Hybrid analog/digital precoding is a promising technology that reduces the hardware complexity and power consumption of large-scale millimeter wave (mmWave) multiple-input multipleoutput (MIMO) communication systems. Most prior work has focused on hybrid precoding for narrowband mmWave systems. MmWave systems, however, will likely act on wideband channels with frequency selectivity. Therefore, this paper presents an effective OFDM-based hybrid precoding algorithm (named as W-LS-IR algorithm) for wideband mmWave systems. Firstly, the initial phases of the analog precoding matrix are randomly generated, and the digital precoding matrix is initialized via the least squares (LS) method. Then, the column of the analog precoding matrix is derived from the dominant left singular vector of a residual matrix, and the corresponding row of the digital precoding matrix is updated using the LS method. Through the iterations of the aforementioned stage, the hybrid precoding matrix will approach a stable solution finally. Compared with related works, the proposed algorithm can improve the spectral efficiency of wideband mmWave MIMO communication systems. Simulation results are presented to confirm the efficiency of the proposed algorithm.
1. Alkhateeb, A. and R. W. Heath, "Frequency selective hybrid precoding for limited feedback millimeter wave systems," IEEE Transactions on Communications, Vol. 64, No. 5, 1801-1818, 2015. doi:10.1109/TCOMM.2016.2549517
2. Ayach, O. E., S. Rajagopal, S. Abu-Surra, Z. Pi, R. W. Heath, and Jr., "Spatially sparse precoding in millimeter wave MIMO systems," IEEE Transactions Wireless Communications, Vol. 13, No. 3, 1499-1513, 2014. doi:10.1109/TWC.2014.011714.130846
3. Yu, X., J. C. Shen, J. Zhang, and K. B. Letaief, "Alternating minimization algorithms for hybrid precoding in millimeter wave MIMO systems," IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Signal Processing, Vol. 10, No. 3, 485-500, 2016. doi:10.1109/JSTSP.2016.2523903
4. Zhang, A., F. Molisch, and S. Y. Kung, "Variable-phase-shift-based RF-baseband codesign for MIMO antenna selection,", Vol. 53, No. 11, 4091-4103, 2005. doi:10.1109/TSP.2005.857024
5. Rusu, C., R. Mendez-Rial, N. Gonzalez-Prelcic, and R. W. Heath, "Low complexity hybrid precoding strategies for millimeter wave communication systems," IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications, Vol. 15, No. 12, 8380-8393, 2016. doi:10.1109/TWC.2016.2614495
6. Ni, W., X. Dong, and W. S. Lu, "Near-optimal hybrid processing for massive mimo systems via matrix decomposition," IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, Vol. 65, No. 15, 3922-3933, 2017. doi:10.1109/TSP.2017.2699643
7. Dai, L., X. Gao, J. Quan, S. Han, and C. L. I., "Near-optimal hybrid analog and digital precoding for downlink mmWave massive MIMO systems," IEEE International Conference on Communications, 1334-1339, 2015.
8. Pi, Z. and F. Khan, "An introduction to millimeter-wave mobile broadband systems," IEEE Communications Magazine, Vol. 49, No. 6, 101-107, 2011. doi:10.1109/MCOM.2011.5783993
9. Alkhateeb, A. and R. W. Heath, "Gram schmidt based greedy hybrid precoding for frequency selective millimeter wave MIMO systems," IEEE International Conference on Acoustics, Speech and Signal Processing, 3396-3400, 2016.
10. Wang, G., J. Sun, and G. Ascheid, "Hybrid beamforming with time delay compensation for millimeter wave mimo frequency selective channels," IEEE Vehicular Technology Conference, 1-6, 2016.
11. Ghauch, H., M. Bengtsson, T. Kim, and M. Skoglund, "Subspace estimation and decomposition for hybrid analog-digital millimetre-wave MIMO systems," IEEE Vehicular Technology Conference, 395-399, 2015.
12. Ghauch, H., T. Kim, M. Bengtsson, and M. Skoglind, "Subspace estimation and decomposition for large millimeter-wave MIMO systems," IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Signal Processing, Vol. 10, No. 3, 528-542, 2015. doi:10.1109/JSTSP.2016.2538178
13. Foad, S. and Y. Wei, "Hybrid digital and analog beamforming design for large-scale antenna arrays," IEEE Journal on Selected Topics in Signal Processing, Vol. 10, No. 3, 501-513, 2016. doi:10.1109/JSTSP.2016.2520912
14. Foad, S. and Y. Wei, "Hybrid digital and analog beamforming design for large-scale MIMO systems," IEEE International Conference on Acoustics, Speech and Signal Processing, 2929-2933, 2015.
15. Kim, C., T. Kim, and J. Y. Seol, "Multi-beam transmission diversity with hybrid beamforming for MIMO-OFDM systems," IEEE Globecom Workshops, 61-65, 2013.
16. Iwanow, M., N. Vuci, M. H. Castaneda, J. Luo, W. Xu, and W. Utschick, "Some aspects on hybrid wideband transceiver design for mmWave communication systems," ITG-Fachbericht-WSA, 1-8, 2016.
17. Sohrabi, F. and W. Yu, "Hybrid analog and digital beamforming for OFDM-based largescale MIMO systems," IEEE International Workshop on Signal Processing Advances in Wireless Communications, 1-6, 2016.
18. Balanis, C., Antenna Theory, Wiley, 1997.
19. Zhang, J., A. Wiesel, and M. Haardt, "Low rank approximation based hybrid precoding schemes for multi-carrier single-user massive MIMO systems," IEEE International Conference on Acoustics, Speech and Signal Processing, 3281-3285, 2016.
20. Musheng, W., "Perturbation theory for the eckart-young-mirsky theorem and the constrained total least squares problem," Linear Algebra and Its Applications, Vol. 280, No. 2, 267-287, 1998.