Recent reports on metasurfaces have focused on beam-deflector, a canonical optical element that can be used to compose other functionalities. Most reported designs, however, are limited to small deflection angles; large-angle (≥50 degrees deflection) transmission-mode beam steering designs show poor efficiency. Furthermore, rapid efficiency degradation is also observed for small deviations in the angle of incidence. This paper presents a numerical study of beam-deflectors based on extended unitcell metagratings (unit-cells containing multiple differently sized nanoantenna members). In comparison to previous reports, the designs achieve significant efficiency improvements, wider acceptance angles and better polarization filtering. The versatility of the design technique is demonstrated by designing polarizing beam deflectors polarization insensitive beam deflectors and prismatic beam deflectors.
Krupali D. Donda,
"Optimal Design of Beam-Deflectors Using Extended Unit-Cell Metagratings," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M,
Vol. 77, 83-92, 2019. doi:10.2528/PIERM18092801
1. Genevet, P. and F. Capasso, "Holographic optical metasurfaces: A review of current progress," Reports on Progress in Physics. Physical Society (Great Britain), Vol. 78, No. 2, 24401, 2015. doi:10.1088/0034-4885/78/2/024401
2. Ding, F., A. Pors, and S. I. Bozhevolnyi, "Gradient metasurfaces: A review of fundamentals and applications," Reports on Progress in Physics, 81, 2018.
3. Khorasaninejad, M., W. T. Chen, R. C. Devlin, J. Oh, A. Y. Zhu, and F. Capasso, "Metalenses at visible wavelengths: Diffraction-limited focusing and subwavelength resolution imaging," Science, Vol. 352, No. 6290, 1190-1194, 2016. doi:10.1126/science.aaf6644
4. Zheng, G., H. Mühlenbernd, M. Kenney, G. Li, T. Zentgraf, and S. Zhang, "Metasurface holograms reaching 80% efficiency," Nature Nanotechnology, Vol. 10, No. 4, 308-312, 2015. doi:10.1038/nnano.2015.2
5. Vashistha, V., G. Vaidya, R. S. Hegde, A. E. Serebryannikov, N. Bonod, and M. Krawczyk, "All-dielectric metasurfaces based on cross-shaped resonators for color pixels with extended gamut," ACS Photonics, Vol. 4, No. 5, 1076-1082, 2017. doi:10.1021/acsphotonics.6b00853
6. Tang, S., T. Cai, G.-M. Wang, J.-G. Liang, X. Li, and J. Yu, "High-efficiency dual-modes vortex beam generator with polarization-dependent transmission and reflection properties," Scientific Reports, Vol. 8, No. 6422, 1-10, 2018.
7. Byrnes, S. J., A. Lenef, F. Aieta, and F. Capasso, "Designing large, high-efficiency, high-numerical-aperture, transmissive meta-lenses for visible light," Optics Express, Vol. 24, No. 5, 5110, 2016. doi:10.1364/OE.24.005110
8. Zhou, M., S. B. Sørensen, E. Jøgensen, P. Meincke, O. S. Kim, and O. Breinbjerg, "Analysis of printed reflectarrays using extended local periodicity," Proceedings of the 5th European Conference on Antennas and Propagation, 1494-1498, 2011.
9. Ra, Y., D. L. Sounas, and A. Alù, "Metagratings: Beyond the limits of graded metasurfaces for wave front control," Physical Review Letters, Vol. 119, No. 067404, 1-6, 2017.
10. Liu, W. and A. E. Miroshnichenko, "Beam steering with dielectric metalattices," ACS Photonics, Vol. 5, No. 5, 1733-1741, 2018. doi:10.1021/acsphotonics.7b01217
11. Epstein, A. and O. Rabinovich, "Unveiling the properties of metagratings via a detailed analytical model for synthesis and analysis," Physical Review Applied, Vol. 8, No. 054037, 1-17, 2017.
12. Donda, K. D. and R. S. Hegde, "Rapid design of wide-area heterogeneous electromagnetic metasurfaces beyond the unit-cell approximation," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 60, 1-10, 2017. doi:10.2528/PIERM17070405
13. Donda, K. D. and R. S. Hegde, "Evolutionary algorithms for designing metalenses," IEEE International Conference on Microwave and Photonics (ICMAP 2018), 1-2, 2018.
14. Egorov, M. E. V. and J. Scheuer, "Genetically optimized all-dielectric metasurfaces," Optics Express, Vol. 25, No. 3, 2583-2593, 2017. doi:10.1364/OE.25.002583
15. Liu, V. and S. Fan, "S4: A free electromagnetic solver for layered periodic structures," Computer Physics Communications, Vol. 183, No. 10, 2233-2244, 2012. doi:10.1016/j.cpc.2012.04.026
16. Yu, Y. F., A. Y. Zhu, R. Paniagua-Domínguez, Y. H. Fu, B. Luk’yanchuk, and A. I. Kuznetsov, "High-transmission dielectric metasurface with 2π phase control at visible wavelengths," Laser and Photonics Reviews, Vol. 9, No. 4, 412-418, 2015. doi:10.1002/lpor.201500041
17. Lin, D., M. Melli, E. Poliakov, P. St Hilaire, S. Dhuey, S. Cabrini, M. Brongersma, and M. Klug, "Optical metasurfaces for high angle steering at visible wavelengths," Scientific Reports, Vol. 7, 1-8, 2017.
18. Yeom, J., Y. Wu, J. C. Selby, and M. A. Shannon, "Maximum achievable aspect ratio in deep reactive ion etching of silicon due to aspect ratio dependent transport and the microloading effect," Journal of Vacuum Science & Technology B: Microelectronics and Nanometer Structures, Vol. 23, No. 6, 2319, 2005. doi:10.1116/1.2101678
19. Palik, E. D., Handbook of Optical Constants of Solids, Vol. 2, Academic Press, Boston, 1991.
20., "Github repository for metagrating design,", https://github.com/rshegde/metasurfext, Accessed: Aug. 1, 2018.
21. Zhou, Z., J. Li, R. Su, B. Yao, H. Fang, K. Li, L. Zhou, J. Liu, D. Stellinga, C. P. Reardon, T. F. Krauss, and X. Wang, "Efficient silicon metasurfaces for visible light," ACS Photonics, Vol. 4, No. 3, 544-551, 2017. doi:10.1021/acsphotonics.6b00740
22. Wang, D., Q. Fan, J. Wang, and Z. Zhang, "All dielectric metasurface beam deflector at the visible frequencies," Opto-Electronic Engineering, Vol. 44, No. 1, 103-107, 2017.
23. Zhang, Q., M. Li, T. Liao, and X. Cui, "Design of beam deflector, splitters, wave plates and metalens using photonic elements with dielectric metasurface," Optics Communications, Vol. 411, No. 596, 93-100, 2018. doi:10.1016/j.optcom.2017.11.011
24. Inampudi, S. and H. Mosallaei, "Neural network based design of metagratings," Applied Physics Letters, Vol. 112, No. 241102, 1-5, 2018.