. Nemat-Nasser, and S. Schultz, "Composite medium with simultaneously negative permeability and permittivity," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 84, 4184-4187, May 2000. doi:10.1103/PhysRevLett.84.4184
3. Alzan, V., et al. "Tailoring the physical properties of nanocomposite films by the insertion of graphene and other nanoparticles," Compos. Part B: Eng., Vol. 60, 29-35, Apr. 2014.
4. Gugliuzza, A., A. Politano, and E. Drioli, "The advent of graphene and other two-dimensional materials in membrane science and technology," Curr. Opin. Chem. Eng., Vol. 16, 78-85, May 2017. doi:10.1016/j.coche.2017.03.003
5. Caloz, C. and T. Itoh, "Transmission line approach of left-handed (LH) materials and microstrip implementation of an artificial LH transmission line," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 52, No. 5, 1159-1166, May 2004. doi:10.1109/TAP.2004.827249
6. Ikeda, T., K. Sakakibara, T. Matsui, N. Kikuma, and H. Hirayama, "Beam-scanning performance of leaky-wave slot-array antenna on variable stub-loaded left-handed waveguide," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 56, No. 12, 3611-3618, Dec. 2008. doi:10.1109/TAP.2008.2007278
7. Kim, D. J. and J. H. Lee, "Beam scanning leaky-wave slot Antenna using balanced CRLH waveguide operating above the cutoff frequency," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 61, No. 5, 2432-2440, May 2013. doi:10.1109/TAP.2013.2237740
8. Eshrah, I. A., A. A. Kishk, A. B. Yakovlev, and A. W. Glisson, "Rectangular waveguide with dielectric-filled corrugations supporting backward waves," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 53, No. 11, 3298-3304, Nov. 2005. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2005.855748
9. Iwasaki, T., H. Kamoda, T. Derham, and T. Kuki, "A composite right/left-handed rectangular waveguide with tilted corrugations for millimeter-wave frequency scanning antenna," 2008 European Microwave Conf., 563-566, Amsterdam, Oct. 2008.
10. Kord, A. M. and I. A. Eshrah, "Generalised asymptotic boundary conditions and their application to composite right/left-handed rectangular waveguide with double-ridge corrugations," IET Microwaves, Antennas Propagat., Vol. 8, No. 13, 1014-1020, Oct. 2014. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2013.0326
11. Semouchkina, E., S. Muduruni, G. Semouchkin, and R. Mittra, "Band-pass filtering by below-cutoff waveguides loaded with split-ring resonators: Relevance to lefthandedness," 2007 IEEE MTT-S Intern’l Symp., 1839-1842, Honolulu, HI, Jun. 2007.
12. Eldeen, A. M. N. and I. A. Eshrah, "CRLH waveguide with air-filled double-ridge corrugations," 2011 IEEE AP-S Intern’l Symp., 2965-2968, Spokane, WA, Jul. 2011.
13. Mizutani, Y., M. Kishihara, I. Ohta, K. Okubo, and H. Takimoto, "Constitution of left-handed waveguide using cutoff TM mode," 2014 APMC, 208-210, Sendai, Japan, Nov. 2014.
14. Oshima, I., T. Seki, N. Michishita, and K. Cho, "Omnidirectional composite right/left-handed leaky-wave antenna with downtilted beam," 2015 IEEE AP-S Intern’l Symp., 2439-2440, Vancouver, BC, Jul. 2015.
15. Sakamoto, A., K. Cho, N. Michishita, T. Seki, and I. Oshima, "Transmission characteristic comparison between right and left handed leaky wave antennas composed of CRLH coplanar strip line," 2016 ISAP, 828-829, Okinawa, Oct. 2016.
16. Mohan, M. P. and A. Alphones, "Double periodic CRLH transmission line for wideband performance," 2016 APMC, 1-4, New Delhi, Dec. 2016.
17. Yang, Q., X. Zhao, and Y. Zhang, "Leaky-wave radiation analysis for CRLH waveguide with long slot on its broadwall," EuCAP 2016, 1-5, Davos, Apr. 2016.
18. Siaka, F., J. J. Laurin, and R. Deban, "New broad angle frequency scanning antenna with narrow bandwidth based on a CRLH structure," IET Microwaves, Antennas Propaga., Vol. 11, No. 11, 1644-1650, Sep. 2017. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2016.0732
19. Siddiqui, Z., A. Radwan, M. Sonkki, M. Tuhkala, and S. Myllymaki, "Leaky coaxial cable antenna based on sinusoidally-modulated reactance surface," 2017 Progress In Electromagnetics Research Symposium — Spring (PIERS), 3887-3890, St Petersburg, Russia, May 22–25, 2017.
20. Yuki, M., M. Kishihara, and I. Ohta, "Constitution of left-handed waveguide based on cutoff TEand TM-mode," IEICE Transactions on Electronics (Japanese Edition), C-2-67, May 2014.
21. Nishimura, S., H. Deguchi, and M. Tsuji, "Radiation characteristics in new CRLH cylindrical waveguides," 2015 APCAP, 350-352, Bali Island, Indonesia, Jul. 2015.
22. Nishimura, S., H. Deguchi, and M. Tsuji, "Transmission characteristic on a partially ridge-loaded composite right/left-handed cylindrical waveguide," 2015 ICEAA Intern’l Conf., 844-846, Torino, Italy, Sep. 2016.
23. Nishimura, S., H. Deguchi, and M. Tsuji, "Radiation characteristics of leaky-wave antenna using ridge-loaded composite right/left-handed cylindrical waveguides," 2016 IEEE AP-S Intern’l Symp., 85-86, Fajardo, Oct. 2016.
24. Uyama, K., S. Nishimura, H. Deguchi, and M. Tsuji, "Transmission characteristics of CRLH rectangular waveguides constructed by the cutoff modes of TM and TE waves," 2016 ICEAA Intern’l Conf., 728-731, Cairns, Australia, Sep. 2016.
25. Mukainoge, Y., H. Deguchi, and M. Tsuji, "An optimized design method of composite right/left handed transmission lines considering higher-order mode interaction by genetic algorithm," 2014 IEEE Intern. Workshop on Electromagnetics, 78-79, Aug. 2014.