For reducing the computational complexity of direction-finding algorithm in sparse multiple-input multiple-output (MIMO) radar, a low-complexity partial spatial smoothing (PSS) algorithm is presented to estimate the directions of multiple targets. Firstly, by dealing with a partly continuous sampling covariance vector in PSS technology, an incomplete signal subspace can be obtained. Then, a special matrix can be obtained by using this incomplete signal subspace. Meanwhile the incomplete signal subspace can also be repaired by the special matrix. At last, the multiple signal classification (MUSIC) algorithm is used to obtain direction estimations. In the process of obtaining signal subspace, no eigenvalue decomposition (EVD) needs to be performed. Compared with the traditional spatial smoothing (SS) technology, the proposed algorithm has lower computational complexity and higher estimation precision. Many simulation results are provided to support the proposed scheme.
1. Liu, S., J. Zhao, and W. Li, "Subspace extension algorithm for joint DOA and DOD estimation in bistatic MIMO radar," International Conference on Artificial Intelligence and Security, 244-252, Springer, Cham, 2019.
2. Xia, T. Q., "Joint diagonalization based DOD and DOA estimation for bistatic MIMO radar," Signal Processing, Vol. 108, 159-166, 2015.
3. Zheng, G. M. and B. X. Chen, "Unitary dual-resolution ESPRIT for joint DOD and DOA estimation in bistatic MIMO radar," Multidimensional Systems and Signal Processing, Vol. 26, No. 1, 159-178, 2015.
4. Qi, H., H. Jiang, and S. Yao, "Joint multi-target DOD and DOA estimation in bistatic MIMO radar exploiting 2-level nested arrays," International Conference on Radar Systems (Radar 2017), 1-4, IET, Belfast, UK, 2017.
5. Zheng, Z. and J. Zhang, "Fast method for multi-target localisation in bistatic MIMO radar," Electronics Letters, Vol. 47, 138-139, 2011.
6. Gao, H., J. Li, and M. Diao, "Direction finding of bistatic MIMO radar based onquantum-inspired grey wolf optimization in the impulse noise," EURASIP Journal on Advances in Signal Processing, Vol. 2018, 1-14, 2018.
7. Xie, R., Z. Liu, and Z. J. Zhang, "DOA estimation for monostatic MIMO radar using Polynomial root," Signal Processing, Vol. 90, No. 12, 3284-3288, 2010.
8. Zhang, X. and D. Xu, "Low-complexity ESPRIT-based DOA estimation for collocated MIMO radar," Electronic Letters, Vol. 47, No. 4, 283-284, 2011.
9. Zhang, X., Y. Huang, C. Chen, and D. Xu, "Reduced-complexity Capon for direction of arrival estimation in a monostatic multiple-input multiple-output radar," IET Radar, Sonar and Navigation, Vol. 6, No. 8, 796-801, 2012.
10. Li, J. F., X. F. Zhang, W. Y. Chen, and T. Hu, "Reduced-Dimensional ESPRIT for direction finding in monostatic MIMO radar with double parallel uniform linear arrays," Wireless Personal Communication, Vol. 77, No. 1, 1-19, 2014.
11. Wang, W., X. P. Wang, H. G. Song, and Y. H. Ma, "Conjugate ESPRIT for DOA estimation in monostatic MIMO radar," Signal Processing, Vol. 93, No. 7, 2070-2075, 2013.
12. Shi, J., G. Hu, X. Zhang, and Y. Xiao, "Symmetric sum coarray based co-prime MIMO configuration for direction of arrival estimation," AEU-International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 94, 339-347, 2018.
13. Shi, J., G. Hu, and X. Zhang, "Generalized co-prime MIMO radar for DOA estimation with enhanced degrees of freedom ," IEEE Sensors Journal, Vol. 18, No. 3, 1203-1212, 2018.
14. Vaidyanathan, P. P. and P. Pal, "Sparse sensing with co-prime samplers and arrays," IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, Vol. 59, No. 2, 573-586, 2011.
15. Pal, P. and P. P. Vaidyanathan, "Coprime sampling and the MUSIC algorithm," Proceedings of Digital Signal Processing Workshop and IEEE Signal Processing Education Workshop (DSP/SPE), 289-294, Sedona, AZ, USA, 2011.
16. Pal, P. and P. P. Vaidyanathan, "Nested arrays: A novel approach to array processing with enhanced degrees of freedom," IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, Vol. 58, No. 8, 4167-4181, 2010.
17. Yang, M., L. Sun, X. Yuan, and B. Chen, "Improved nested array with hole-free DCA and more degrees of freedom," Electronics Letters, Vol. 52, No. 25, 2068-2070, 2016.
18. Liu, S., Q. Liu, J. Zhao, and Z. Yuan, "Triple two-level nested array with improved degrees of freedom," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B,, Vol. 84, 135-151, 2019.
19. Yang, M., L. Sun, X. Yuan, and B. Chen, "A new nested MIMO array with increased degrees of freedom and hole-free difference coarray," IEEE Signal Processing Letters, Vol. 25, No. 1, 40-44, 2018.
20. Liu, Q., B. Wang, X. Li, J. Tian, T. Cheng, and S. Liu, "An optimizing nested MIMO array with hole-free 322 difference coarray," MATEC Web of Conferences, Vol. 232, 01055, EDP Sciences, 2018.
21. Gu, J. F., P. Wei, and H. M. Tai, "2-D direction-of-arrival estimation of coherent signals using cross-correlation matrix," Signal Processing, Vol. 88, 75-85, 2008.
22. Schmidt, R. O., "Multiple emitter location and signal parameter estimation," IEEE Transactions on Antennas Propagation, Vol. 34, No. 3, 276-280, 1986.
23. Richard, R. and T. Kailath, "ESPRIT-estimation of signal parameters via rotational invariance techniques," IEEE Trans. Acous, Speech, and Signal Process., Vol. 37, No. 7, 984-995, 1989.
24. Marcos, S., Marsal, and A. Benidir, "The propagator method for source bearing estimation," Signal Processing, Vol. 42, No. 2, 121-138, 1995.
25. Nie, X. and L. P. Li, "A computationally efficient subspace algorithm for 2-D DOA estimation with L-shaped array," IEEE Signal Processing Letters, Vol. 21, No. 8, 971-974, 2014.