In order to shorten design optimization cycle and reduce the influence of low-order harmonic for multi-phase induction motor, two kinds of five-phase motors - using either a star or pentacle-star hybrid winding - are proposed based on the Y160L-4 three-phase induction motor, which keep the structure size of the stator and rotor and rated power constant, redesign the winding, and adjust the match parameters of the stator and rotor slots. Based on the Fourier series expansion method, the time-space harmonic magnetomotive force (MMF) analytic function of pentacle-star winding was given based on star winding MMF. According to the analysis for the MMF table of three kinds of induction motors, pentacle-star winding with 19th-order harmonic has a better performance than star-winding with 9th-order harmonic and three-phase delta winding with 5th-order harmonic. Further analysis suggests that the harmonic torque generated by the harmonic MMF can be used to improve the electromagnetic torque, and the effective torque characteristics of the three forms of induction motors are given. Two kinds of five-phase motors with different winding configurations can be realized based on the three-phase motor, and some simulated and experimental resluts show that the method is feasible, which provids significant value in engineering applications.
1. Yaday, K. B., A. K. Mohanty, and P. Kumar, "Recent research trend on multi-phase induction machines," Conf. on Control, Communication and Power Engineering, 580-586, 2014.
2. Levi, E., R. Bojoi, F. Profumo, H. A. Toliyat, and S. Williamson, "Multiphase induction motor drives — A technology status review," IET Electr. Power Appl., Vol. 1, No. 4, 489-516, 2007. doi:10.1049/iet-epa:20060342
3. Pellegrino, G., A. Vagati, B. Boazzo, and P. Guglielmi, "Comparison of induction and PM synchronous motor drives for EV application including design examples," IEEE Transaction on Industry Applications, Vol. 48, No. 10, 2322-2332, 2012. doi:10.1109/TIA.2012.2227092
4. Nguyen, N. K., E. Semail, F. Meinguet, and P. Sandulescu, "Different virtual stator winding configurations of open-end winding five-phase PM machines for wide speed range without flux weakening operation," EPE 2013, Vol. 34, No. 10, 1064-1076, 2013.
5. Klingshirn, E. A., "High phase order induction motors — Part II: Experimental results," IEEE Transaction on Power Apparatus and System, Vol. PAS102, 54-59, 1983. doi:10.1109/TPAS.1983.317997
7. Ward, E. E. and H. Harer, "Preliminary investigation of an inverter fed 5-phase induction motor," Electrical Engineers, Proceedings of the Institution, Vol. 116, No. 5, 980-984, 1969. doi:10.1049/piee.1969.0182
8. Levi, E., "Multiphase electric machines for variable-speed applications," IEEE Transaction on Industrial Electronics, Vol. 55, No. 5, 1893-1909, 2008. doi:10.1109/TIE.2008.918488
9. Sawahata, M., K. Nishihama, and H. Nikami, "Magnetic flux density analysis of wound rotor induction motor by permeance model," ICEMS 2009, Vol. 34, No. 10, 1064-1076, 2009.
10. Schreier, L., J. Bendl, and M. Chomat, "Analysis of fault tolerance of five-phase induction machine with various configurations of stator winding," EDPE 2015, 196-203, 2015.
11. Liang, X. and Y. Luy, "Harmonic analysis for induction motors," IEEE CCECE/CCGEI, Vol. 34, No. 10, 1064-1076, 2006.
12. Kindl, V., R. Cermak, Z. Ferkova, and B. Skala, "Review of time and space harmonics in multiphase induction machine," Energies, Vol. 13, 496, 2020. doi:10.3390/en13020496
13. Wu, X., et al., "Effect of stator winding combination modes for multiphase electric machines on MMFS and parameters," CSEE, Vol. 34, No. 10, 2944-2951, 2014.
14. Kocabas, D. A., "Novel winding and core design for maximum reduction of harmonic magnetomotive force in AC motors," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 45, No. 2, 735-746, 2009. doi:10.1109/TMAG.2008.2005532
15. Kowal, A., M. R. Arahal, C. Martin, and F. Barrero, "Constraint satisfaction in current control of a five-phase drive with locally tuned predictive controllers," Energies, Vol. 12, 2715, 2019. doi:10.3390/en12142715
16. Abdel-Khalik, A. S. S., S. Ahmed, and A. M. Massoud, "Low space harmonics cancelation in double-layer fractional slot winding using dual multiphase winding," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 51, No. 5, 8104710, 2015. doi:10.1109/TMAG.2014.2364988
17. Lei, Y., Z. Zhao, and D. G. Dorrell, "Design and analysis of star-delta hybrid windings for high-voltage induction motors," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, Vol. 58, No. 9, 3758-3767, 2011. doi:10.1109/TIE.2010.2054058
18. Sadeghi, S., L. Guo, and H. A. Toliyat, "Wide operational speed range of five-phase permanent magnet machines by using different stator winding configurations," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, Vol. 59, No. 6, 2621-2631, 2012. doi:10.1109/TIE.2011.2164771
19. Masoud, M. I., "Five phase induction motor: Phase transposition effect with different stator winding connections," IECON 2016, 1648-1655, 2016.
20. Abdel-Khalik, A. S., et al., "Steady-state mathematical modeling of a five-phase induction machine with a combined star/pentagon stator winding connection," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, Vol. 63, No. 3, 1331-1343, 2016. doi:10.1109/TIE.2015.2493151
21. Abdel-Khalik, A. S., et al., "An improved fault-tolerant five-phase induction machine using a combined star/pentagon single layer stator winding connection," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, Vol. 63, No. 1, 618-628, 2016. doi:10.1109/TIE.2015.2426672
22. Mohammadpour, A., S. Sadeghi, and L. Parsa, "A generalized fault-tolerant control strategy for five-phase pm motor drives considering star, pentagon, and pentacle connections of stator windings," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, Vol. 61, No. 10, 63-75, 2014. doi:10.1109/TIE.2013.2247011
23. Xu, S., Winding Theory of AC Motor, China Machine Press, Beijing, 1985.
24. Edelson, J. S., High phase order motor with mesh connected windings, U.S. Patent 6 831 430, Dec. 14, 2004.
25. Buening, D., Five phase alternating current generator, Eur. Patent EP1 29 643 9A2, Mar. 26, 2003.
26. Abdel-Khlik, A. S., A. S. Morsy, S. Ahmed, and A. M. Massoud, "Effect of stator winding connection on performance of five-phase induction machines," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, Vol. 61, No. 1, 3-19, 2014. doi:10.1109/TIE.2013.2242417
27. Gao, H., G. Yang, J. Liu, and P. Zhao, "Air-gap MMF analysis for five-phase PMSM with third harmonic injection," Electronic Machines and Control, Vol. 17, No. 10, 1-6, 2013.
28. Zhao, B. and G. Li, "The analysis of multiphase symmetrical motor winding MMF," Electronic Engineering and Automation, Vol. 2, No. 2, 11-18, 2013.
29. Rangari, S. C., H. M. Suryawanshi, and B. Shah, "Harmonic content testing for different connections of five-phase induction motor," ICPS2016, 2016.
30. Sadeghi, S., L. Parsa, and H. A. Toliyat, "Extending speed range of five-phase PM machines by changing the stator windings connections," IEMDC, 1540-1545, 2011.