A cosecant-squared radiation pattern synthesis for a planar antenna array by using the genetic algorithm (GA) is presented. GA makes array synthesis ﬂexible to achieve two desired features, namely, low peak side lobe level (PSLL) and small deviation (ripples) in the shaped beam region. In order to obtain a desired csc2 pattern with the PSLL constrained, GA optimizes both the excitation amplitude and phase weights of the array elements. Dynamic range ratio (DRR) of the excitation amplitudes is improved by eliminating the weakly excited array elements from the optimized array without distorting the obtained pattern. To illustrate the effectiveness and advantages of GA, the beam pattern with specified characteristics is obtained for the same array by using particle swarm optimization (PSO). Results show that the performances of GA and PSO are comparable when dealing with small-to-moderate planar antenna arrays. However, GA significantly outperforms PSO on large arrays. Moreover, numerical results reveal that GA is superior to PSO in terms of cost function evaluation and statistical tests.
"Low Sidelobe Cosecant-Squared Pattern Synthesis for Large Planar Array Using Genetic Algorithm," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M,
Vol. 93, 23-34, 2020. doi:10.2528/PIERM20042005
2. Skolnik, M., Introduction to Radar Systems, McGraw-Hill, Tokyo, 1981.
3. Woodward, P. M. and J. D. Lawson, "The theoretical precision with which an arbitrary radiation pattern may be obtained from a source of a finite size," J. IEE, Vol. 95, No. 37, 363-370, Sep. 1948.
4. Li, J.-Y., Y.-X. Qi, and S.-G. Zhou, "Shaped beam synthesis based on superposition principle and Taylor method," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 65, No. 11, 6157-6160, Nov. 2017. doi:10.1109/TAP.2017.2754468
5. Stutzman, W., "Synthesis of shaped-beam radiation patterns using the iterative sampling method," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 19, No. 1, 36-41, Jan. 1971. doi:10.1109/TAP.1971.1139892
6. Quijano, J. L. A. and G. Vecchi, "Alternating adaptive projections in antenna synthesis," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 58, No. 3, 727-737, Mar. 2010. doi:10.1109/TAP.2009.2039307
7. Haddadi, A., A. Ghorbani, and J. Rashed-Mohassel, "Cosecant-squared pattern synthesis using a weighted alternating reverse projection method," IET Microw., Antennas Propag., Vol. 5, No. 15, 1789-1795, 2011. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2011.0056
8. Fuchs, B., A. Skrivervik, and J. R. Mosig, "Shaped beam synthesis of arrays via sequential convex optimizations," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 12, 1049-1052, 2013. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2013.2280043
9. Echeveste, J. I., M. A. G. de Aza, and J. Zapata, "Shaped beam synthesis of real antenna arrays via finite-element method, floquet modal analysis, and convex programming," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 64, No. 4, 1279-1286, Apr. 2016. doi:10.1109/TAP.2016.2526038
10. Bucci, O. M., T. Isernia, and A. F. Morabito, "An effective deterministic procedure for the synthesis of shaped beams by means of uniformamplitude linear sparse arrays," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 61, No. 1, 169-175, Jan. 2013. doi:10.1109/TAP.2012.2219844
11. Pirhadi, A., M. H. Rahmani, and A. Mallahzadeh, "Shaped beam array synthesis using particle swarm optimisation method with mutual coupling compensation and wideband feeding network," IET Microw., Antennas Propag., Vol. 8, No. 8, 549-555, Jun. 2014. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2013.0104
12. Abo El-Hassan, M., K. H. Awadalla, and K. F. Hussein, "Shaped-beam circularly polarized antenna array of linear elements for satellite and SAR applications," Wireless Pers. Commun., Vol. 110, 605-619, 2020. doi:10.1007/s11277-019-06745-9
13. Yang, X., L. Chang, J. Zhang, D. Li, and M. Zhang, "A cosecant squared beam antenna array operating at 5.85–7.6GHz," 2019 Cross Strait Quad-Regional Radio Science and Wireless Technology Conference (CSQRWC), 1-3, Taiyuan, China, 2019.
