A novel broadbeam aperture-coupled coplanar parasitic rectangular dielectric resonator antenna is proposed which yields broadbeam in both working planes simultaneously. The antenna consists of a main radiating rectangular dielectric element centered over a wide feed slot and two parasitic rectangular dielectric elements one on each side of the main radiating element with an optimum gap in between. The dielectric height and wide slot both play an important role in enhancing the beamwidth in two principal planes simultaneously. It is validated that inclusion of parasitic elements enhances the broadbeam bandwidth in addition to frequency bandwidth. First three azimuthal modes are excited out of which first two modes TEx111 and TEx112 are desired. The proposed antenna is compared with single element rectangular dielectric resonator antenna. To validate the proposed design, a prototype is fabricated and measured. The simulated and measured operating frequency bands of the proposed antenna respectively are 4.8 to 6.9 GHz and 5 to 6.8 GHz. The measured E- and H-plane beamwidths range from 115° to 144° and from 115° to 124°, respectively, yielding a wider coverage area.
Syeda Hiba Hussain Mashhadi,
Muhammad Wasif Niaz,
"Broadbeam Coplanar-Parasitic Rectangular Dielectric Resonator Antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M,
Vol. 81, 55-66, 2019. doi:10.2528/PIERM19020108
1. Patel, R. and K. J. Han, "Utilization of higher-mode resonance in broadening the E-plane HPBW of printed antenna for automotive radar application," Proc. Inter. Workshop Antennas Technology (iWAT), 330-332, Mar. 2015. doi:10.1109/IWAT.2015.7365275
2. Mukherjee, B., P. Patel, and J. Mukherjee, "Hemispherical dielectric resonator antenna based on apollonian gasket of circles - A fractal approach," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 62, No. 1, 40-47, Oct. 2014. doi:10.1109/TAP.2013.2287011
3. Cheng, Y. F., X. Ding, W. Shao, M. X. Yu, and B. Z. Wang, "2-D planar wide-angle scanning-phased array based on wide-beam elements," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 16, 876-879, 2017. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2016.2613130
4. Dadgarpour, A., B. Zarghooni, B. S. Virdee, and T. A. Denidni, "Single end-fire antenna for dual-beam and broad beamwidth operation at 60 GHz by artificially modifying the permittivity of the antenna substrate," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 64, No. 9, 4068-4073, Sep. 2016. doi:10.1109/TAP.2016.2574881
5. Zhang, J. W., S. S. Zhong, and Q. Wu, "Large-bandwidth patch antenna with ridge-shaped ground plate," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 48, No. 9, 487-488, Mar. 2006. doi:10.1002/mop.21386
6. Chattopadhyay, S., J. Y. Siddiqui, and D. Guha, "Rectangular microstrip patch on a composite dielectric substrate for high-gain wide-beam radiation patterns," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 57, No. 10, 3325-3328, Oct. 2009. doi:10.1109/TAP.2009.2029607
7. Haidan, H., "A novel wide beam, circular polarization antenna - Microstrip-dielectric antenna," Proc. Inter. Conf. Microwave and Millimeter Wave Technology (ICMMT), 381-384, Beijing, China, Aug. 2002. doi:10.1109/ICMMT.2002.1187716
8. Chang, T.-H. and J.-F. Kiang, "Dielectric resonator antenna with bending metallic planes,", US patent, 2009/0102739 A1, 2008.
9. Hui, K. Y. and K. M. Luk, "A patch loaded dielectric resonator antenna," Proc IEEE Region 10 Conf. (TENCON), 1-4, Melbourne, Australia, Nov. 2005.
10. He, Y., W. Wang, and X. Du, "A wide-band wide-beam dielectric resonator antenna," Proc IEEE Conf. Antenna Measurements Applications (CAMA), 210-212, Tsukuba, Japan, Dec. 2017.
11. Luk, K. M. and K. W. Leung, Dielectric Resonator Antennas, Research Studies Press, London, UK, 2011.
12. Kiran, D. V., D. S. Narayanan, V. K. Killamsetty, and B. Mukherjee, "Photonic waveguide inspired corrugated cross-coupled notch DRA," Electromagnetics, Taylor & Francis, Vol. 38, No. 7, 458-468, Aug. 2018.
13. Patel, B. A., V. B. Vaghela, and H. Patel, "Design and simulation of rectangular dielectric resonator antenna for UWB application," IJSRD - International Journal for Scientific Research & Development, Vol. 3, No. 3, 711-713, 2015.
14. Kshirsagar, P., S. Gupta, and B. Mukherjee, "Novel design of conformal-strip excited asymmetrical rectangular dielectric resonator antenna for ultra-wide band application," Journal of Microwave Power & Electromagnetic Energy, Taylor and Francis, Vol. 52, No. 2, 128-141, 2018. doi:10.1080/08327823.2018.1440343
15. Kshirsagar, P., S. Gupta, and B. Mukherjee, "A two segment rectangular dielectric resonator antenna for ultra-wideband application," Electromagnetics, Taylor & Francis Electromagnetics, Taylor and Francis, Vol. 38, No. 1, 20-33, 2018.
16. Kajfez, D., A. W. Glisson, and J. James, "Evaluation of modes in dielectric resonators using a surface integral equation formulation," Proc. IEEE MTT-S Inter. Microwave Symposium Digest, 409-411, Boston, MA, USA, 1983.
17. Gupta, P., D. Guha, and C. Kumar, "Dielectric resonator working as feed as well as antenna: New concept for dual-mode dual-band improved design," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 64, No. 4, 1497-1502, Jan. 2016. doi:10.1109/TAP.2016.2521887
18. Deng, L., M. Seltzer, and D. Yu, "Characteristics of aperture-coupled cylindrical dielectric resonator antennas on a thick ground plane," IEE Proceedings - Microwaves, Antennas and Propag., Vol. 146, No. 6, 439-442, Dec. 1999. doi:10.1049/ip-map:19990675
19. Junker, G. P., A. A. Kishk, and A. W. Glisson, "Input impedance of dielectric resonator antennas excited by a coaxial probe," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 42, No. 7, 960-966, Jul. 1994. doi:10.1109/8.299598
20. Leung, K. W. and S. K. Mok, "Circularly polarized dielectric resonator antenna excited by a perturbed annular slot with a backing cavity," Electronics Lett., Vol. 37, No. 15, 934-936, Jul. 2001. doi:10.1049/el:20010658
21. Guha, D., P. Gupta, and C. Kumar, "New mode in dielectric resonator antenna with strawberry shaped radiations covering a wide beamwidth," Proc. Inter Symposium Antennas Propag. and USNC-URSI Radio Science Meeting (APSURSI), 1912-1913, 2013.
22. Gupta, P., D. Guha, and C. Kumar, "Dielectric resonator working as feed as well as antenna: New concept for dual-mode dual-band improved design," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 64, No. 4, 1497-1502, Jan. 2016. doi:10.1109/TAP.2016.2521887
23. Simons, R. N. and R. Q. Lee, "Effect of parasitic dielectric resonators on CPW/aperture - Coupled dielectric resonator antennas," IEE Proc. Part H, Vol. 140, No. 5, 336-338, Oct. 1993.