This paper shows a dual-band frequency and pattern reconfigurable antenna. The proposed antenna is designed on an FR4 substrate of thickness 1.6 mm and size 25×15 mm2. Depending on the ON/OFF states of the PIN diode, the proposed antenna resonates at two distinct frequencies, i.e., 3.5 GHz, and 5.2 GHz, and has a pattern tilt from -170˚ to +160˚ in yz plane. In HFSS simulation, lumped RLC elements are used to reconfigure the antenna frequency and pattern. For switching, the PIN diode is used for frequency and pattern reconfiguration in the fabricated antenna to verify the simulated performance. In the simulated and measured performance, the proposed antenna shows reasonable matching. The proposed antenna is suitable for WiMAX and WLAN applications.
"I-Shaped Frequency and Pattern Reconfigurable Antenna for WiMAX
and WLAN Applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters,
Vol. 97, 149-156, 2021. doi:10.2528/PIERL21021903
1. Danesh, S., S. K. A. Rahim, M. Abedian, M. Khalily, and M. R. Hamid, "Frequency-reconfigurable rectangular dielectric resonator antenna," IEEE Antenna Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 12, 1331-1334, 2013. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2013.2285649
2. Majid, H. A., M. K. A. Rahim, M. R. Hamid, and M. F. Ismail, "Frequency and pattern reconfigurable slot antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. , –, , Vol. 62, 5339-5343, 2014. doi:10.1109/TAP.2014.2342237
3. Osman, M. N., M. K. A. Rahim, M. R. Hamid, M. F. M. Yusoff, and H. A. Majid, "A reconfigurable circular patch antenna with switchable slits for polarization diversity," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 56, 2587-2590, 2014. doi:10.1002/mop.28653
4. Pyo, S., N. Kim, and J. M. Kim, "Reconfigurable microstrip annular ring antenna for circular polarization diversity," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 56, 1706-1709, 2014. doi:10.1002/mop.28426
5. Choukiker, Y. K. and S. K. Behera, "Wideband frequency reconfigurable Koch snowflake fractal antenna," ” IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 3, No. 1, 203-208, 2016.
6. Reddy, V. V. and N. V. S. N. Sarma, "Circularly polarized frequency reconfigurable Koch antenna for GSM/WI-FI applications," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 57, No. 12, 2895-2898, 2015. doi:10.1002/mop.29463
7. Nguyen-Trong, N., A. Piotrowski, and C. Fumeaux, "A frequency-reconfigurable dual-band low profile monopolar antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 65, No. 7, 3336-3343, Jul. 2017. doi:10.1109/TAP.2017.2702664
8. Nikolaou, S., B. Kim, and P. Vryonides, "Reconfiguring antenna characteristics using PIN diodes," 2009 EuCAP 2009 3rd European conference on Antennas and Propagation, 3748-52, IEEE, 2009.
9. Thanki, P. and F. Raval, "S shaped hexaband frequency reconfigurable antenna," International Journal of Sensors, Wireless Communications and Control, Vol. 11, No. 3, 293-303, 2021.
10. Donelli, M. and P. Febvre, "An inexpensive reconfigurable planar array for Wi-Fi applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 28, 71-81, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIERC12012304
11. Donelli, M., T. Moriyama, and M. Manekiya, "A compact switched-beam planar antenna array for wireless sensors operating at Wi-Fi band," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 83, 137-145, 2018. doi:10.2528/PIERC18012004
12. Rocca, P., M. Donelli, G. Oliveri, F. Viani, and A. Massa, "Reconfigurable sum-difference pattern by means of parasitic elements for forward-looking monopulse radar," IET Radar, Sonar and Navigation, Vol. 7, No. 7, 747-754, 2013. doi:10.1049/iet-rsn.2012.0300
13. Azaro, R., G. Boato, M. Donelli, A. Massa, and E. Zeni, "Design of a prefractal monopolar antenna for 3.4–3.6 GHz Wi-Max band portable devices," IEEE Antenna Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 5, No. 4, 116-119, 2006. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2006.872427
14. Selvam, Y. P., L. Elumalai, M. G. N. Alsath, M. Kanagasabai, S. Subbaraj, and S. Kingsly, "Novel Frequency- and pattern-reconfigurable rhombic patch antenna with switchable polarization," IEEE Antenna Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 16, 1639-1642, 2017. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2017.2660069
15. Majid, H. A., M. K. A. Rahim, M. R. Hamid, and M. F. Ismail, "Frequency and pattern reconfigurable slot antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 62, No. 10, 5339-5343, 2014. doi:10.1109/TAP.2014.2342237
16. Li, P. K., Z. H. Shao, Q. Wang, and Y. J. Cheng, "Frequency and pattern-reconfigurable antenna for multi standard wireless applications," IEEE Antenna Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 14, 333-336, 2015. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2014.2359196
17. Ramli, N., M. T. Ali, M. T. Islam, A. L. Yusof, and S. Muhamud-Kayat, "Aperture-coupled frequency and patterns reconfigurable microstrip stacked array antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 63, No. 3, 1067-1074, 2015. doi:10.1109/TAP.2015.2388781
18. Guo, T., W. Leng, A. Wang, J. Li, and Q. Zhang, "A novel planar parasitic array antenna with frequency and pattern reconfigurable characteristics," IEEE Antenna Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 13, 1569-1572, 2014. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2014.2345776
19. Thanki, P. and F. Raval, "Fork-shaped frequency and pattern reconfigurable antenna," International Journal of Communication Systems, Vol. 33, No. 17, Oct. 2020.
20. Zhu, Z., P. Wang, S. You, and P. Gao, "A flexible frequency and pattern reconfigurable antenna for wireless systems," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 76, 63-70, 2018. doi:10.2528/PIERL18040401
21. Zainarry, S. N. M., N. Nguyen-Trong, and C. Fumeaux, "A frequency and pattern reconfigurable two-element array antenna," IEEE Antenna Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 17, 617-620, 2018. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2018.2806355
22. Dewan, R., M. K. Abd Rahim, M. R. Hamid, M. Himdi, H. B. A. Majid, and N. A. Samsuri, "HIS-EBG unit cells for pattern and frequency reconfigurable dual band array antenna," Progress In Electromagnetic Research M, Vol. 76, 123-132, 2018. doi:10.2528/PIERM18090202
23. Han, L., C. Wang, W. Zhang, R. Ma, and Q. Zeng, "Design of frequency-and patternreconfigurable wideband slot antenna," International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, 2018.
24. Balanis, C. A., Antenna Theory, Analysis and Design, 2nd Ed., J. Wiley & Sons, New York, USA, 1997.