Due to the exponential growth of the number and scale of wind farms, wind turbine clutter has become the main factor that limits the detection performance of weather radar systems. As a consequence of the rapid rotation of wind turbine blades, conventional ground clutter filters are ineffective at removing wind turbine clutter (WTC). An improved range-Doppler joint interpolation for WTC suppression is proposed in this paper. The proposed algorithm firstly exploits the frequency-domain transformation technique to improve the signal-to-noise ratio (SNR), so that the interpolation algorithm can recover the weather signal in the case of low SNR. Then, the weather signals recovered by one-dimensional interpolation in range domain and Doppler domain are calculated, respectively, and the two-dimensional joint interpolation is performed based on two-dimensional weighted coefficients calculated via a least mean squares criterion. Theoretical analysis and simulation results show that the proposed algorithm effectively suppresses the wind turbine clutter and significantly reduces the bias in radial velocity estimation caused by WTC contamination in low SNR environments.
"Wind Turbine Clutter Suppression for Weather Radars by Improved Range-Doppler Domain Joint Interpolation in Low SNR Environments," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M,
Vol. 85, 145-154, 2019. doi:10.2528/PIERM19070701
1. Gallardo-Hernando, B. and J. Munoz-Ferreras, "Wind turbine clutter observations and theoretical validation for meteorological radar applications," IET Radar Sonar Nav., Vol. 5, No. 2, 111-117, 2011. doi:10.1049/iet-rsn.2009.0296
2. Isom, B. M., R. D. Palmer, G. S. Secrest, et al. "Detailed observations of wind turbine clutter with scanning weather radars," J. Atmos. Ocean. Tech., Vol. 26, No. 5, 894-910, 2009. doi:10.1175/2008JTECHA1136.1
3. Liu, Y. and J. He, "A study of ground clutter suppression with a regression filter," International Conference on Signal Processing, IEEE, 2007.
5. Golbon-Haghighi, M. H., "Ground clutter detection for weather radar using phase fluctuation index," IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 57, No. 5, 2889-2895, 2018. doi:10.1109/TGRS.2018.2878378
6. Uysal, F. and I. Selesnick, "Mitigation of wind turbine clutter for weather radar by signal separation," IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 54, No. 5, 2925-2934, 2016. doi:10.1109/TGRS.2015.2508380
7. Gallardo-Hernando, B. and F. Perez-Martinez, "Detection and mitigation of wind turbine clutter in C-band meteorological radar," IET Radar Sonar & Navig, Vol. 4, No. 4, 520-527, 2010. doi:10.1049/iet-rsn.2008.0212
8. Hood, K., S. Torres, and R. Palmer, "Automatic detection of wind turbine clutter for weather radars," J. Atmos. Ocean. Tech., Vol. 27, No. 11, 1868-1880, 2010. doi:10.1175/2010JTECHA1437.1
9. Danoon, L. R. and A. K. Brown, "Modeling methodology for computing the radar cross section and Doppler signature of wind farms," IEEE Trans. on Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 61, No. 10, 5166-5174, 2013. doi:10.1109/TAP.2013.2272454
10. Lok, Y. F., A. Palevsky, and J. Wang, "Simulation of radar signal on wind turbine," IEEE Aerospace & Electronic Systems Magazine, Vol. 26, No. 8, 39-42, 2011. doi:10.1109/MAES.2011.5980608
12. Yuan, Z., et al. "Phase difference measurement of undersampled sinusoidal signals based on coherent accumulation and DFT," Geoscience & Remote Sensing Symposium, IEEE, 2016.
13. Hardy, R. L., "Multiquadric equations of topography and other irregular surfaces," J. Geophys. Res., Vol. 76, No. 8, 1905-1911, 1971. doi:10.1029/JB076i008p01905
14. Franke, R., "Scattered data interpolation: Tests of some methods," Math. Comput., Vol. 38, No. 157, 181-200, 1982.
15. Vidal, L. and W. Stephen, "C-band dual-polarization radar observation of a massive volcanic eruption in South America," IEEE J. Sel. Topic Appl. Earth Observ., Vol. 10, No. 3, 960-974, 2017. doi:10.1109/JSTARS.2016.2640227