A novel compact ultra-wideband (UWB) multiple input multiple output (MIMO) slot antenna with band notch characteristics is presented for portable wireless UWB applications. The antenna comprises co-planar waveguide feed (CPW) and two radiating monopoles oriented in orthogonal orientation for providing orthogonal radiation patterns. A Minkowski fractal parasitic stub along with a Minkowski fractal grounded stub has been placed at 45° between the monopoles to reduce the coupling between them which in turn establish high isolation between the radiators. An excellent band notch characteristic is obtained at 5.5 GHz by etching a modified E-shaped compact slot on the radiators. At the centre of notched band, the efficiency and gain of the antenna drop significantly which indicates a good interference suppression. Results show that the designed antenna meets -10 dB impedance bandwidth and -17 dB isolation throughout the entire operating band (3.1-12 GHz). Novelty of this design lies in improving isolation using compact fractal structures which occupy less space than conventional isolation mechanisms in MIMO structures. The simulated and measured results show that the proposed antenna is convenient for MIMO diversity systems.
"UWB MIMO Slot Antenna with Minkowski Fractal Shaped Isolators for Isolation Enhancement," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M,
Vol. 75, 69-78, 2018. doi:10.2528/PIERM18090506
1. Federal Communications Commission, Washington, DC, USA, "Federal communications commission revision of Part 15 of the Commission’s rules regarding ultra-wideband transmission system from 3.1 to 10.6GHz,", 98-153, ET-Docket, 2002. doi:10.1109/TAP.2004.835272
2. Jensen, M. A. and J. W. Wallace, "A review of antennas and propagation for MIMO wireless communication," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 52, No. 11, 2810-24, 2004. doi:10.1109/JPROC.2008.2008784
3. Kaiser, T., F. Zheng, and E. Dimitrov, "An overview of ultra-wide-band systems with MIMO," Proc. IEEE, Vol. 97, No. 2, 285-312, 2009. doi:10.1109/TAP.2012.2207049
4. Zhang, S., B. K. Lau, A. Sunesson, and S. He, "Closely-packed UWB MIMO/diversity antenna with different patterns and polarizations for USB dongle applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 60, No. 9, 4372-4380, 2012. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2009.2037027
5. Zhang, S., Z. Ying, J. Xiong, and S. He, "Ultrawideband MIMO/diversity antennas with a tree-like structure to enhance wideband isolation," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 8, 1279-1282, 2009. doi:10.1109/ACCESS.2017.2785232
6. Iqbal, A., O. A. Saraereh, A.W. Ahmad, and S. Bashir, "Mutual coupling reduction using F-shaped stubs in UWB-MIMO antenna," IEEE Access., Vol. 6, 2755-2759, 2018. doi:10.2528/PIERL16012202
7. Ghosh, J., S. Ghosal, D. Mitra, and S. R. BBhadra Chaudhuri, "Mutual coupling reduction between closely placed microstrip patch antenna using meander line resonator," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 59, 115-122, 2016. doi:10.1109/TAP.2011.2180314
8. Gallo, M., et al. "A broadband pattern diversity annular slot antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 60, No. 3, 1596-1600, 2012. doi:10.1109/TAP.2014.2387871
9. Li, Q., A. P. Feresidis, M. Mavridou, and P. S. Hall, "Miniaturized double-layer EBG structures for broadband mutual coupling reduction between UWB monopoles," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 63, No. 3, 1168-1171, 2015. doi:10.1049/el.2011.1874
10. Li, L., Z. L. Zhou, J. S. Hong, and B. Z. Wang, "Compact dual-band-notched UWB planar monopole antenna with modified SRR," Electron. Lett., Vol. 47, No. 17, 950-951, 2011. doi:10.1109/TAP.2013.2295213
11. Choukiker, Y. K., S. K. Sharma, and S. K. Behera, "Hybrid Fractal shape planar monopole antenna covering multiband wireless communications with MIMO implementation for handheld mobile devices," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 62, No. 3, 1483-1488, 2014. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2017.0770
12. Abed, A. T., "Highly compact size serpentine-shaped multiple-input-multiple-output fractal antenna with CP diversity," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 12, No. 4, 636-640, 2018. doi:10.1002/mop.29162
13. Khan, B. D. B. M. S., A. D. Capobianco, M. F. Shafique, B. Ijaz, and A. Naqvi, "Isolation enhancement of a wideband MIMO antenna using floating parasitic elements," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 57, No. 7, 1677-1682, 2015. doi:10.1109/TAP.2011.2173432
14. Li, Z., Z. Du, M. Takahashi, K. Saito, and K. Ito, "Reducing mutual coupling of MIMO antennas with parasitic elements for mobile terminals," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 60, No. 2, 473-481, 2012.
15. Kumar, M. and V. Nath, "Introducing multiband and wideband microstrip patch antennas using fractal geometries: Development in Last Decade," Science Business Media. Wireless Pers. Commun., 1-27, Springer, LLC, 2017.
16. Gao, P., S. He, X. Wei, et al. "Compact printed UWB diversity slot antenna with 5.5-GHz band-notched characteristics," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 13, 376-379, 2014. doi:10.1109/MAP.2017.2658346
17. Sharawi, M. S., "Current misuses and future prospects for printed multiple-input, multiple-output antenna systems," IEEE Antennas and Propag. Magazine, 162-170, April 2017.
18. Ren, J., W. Hu, Y. Yin, and R. Fan, "Compact printed MIMO antenna for UWB applications," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 13, 1517-1520, 2014. doi:10.1109/TAP.2013.2263277
19. Liu, L., S. W. Cheung, and T. I. Yuk, "Compact MIMO antenna for portable devices in UWB applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., No. 8, 4257-4264, August 2013. doi:10.1049/el.2015.1327
20. Zhang, J.-Y., F. Zhang, W.-P. Tian, and Y.-L. Luo, "Acs-fed UWB-MIMO antenna with shared Acs-fed UWB-MIMO antenna with shared," Electron. Lett., Vol. 51, No. 7, 1301-1302, 2015. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2015.2422571
21. Kang, L., H. Li, X. Wang, and X. Shi, "Compact offset microstrip-fed MIMO antenna for band-notched UWB applications," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 14, 1754-1757, 2015. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2015.2412659
22. Tripathi, S., A. Mohan, and S. Yadav, "A compact Koch fractal UWB MIMO antenna with WLAN band-rejection," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 14, 1565-1568, 2015. doi:10.1002/mop.29632
23. Zhu, J., B. Feng, B. Peng, L. Deng, and S. Li, "A dual notched band MIMO slot antenna system with Y-Shaped defected ground structure for UWB applications," Microvave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 58, No. 3, 626-630, March 2016. doi:10.1002/mop.29714
24. Zhu, J., B. Feng, B. Peng, S. Li, and L. Deng, "Compact CPW UWB diversity slot antenna with dual band-notched characteristics," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 58, No. 4, 989-994, April 2016. doi:10.1002/mop.29843