In this paper, complementary split ring resonator (CSRR) based single feed rectangular microstrip antennas are designed for circular polarization. In the first antenna design, two CSRRs are loaded on ground, and for the second design, two CSRRs are loaded on patch with identical orientation of meta-resonators in both cases. CSRRs are used to diminish the resonance frequency of the antenna, and thus the antenna size miniaturization can be achieved. Overall dimensions of the two antennas are (50×50×1.6) mm3, and the impedance bandwidth for S11 < -10 dB exhibits between 2.3 and 2.4 GHz which is useful for wireless communication service. The characteristics of the proposed antennas, i.e., reflection coefficient, axial ratio, gain, and radiation patterns, are observed and compared for the two cases. The proposed two antennas have been designed and simulated using CST Microwave studio 14. Measured reflection coefficient, gain, and radiation pattern are in good agreement with the simulated result.
Partha Pratim Sarkar,
"Single Feed Circularly Polarized Antenna Loaded with Complementary Split Ring Resonator (CSRR)," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M,
Vol. 78, 175-184, 2019. doi:10.2528/PIERM18090503
1. Balanis, C. A., "Antenna theory: A review," Proceedings of the IEEE, Vol. 80, No. 1, 7-23, 1992. doi:10.1109/5.119564
2. Kumar, G. and K. P. Ray, Broadband Microstrip Antennas, Artech House, 2003.
3. Sharma, P. C. and K. C. Gupta, "Analysis and optimized design of single feed circularly polarized microstrip antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 31, No. 6, 949-955, 1983. doi:10.1109/TAP.1983.1143162
4. Malviya, L., R. K. Panigrahi, and M. V. Kartikeyan, "Circularly polarized 2 × 2 MIMO antenna for WLAN applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 66, 97-107, 2016. doi:10.2528/PIERC16051905
5. Sharma, W. C., H. Kumar, and G. Kumar, "Single feed dual band circularly polarized stub loaded tunable microstrip patch antenna," 2016 IEEE Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference (APMC), 1-4, 2016.
6. Qing, X. and Z. N. Chen, "Compact asymmetric-slit microstrip antennas for circular polarization," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 59, No. 1, 285-288, 2011. doi:10.1109/TAP.2010.2090468
7. Ouedraogo, R. O., E. J. Rothwell, A. R. Diaz, K. Fuchi, and A. Temme, "Miniaturization of patch antennas using a metamaterial-inspired technique," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 60, No. 5, 2175-2182, 2012. doi:10.1109/TAP.2012.2189699
8. Alizadeh, F., C. Ghobadi, J. Nourinia, and R. Zayer, "Bandwidth enhancement of patch antennas loaded with complementary split-ring resonators," 2014 IEEE 7th International Symposium on Telecommunications (IST), 224-229, 2014. doi:10.1109/ISTEL.2014.7000702
9. Ramachandran, A., S. V. Pushpakaran, M. Pezholil, and V. Kesavath, "A four port MIMO antenna using concentric square ring patches loaded with CSRR for high isolation," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 15, 1196-1199, 2016. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2015.2499322
10. Rajeshkumar, V. and S. Raghavan, "A compact CSRR loaded dual band microstrip patch antenna for wireless applications," 2013 IEEE International Conference on Computational Intelligence and Computing Research (ICCIC), 1-4, 2013.
11. Jha, N., R. Pandeeswari, and S. Raghavan, "A performance improved compact size microstrip antenna loaded with CSRR for GSM, WLAN/WiMAX and WAVE applications," IEEE International Conference on Emerging Trends in Engineering, Technology and Science (ICETETS), 1-6, 2016.
