Time domain reflectometry is frequently used to localize faults in electrical systems. Most existing literature on reflectometry in transmission lines considers symmetric faults that are either shorts between the two conductors or open circuits where both conductors are disconnected at the same location. This paper investigates spread spectrum time domain reflectometry (SSTDR) applied to asymmetric twin-lead transmission lines in which either only one conductor is disconnected or the reflectometry instrument itself is asymmetric. For asymmetric faults, we observe not only the expected dominant reflection corresponding to the location of the disconnection, but also an additional reflection from the end of the transmission line. In the second case, we leverage the asymmetric response of the SSTDR instrument to identify which of the two otherwise identical conductors has been disconnected.
1. Pandey, G., E. T. Thostenson, and D. Heider, "Electric time domain reflectometry sensors for non-invasive structural health monitoring of glass fiber composites," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 137, 551-564, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIER13020611
2. Furse, C., Y. C. Chung, C. Lo, and P. Pendayala, "A critical comparison of reflectometry methods for location of wiring faults," Smart Structures and Systems, Vol. 2, No. 1, 25-46, 2006. doi:10.12989/sss.2006.2.1.025
3. Zhang, X., M. Zhang, and D. Liu, "Reconstruction of faulty cable network using time-domain reflectometry," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 136, 457-478, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIER12121402
4. Harley, J. B., M. U. Saleh, S. Kingston, M. A. Scarpulla, and C. Furse, "Fast transient simulations for multi-segment transmission lines with a graphical model," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 165, 67-82, 2019. doi:10.2528/PIER19042105
5. Saleh, M. U., J. LaCombe, N. K. T. Jayakumar, S. Kingston, J. Harley, C. Furse, and M. Scarpulla, "Signal propagation through piecewise transmission lines for interpretation of reflectometry in photovoltaic systems," IEEE Journal of Photovoltaics, Vol. 9, No. 2, 506-512, 2018. doi:10.1109/JPHOTOV.2018.2884011
6. Smith, P., C. Furse, and J. Gunther, "Analysis of spread spectrum time domain reflectometry for wire fault location," IEEE Sensors Journal, Vol. 5, No. 6, 1469-1478, 2005. doi:10.1109/JSEN.2005.858964
7. Tripathi, V. K., "Asymmetric coupled transmission lines in an inhomogeneous medium," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 23, No. 9, 734-739, 1975. doi:10.1109/TMTT.1975.1128665
8. Oraizi, H. and M. S. Esfahlan, "Miniaturization of wilkinson power dividers by using defected ground structures," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 4, 113-120, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERL08060701
9. Furse, C., P. Smith, M. Safavi, and C. Lo, "Feasibility of spread spectrum sensors for location of arcs on live wires," IEEE Sensors Journal, Vol. 5, No. 6, 1445-1450, 2005. doi:10.1109/JSEN.2005.858900
10. Staszek, K., S. Gruszczynski, and K. Wincza, "Six-port reflectometer providing enhanced power distribution," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 64, No. 3, 939-951, 2016.
11. Smaıl, M.-K., T. Hacib, L. Pichon, and F. Loete, "Detection and location of defects in wiring networks using time-domain reflectometry and neural networks," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 47, No. 5, 1502-1505, 2011. doi:10.1109/TMAG.2010.2089503
12., "Spec 5851 SunGen XLPE, photovoltaic wire, 2000 V, UL type PV or 1000 V, CSA RPVU90, single conductor, copper,", [Online]. Available: http://dtsheet.com/doc/1724396/spec-5851-sungen-xlpe–photovoltaic-wire–2000-v–ul-type, Accessed: Aug. 23, 2018. doi:10.1109/TMAG.2010.2089503
13. Jayakumar, N. K. T., E. Benoit, S. Kingston, M. U. Saleh, M. Scarpulla, J. Harley, and C. Furse, "Post-processing for improved accuracy and resolution of spread spectrum time domain reflectometry (SSTDR)," IEEE Sensors Letters, 2019.
14., "Amazon.com: Sun YOBA 20 Pairs MC4 cable connectors male/female safety seal ring waterproof solar panel cable connectors black: Garden & outdoor,", [Online]. Available: https://www.amazon.com/Sun-YOBA-Connector-Waterproof-Connectors/dp/B074VB8CW5/.
15., "Live cable fault detection by livewire innovation,", https://www.livewireinnovation.com/, Accessed: May 07, 2018.
16. Pozar, D. M., Microwave Engineering, Wiley, 2012.
17. Furse, C., N. K. T. Jayakumar, E. Benoit, M. U. Saleh, J. LaCombe, M. Scarpulla, J. Harley, S. Kingston, B.Waddoups, and C. Deline, "Spread spectrum time domain reflectometry for complex impedances: Application to PV arrays," 2018 IEEE Autotestcon. IEEE, 1-4, 2018.
18. Griffiths, L. A., R. Parakh, C. Furse, and B. Baker, "The invisible fray: A critical analysis of the use of reflectometry for fray location," IEEE Sensors Journal, Vol. 6, No. 3, 697-706, 2006. doi:10.1109/JSEN.2006.874017