In this paper, design of a triple band ultrathin compact polarization insensitive metamaterial absorber for S-, C- and X-band applications is proposed. The proposed absorber consists of periodic arrangement of a modified triple circular slot ring resonator as unit cell printed on the top of a continuous metal backed FR-4 dielectric substrate. The proposed absorber is ultrathin having thickness of λ0/135.66 at the lowest absorption center frequency. The measured wide stable absorption bands of 0.40 GHz, 0.45 GHz and 0.47 GHz with absorption peaks of 97%, 96.45% and 98.20% at absorption center frequencies of 2.90 GHz, 4.18 GHz and 9.25 GHz respectively are observed. The temperature profile of absorber is measured by using lock in infrared thermography, and a temperature increase of 1°C at absorbing frequency as compared to non-absorbing frequency is observed. The absorber is demonstrated to be polarization insensitive to TE and TM polarized angles of incidence of electromagnetic wave with wide angular stability up to 45°. The absorber is fabricated and tested in an anechoic chamber. Experimental results agree well with measured ones.
Amit Kumar Singh,
Mahesh Pandurang Abegaonkar,
Shiban Kishen Koul,
"A Triple Band Polarization Insensitive Ultrathin Metamaterial Absorber for S- C- and X-Bands," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M,
Vol. 77, 187-194, 2019. doi:10.2528/PIERM18110601
1. Landy, I., S. S. Sajuyigbe, J. J. Mock, D. R. Smith, and W. J. Padilla, "A perfect metamaterial absorber," Phys. Rev. Letters, Vol. 100, 207402, 2008. doi:10.1103/PhysRevLett.100.207402
2. Lin, X. Q., P. Mei, P. C. Zhang, Z. Z. D. Chen, and Y. Fan, "Development of a resistor-loaded ultrawideband absorber with antenna reciprocity," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 64, No. 11, 4910-4913, Nov. 2016. doi:10.1109/TAP.2016.2598202
3. Yoo, M., H. K. Kim, and S. Lim, "Angular- and polarization-insensitive metamaterial absorber using subwavelength unit cell in multilayer technology," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 15, 414-417, 2016. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2015.2448720
4. Fan, Y., et al. "An active wideband and wide-angle electromagnetic absorber at microwave frequencies," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 15, 1913-1916, 2016. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2016.2544399
5. Tak, J. and J. Choi, "A wearable metamaterial microwave absorber," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 16, 784-787, 2017. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2016.2604257
6. Chaurasiya, D., S. Ghosh, S. Bhattacharyya, A. Bhattacharya, and K. V. Srivastava, "Compact multi-band polarisation-insensitive metamaterial absorber," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 10, No. 1, 94-101, Jan. 9, 2016. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2015.0220
7. Zhai, H., C. Zhan, Z. Li, and C. Liang, "A triple-band ultrathin metamaterial absorber with wide-angle and polarization stability," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 14, 241-244, 2015. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2014.2361011
8. Hasan, M. M., M. R. I. Faruque, and M. T. Islam, "A tri-band microwave perfect metamaterial absorber," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 59, 2302-2307, 2017. doi:10.1002/mop.30726
9. Heydari, S., P. Jahangiri, A. Sharifi, F. B. Zarrabi, and S. Arezomand, "Fractal brokencross with Jerusalem load absorber for multiband application with polarization independence," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 59, 1942-1947, 2017. doi:10.1002/mop.30660
10. Mishra, N., D. Choudhary, R. Chowdhury, K. Kumari, and R. Chaudhary, "An investigation on compact ultra-thin triple band polarization independent metamaterial absorber for microwave frequency applications," IEEE Access, Vol. 5, No. 99, 4370-4376, 2017. doi:10.1109/ACCESS.2017.2675439
11. Zheng, D., Y. Cheng, D. Cheng, Y. Nie, and R. Z. Gong, "Four-band polarization-insensitive metamaterial absorber based on flower-shaped structures," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 142, 221-229, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIER13052607
12. Dincer, F., M. Karaaslan, E. Unal, K. Delihacioglu, and C. Sabah, "Design of polarization and incident angle insensitive dual-band metamaterial absorber based on isotropic resonators," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 144, 123-132, 2014. doi:10.2528/PIER13111403
13. Wang, G.-D., J.-F. Chen, X. Hu, Z.-Q. Chen, and M. Liu, "Polarization-insensitive triple-band microwave metamaterial absorber based on rotated square rings," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 145, 175-183, 2014. doi:10.2528/PIER14010401
14. Singh, A. K., M. P. Abegaonkar, and S. K. Koul, "Penta band polarization insensitive metamaterial absorber for EMI/EMC reduction and defense applications," 2017 IEEE MTT-S International Microwave and RF Conference (IMaRC), 1-5, Ahmedabad, 2017.
15. Singh, A. K., M. P. Abegaonkar, and S. K. Koul, "High gain and high aperture efficiency cavity resonator antenna using metamaterial superstrate," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 16, 2388-2391, 2017. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2017.2719864
16. Muzaffar, K., S. Tuli, and S. Koul, "Determination of polarization of microwave signals by lock-in infrared thermography," IETE Journal of Research, Vol. 62, No. 1, 81-90, 2016.
17. Singh, A. K., M. P. Abegaonkar, and S. K. Koul, "Dual- and triple-band polarization insensitive ultrathin conformal metamaterial absorbers with wide angular stability," IEEE Transactions on Electromagnetic Compatibility, Vol. 3, 1-9, 2018. doi:10.1109/TEMC.2018.2839881
18. Bakır, M., M. Karaaslan, F. Dincer, K. Delihacioglu, and C. Sabah, "Tunable perfect metamaterial absorber and sensor applications," Journal of Materials Science: Materials in Electronics, Vol. 27, No. 11, 12091-12099, 2017. doi:10.1007/s10854-016-5359-7