12. Jie, C., L. Z. Gang, F. Lu, and Z. Shou-Zheng, "A multi-system and dual-band miniaturization microstrip antenna loaded with CSRR for CNSS applications," 2014 IEEE 3rd Asia-Pacific Conference on Antennas and Propagation (APCAP), 450-453, 2014. doi:10.1109/APCAP.2014.6992523
13. Dong, Y., H. Toyao, and T. Itoh, "Design and characterization of miniaturized patch antennas loaded with complementary split-ring resonators," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 60, No. 2, 772-778, 2012. doi:10.1109/TAP.2011.2173120
14. Liu, X. Y., Z. T. Wu, Y. Fan, and E. M. Tentzeris, "A miniaturized CSRR loaded wide-beamwidth circularly polarized implantable antenna for subcutaneous real-time glucose monitoring," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 16, 577-580, 2017. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2016.2590477
15. Simruni, M. and S. Jam, "A circularly-polarized compact wideband patch antenna loaded by metamaterial structures," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 78, 93-104, 2017. doi:10.2528/PIERC17070702
17. Caloz, C. and T. Itoh, Electromagnetic Metamaterials: Transmission Line Theory and Microwave Applications, Wiley-Interscince, 2006.
18. Pendry, J. B., A. J. Holden, D. J. Robbins, and W. J. Stewart, "Magnetism from conductors and enhanced nonlinear phenomena," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 47, No. 11, 2075-2084, November 1999. doi:10.1109/22.798002
19. Smith, D. R., Willie J. Padilla, D. C. Vier, S. C. Nemat-Nasser, and S. Schultz, "Composite medium with simultaneously negative permeability and permittivity," Physical Review Letters, Vol. 84, No. 18, 4184-4187, May 2000. doi:10.1103/PhysRevLett.84.4184
20. Baena, J. D., J. Bonache, F. Martin, R. M. Sillero, F. Falcone, T. Lopetegi, M. A. Laso, J. Garcia-Garcia, I. Gil, M. F. Portillo, and M. Sorolla, "Equivalent-circuit models for split-ring resonators and complementary split-ring resonators coupled to planar transmission lines," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 53, No. 4, 1451-1461, 2005. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2005.845211
21. Ortiz, N., F. Falcone, and M. Sorolla, "Enhanced gain dual band patch antenna based on complementary rectangular split-ring resonators," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 53, No. 3, 590-594, 2011. doi:10.1002/mop.25797
22. Limaye, A. U. and J. Venkataraman, "Size reduction in microstrip antennas using left-handed materials realized by complementary split-ring resonators in ground plane," 2007 IEEE International Symposium in Antennas and Propagation Society, 1869-1872, 2007. doi:10.1109/APS.2007.4395883
23. Ma, J. J., X. Y. Cao, and T. Liu, "Design the size reduction patch antenna based on complementary split ring resonators," 2010 International Conference in Microwave and Millimeter Wave Technology (ICMMT), 401-402, 2010. doi:10.1109/ICMMT.2010.5524983
24. Pandeeswari, R. and S. Raghavan, "Microstrip antenna with complementary split ring resonator loaded ground plane for gain enhancement," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 57, No. 2, 292-296, 2015. doi:10.1002/mop.28835
25. Xie, Y. H., C. Zhu, L. Li, and C. H. Liang, "A novel dual-band metamaterial antenna based on complementary split ring resonators," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 54, No. 4, 1007-1009, 2012. doi:10.1002/mop.26715
26. Lee, Y. and Y. Hao, "Characterization of microstrip patch antennas on metamaterial substrates loaded with complementary split-ring resonators," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 50, No. 8, 2131-2135, 2008. doi:10.1002/mop.23596
27. Rajkumar, R. and U. K. Kommuri, "A triangular complementary split ring resonator based compact metamaterial antenna for multiband operation," Wireless Personal Communications, Vol. 101, No. 2, 1075-1089, 2018. doi:10.1007/s11277-018-5749-7
28. Daniel, R. S., R. Pandeeswari, and S. Raghavan, "A miniaturized printed monopole antenna loaded with hexagonal complementary split ring resonators for multiband operations," International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer-Aided Engineering, Vol. 28, No. 7, e21401, 2018. doi:10.1002/mmce.21401
29. Boopathi, R. R. and S. K. Pandey, "A CPW-fed circular patch antenna inspired by reduced ground plane and CSRR slot for UWB applications with notch band," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 59, No. 4, 745-749, 2017. doi:10.1002/mop.30386
30. Xiao, B., X. Wang, and J. Zhao, "A dual band notched ultra-wideband antenna using complementary split ring resonators," 2010 IEEE International Conference in Wireless Communications, Networking and Information Security (WCNIS), 107-109, 2010.