In this paper, a new type of single loaded broadband double-whip antenna is designed for very high frequency (VHF). The simulation model by moment method is established to analyze the influence of antenna spacing on the performance of a double-whip antenna. The location of antenna loading and the parameters of loading network and broadband matching network are optimized by grasshopper optimization algorithm, and the voltage standing wave ratio (VSWR), gain, pattern and roundness of double-whip antenna are calculated. In fact, a fabricated prototype of the proposed antenna is realized. The measured VSWR is consistent with the simulation results, which is less than 3 at all frequencies, with an average value of 1.89; the maximum directional gain is greater than 2.01 dB, with a maximum of 6.44 dB and average value of 3.79 dB; the minimum roundness of antenna gain is 0.03 dB (at 30 MHz), and the maximum roundness is 1.87 dB (at 300 MHz); the efficiency is all over 51%, with a maximum value of 79% and an average value of 60.71%.
"A Novel Broadband Double Whip Antenna for Very High Frequency," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,
Vol. 99, 209-219, 2020. doi:10.2528/PIERC19101701
1. Mohammad, B., A. B. Mehdi, and M. A. Karim, "Design of a low-cost broadband loaded dipole antenna for VHF/UHF frequency range," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 13, No. 12, 1983-1988, 2019. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2018.5753
2. Rogers, S. D., C. M. Butler, and A. Q. Martin, "Design and realization of GA-optimized wire monopole and matching network with 20 : 1 band-width," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 51, No. 3, 493-502, Mar. 2003. doi:10.1109/TAP.2003.809851
3. Yegin, K. and A. Q. Martin, "Very broadband loaded monopole antennas," Proc. IEEE Antennas and Propag. Soc. Int. Symp., Vol. 1, 232-235, Montreal, QC, Canada, Jul. 1997.
4. Ding, X., B.-Z. Wang, G. Zheng, and X.-M. Li, "Design and realization of a GA-optimized VHF/UHF antenna with `on-body’ matching network," IEEE Antenna Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 9, 303-307, 2010. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2010.2047374
5. Lizuka, H. and P. S. Hall, "Left-handed dipole antennas and their implementations," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 55, No. 5, 1246-1253, 2007. doi:10.1109/TAP.2007.895568
6. Abramo, R., "Broadband, high-power, 2-30 MHz, twin-whip antenna. Computer and 1/10-scale model design study," Final Report Naval Command, Control and Ocean Surveillance Center, San Diego, CA. RDT and E. Div., Jan. 1994.
7. Liang, X. U., "Novel VHF broadband twin-whip antenna," Chinese Journal of Radio Science, Vol. 24, No. 6, 1125-1128, 2009.
8. Ding, X., B. Z. Wang, G. D. Ge, et al. "A broadband VHF/UHF double-whip antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 60, No. 2, 719-724, 2012. doi:10.1109/TAP.2011.2173141
9. Sun, B.-H. and Q.-Z. Liu, "A new technique for the efficient MoM analysis of wire antennas," Journal of Xidian University, Vol. 28, No. 4, 487-491, 2001.
10. Wang, H. F., C. Liu, and H. N. Wu, "HF wideband whip antanna optimization based on invasive weed optimization algorithm," Radio Engineering, Vol. 46, No. 11, 63-67, 2016.
11. Bod, M., M. Ahmadi-Boroujeni, and K. Mohammadpour-Aghdam, "Broadband loaded monopole antenna with a novel on-body matching network," AEU --- International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 70, No. 11, 1551-1555, 2016. doi:10.1016/j.aeue.2016.09.012
12. Manoochehri, O., M. A. Salari, and A. Darvazehban, "A short broadband monopole antenna," AEU --- International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 83, 240-244, 2018. doi:10.1016/j.aeue.2017.09.007
13. Sengül, M., "Design of broadband single matching networks," AEU --- International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 63, No. 3, 153-157, 2009. doi:10.1016/j.aeue.2007.11.010
14. Burke, G. J. and A. J. Poffio, "Numerical Electromagnetics Code (NEC) method of moments," Rep. UCID 18834, Laurrence Livermore Lab, CA, Jan. 1981.
15. Saremi, S., S. Mirjalili, and A. Lewis, "Grasshopper optimisation algorithm: Theory and application," Advances in Engineering Software, Vol. 105, 30-47, 2017. doi:10.1016/j.advengsoft.2017.01.004
16. Mirjalili, S. Z., S. Mirjalili, S. Saremi, et al. "Grasshopper optimization algorithm for multi-objective optimization problems," Applied Intelligence, Vol. 3, 1-16, 2017.
17. Wang, H., C. Liu, H. Wu, and X. Xie, "A novel frequency reconfigurable HF broadband whip antenna based on GOA optimization," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 87, 11-21, 2019. doi:10.2528/PIERM19091002
18. Wang, H. F., C. Liu, H. N. Wu, and X. Xie, "Optimization design of short wave broadband whip antenna loaded with radiation lobes," Journal of National University of Defense Technology, Vol. 41, No. 5, 159-165, 2019.