In this paper, the miniaturization of the slot antenna is presented for the first time with the use of high refractive index metamaterial. Based on the effective parameter extraction, the studies conducted on Single Ring Split Ring Resonator (SR-SRR) reveal that the unit cell can produce high values of positive refractive index. By taking the advantage of the principle of duality, the slot is loaded with two Complementary SR-SRRs (CSR-SRRs) on either side of it to create an effective HRI medium. With the partial loading of HRI metamaterial medium, the resonance frequency of the slot is brought down from 4.225 GHz to 2.5 GHz. The radiation characteristics of the loaded slot antenna were found to be almost similar to that of the conventional slot antenna. The simulated and measurement results were found in good agreement.
Gudibandi Bharath Reddy,
Murugan Harish Adhithya,
Dhamodharan Sriram Kumar,
"Miniaturization of Microstrip Slot Antenna Using High Refractive Index Metamaterial Based on Single Ring Split Ring Resonator," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters,
Vol. 93, 115-122, 2020. doi:10.2528/PIERL20060601
1. Fallahpour, M. and R. Zoughi, "Antenna miniaturization techniques: A review of topology- and material-based methods," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 60, No. 1, 38-50, Feb. 2018. doi:10.1109/MAP.2017.2774138
2. Ghosh, B., S. M. Haque, D. Mitra, and S. Ghosh, "A loop loading technique for the miniaturization of non-planar and planar antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 58, No. 6, 2116-2121, Jun. 2010. doi:10.1109/TAP.2010.2046842
3. Ghosh, B., S. M. Haque, and D. Mitra, "Miniaturization of slot antennas using slit and strip loading," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 59, No. 10, 3922-3927, Oct. 2011. doi:10.1109/TAP.2011.2163754
4. Haque, S. M. and K. M. Parvez, "Slot antenna miniaturization using slit, strip, and loop loading techniques," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 65, No. 5, 2215-2221, May 2017. doi:10.1109/TAP.2017.2684191
5. Ghosh, B., S. K. M. Haque, and N. R. Yenduri, "Miniaturization of slot antennas using wire loading," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 12, 488-491, 2013. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2013.2255857
6. Ziolkowski, R. W. and A. D. Kipple, "Application of double negative materials to increase the power radiated by electrically small antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 51, No. 10, 2626-2640, Oct. 2003. doi:10.1109/TAP.2003.817561
7. Tang, M. and R. W. Ziolkowski, "A study of low-profile, broadside radiation, efficient, electrically small antennas based on complementary split ring resonators," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 61, No. 9, 4419-4430, Sept. 2013. doi:10.1109/TAP.2013.2267711
8. Lai, A., K. M. K. H. Leong, and T. Itoh, "Infinite wavelength resonant antennas with monopolar radiation pattern based on periodic structures," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 55, No. 3, 868-876, Mar. 2007. doi:10.1109/TAP.2007.891845
9. Lovat, G., P. Burghignoli, F. Capolino, and D. R. Jackson, "Combinations of low/high permittivity and/or permeability substrates for highly directive planar metamaterial antennas," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 1, No. 1, 177-183, Feb. 2007. doi:10.1049/iet-map:20050353
10. Bharath Reddy, G., M. Harish Adhithya, and D. Sriram Kumar, "Miniaturization of monopole antenna using high refractive index metamaterial loading," International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer Aided Engineering, e22163, 2020.
11. Jabita, A. A., Design of singly split single ring resonator for measurement of dielectric constant of materials using resonant method, Univ. of Gavle, 2013.
12. Getsinger, W. J., "Circuit duals on planar transmission media," IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium Digest, 154-156, Boston, MA, USA, 1983.
13. Szabo, Z., G. Park, R. Hedge, and E. Li, "A unique extraction of metamaterial parameters based on Kramers-Kronig relationship," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 58, No. 10, 2646-2653, Oct. 2010. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2010.2065310