This paper proposes a novel miniaturized bandpass filter by loading a stepped-impedance resonator (SIR). Owing to the intrinsic characteristic of SIR, a third-order bandpass filter with SIR is presented, which has a size reduction of 38% compared with the conventional hairpin-line filter. On account of the electrical tape gap effect of a defected ground structure (DGS), further miniaturization is realized by introducing a pair of complementary split-ring resonator (CSRR) DGSs. Besides, frequency selectivity and out-of-band rejection can be improved by adding CSRR DGS and source-load (S-L) coupling structures, which produce two transmission zeros at two side band of passband respectively. The results show that the passband range is 3.4-3.6 GHz, and the final size is reduced by 50.3%.
"A Novel Miniaturized Bandpass Filter Basing on Stepped-Impedance Resonator," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters,
Vol. 97, 77-85, 2021. doi:10.2528/PIERL21021003
1. Tsai, C. and H. Lee, "Improved design equations of the tapped-line structure for coupled-line filters," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 17, No. 4, 244-246, April 2007. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2007.892933
2. Marın, S., J. D. Martınez, and V. E. Boria, "Realization of filters with improved selectivity using lumped and quasi-lumped terminating half sections," 2017 47th European Microwave Conference (EuMC), 636-639, Nuremberg, 2017. doi:10.23919/EuMC.2017.8230928
3. Sanchez-Renedo, M., R. Gomez-Garcia, and R. Loeches-Sanchez, "Microstrip filters with selectivity improvement using the new concept of signal-interference source/load coupling," 2013 IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium Digest (MTT), 1-4, Seattle, WA, 2013.
4. Marzah, A. A. and J. S. Aziz, "Design and analysis of high performance and miniaturized bandpass filter using meander line and, Minkowski fractal geometry," 2018 Al-Mansour International Conference on New Trends in Computing, Communication, and Information Technology (NTCCIT) , 12-17, Baghdad, Iraq, 2018.
5. Ma, K., K. S. Yeo, J. Ma, and M. A. Do, "An ultra-compact hairpin band pass filter with additional zero points," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 17, No. 4, 262-264, April 2007. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2007.892955
6. Riaz, L., U. Naeem, and M. F. Shafique, "Miniaturization of SIW cavity filters through stub loading," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 26, No. 12, 981-983, December 2016. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2016.2623242
7. Pu, J., F. Xu, and Y. Li, "Miniaturized substrate integrated waveguide bandpass filters based on novel complementary split ring resonators," 2019 IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Biomedical Conference (IMBioC), 1-3, Nanjing, China, 2019.
8. Makimoto, M., K. Kikuchi, and S. Yamashita, "Compact TV channel filters in the UHF band," IEEE Transactions on Cable Television, Vol. CATV-5, No. 4, 164-168, 1980. doi:10.1109/TCATV.1980.285820
9. Orellana, M., et al. "Design of capacitively loaded coupled-line bandpass filters with compact size and spurious suppression," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 65, No. 4, 1235-1248, April 2017. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2016.2638843
10. Lee, S. and Y. Lee, "Generalized miniaturization method for coupled-line bandpass filters by reactive loading," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 58, No. 9, 2383-2391, September 2010. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2010.2058281
11. Wang, C., Z. Wang, and Y. M. Huang, "Size-miniaturized half-mode substrate integrated waveguide bandpass filter incorporating E-shaped defected ground structure for wideband communication and radar applications," 2018 20th International Conference on Advanced Communication Technology (ICACT), 12-16, Chuncheon, Korea (South), 2018.
12. Peng, B., et al. "Compact quad-mode bandpass filter based on quad-mode DGS resonator," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 26, No. 4, 234-236, April 2016. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2016.2537053
13. Luo, C., et al. "Quasi-reflectionless microstrip bandpass filters using bandstop filter for out-of-band improvement," IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems II: Express Briefs, Vol. 67, No. 10, 1849-1853, October 2020. doi:10.1109/TCSII.2019.2946915
14. Liu, H., et al. "High-temperature superconducting bandpass filter using asymmetric steppedimpedance resonators with wide-stopband performance," IEEE Transactions on Applied Superconductivity, Vol. 25, No. 5, 1-6, Oct. 2015. doi:10.1109/TASC.2015.2456106
15. Chen, C., "A coupled-line coupling structure for the design of quasi-elliptic bandpass filters," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 66, No. 4, 1921-1925, April 2018. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2017.2783378
16. Tang, C. and M. Chen, "Wide stopband parallel-coupled stacked SIRs bandpass filters with open-stub lines," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 16, No. 12, 666-668, December 2006. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2006.885620
17. Maharjan, R. K., et al. "Miniature stubs-loaded square open-loop bandpass fliter with asymmetrical feeders," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 55, No. 2, 329-332, February 2013. doi:10.1002/mop.27318
18. Sheikhi, A., A. Alipour, and A. Mir, "Design and fabrication of an ultra-wide stopband compact bandpass filter," IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems II: Express Briefs, Vol. 67, No. 2, 265-269, February 2020. doi:10.1109/TCSII.2019.2907177
19. Das, et al., "2nd harmonic suppression in parallel-coupled microstrip bandpass filter by using Koch fractals," 2016 IEEE Annual India Conference (INDICON), 1-6, Bangalore, India, 2016.
20. Luo, C., et al. "A wide stopband wideband HTS filter using stepped-impedance resonators with an interdigital capacitor structure," IEEE Transactions on Applied Superconductivity, Vol. 30, No. 2, 1-5, March 2020. doi:10.1109/TASC.2019.2957164
21. Han, C., Y. Rao, H. J. Qian, and X. Luo, "High-selectivity bandpass filter with wide upper stopband using harmonic suppression structure," 2019 IEEE International Symposium on Radio-Frequency Integration Technology (RFIT), 1-3, Nanjing, China, 2019.
22. Ieu, W., D. Zhou, D. Zhang, et al. "Compact dual-mode dual-band HMSIW bandpass filters using source-load coupling with multiple transmission zeros," Electronics Letters, Vol. 55, No. 4, 210-222, 2019. doi:10.1049/el.2018.7694