14. Krishna Chaitanya, R., G. S. N. Raju, K. V. S. N. Raju, and P. Mallikarjuna Rao, "Antenna pattern synthesis using the quasi Newton method, firefly and particle swarm optimization techniques," IETE Journal of Research, 1-9, 2019. doi:10.1080/03772063.2019.1643263
15. Ferreira, J. A. and F. Ares, "Pattern synthesis of conformal arrays by the simulated annealing technique," Electron. Lett., Vol. 33, No. 14, 1187-1189, Jul. 1997. doi:10.1049/el:19970838
16. Ho, S. L. and S. Yang, "Multiobjective synthesis of antenna arrays using a vector tabu search algorithm," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 8, 947-950, Aug. 2009. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2009.2029135
17. Akdagli, A. A., K. Guney, and D. Karaboga, "Touring ant colony optimization algorithm for shaped-beam pattern synthesis of linear antenna," Electromagnetics, Vol. 26, 615-628, 2006. doi:10.1080/02726340600978349
18. Chatterjee, A., G. K. Mahanti, and P. R. S. Mahapatra, "Design of fully digital controlled reconfigurable dual-beam concentric ring array antenna using gravitational search algorithm," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 18, 59-72, 2011. doi:10.2528/PIERC10101806
19. Larsson, E. G., O. Edfors, F. Tufvesson, and T. L. Marzetta, "Massive MIMO for next generation wireless systems," IEEE Commun. Mag., Vol. 52, No. 2, 186-195, Feb. 2014. doi:10.1109/MCOM.2014.6736761
20. Vollbracht, D., "System specification for dual polarized low power X-band weather radars using phased array technology," Proc. Int. Radar Conf., 1-6, Lille, France, Oct. 2014.
21. Sallam, T. and A. M. Attiya, "Different array synthesis techniques for planar antenna array," Applied Computational Electromagnetics Society Journal, Vol. 34, No. 5, 716-723, 2019.
22. Bregman, J. D., "Concept design for a low-frequency array," Proc. SPIE, Vol. 4015, 19-33, Jul. 2000.
23. Haupt, R. and D. Werner, Genetic Algorithms in Electromagnetics, 1st edition, Wiley-IEEE Press, 2007. doi:10.1002/047010628X
24. You, P., Y. Liu, K. D. Xu, C. Zhu, and Q. H. Liu, "Generalisation of genetic algorithm and fast Fourier transform for synthesising unequally spaced linear array shaped pattern including coupling effects," IET Microw., Antennas Propag., Vol. 11, No. 6, 827-832, May 2017. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2016.0773
25. Derrac, J., S. Garcia, D. Molina, and F. Herrera, "A practical tutorial on the use of nonparametric statistical tests as a methodology for comparing evolutionary and swarm intelligence algorithms," Swarm EVol. Comput, Vol. 1, 3-18, 2011. doi:10.1016/j.swevo.2011.02.002
26. Balanis, C. A., Antenna Theory: Analysis and Design, 4th edition, John Wiley & Sons, Inc, New York, 2016.
28. Goldberg, D. E., Genetic Algorithms in Search, Optimization, and Machine Learning, Addison- Wesley, Reading, MA, 1989.
29. Haupt, R. L. and S. E. Haupt, Practical Genetic Algorithms, 2nd edition, John Wiley & Sons, New York, 2004.
30. Boeringer, D. W. and D. H. Werner, "Particle swarm optimization versus genetic algorithms for phased array synthesis," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 52, No. 3, 771-779, Mar. 2004. doi:10.1109/TAP.2004.825102
31. Morabito, A. F., A. Massa, P. Rocca, et al. "An effective approach to the synthesis of phase-only reconfigurable linear arrays," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 60, No. 8, 3622-3631, 2012. doi:10.1109/TAP.2012.2201099