In this paper, a low-profile flexible antenna using a flexible substrate is presented. The proposed antenna has concentric circle-shaped radiating elements with circular slots to achieve an ISM band. The flexible antenna having dimensions (33 mm x 18 mm x 2 mm) is designed and fabricated on a silicon rubber-based substrate, and measurements were performed to validate the simulation results. The measured and simulated results demonstrate that the antenna radiates at 2.45 GHz center frequency, with a return loss of -24.54. The operating frequency of 2.45 GHz, flexible substrate, and low SAR of 0.0658 W/Kg confirm that the proposed antenna is suitable for medical telemetry applications.
Navin M. George,
Thomas Anita Jones Mary Pushpa,
"Durable Silicon Rubber-Based Miniaturized Antenna with Concentric Circle Structure for a Medical Telemetry Application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M,
Vol. 107, 155-165, 2022. doi:10.2528/PIERM21102506
1. Islam, M. S., M. I. Ibrahimy, S. M. A. Motakabber, A. Z. Hossain, and S. K. Azam, "Microstrip patch antenna with defected ground structure for biomedical application," Bulletin of Electrical Engineering and Informatics, Vol. 8, No. 2, 586-595, 2019. doi:10.11591/eei.v8i2.1495
2. Sukhija, S. and R. K. Sarin, "A U-shaped meandered slot antenna for biomedical applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 62, 65-77, 2017. doi:10.2528/PIERM17082101
3. Kumar, S. A., M. A. Raj, and T. Shanmuganantham, "Analysis and design of CPW fed antenna at ISM band for biomedical applications," Alexandria Engineering Journal, Vol. 57, No. 2, 723-727, 2018. doi:10.1016/j.aej.2017.02.008
4. Das, G. K., S. Basu, B. Mandal, D. Mitra, R. Augustine, and M. Mitra, "Gain-enhancement technique for wearable patch antenna using grounded metamaterial," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 14, No. 15, 2045-2052, 2020. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2020.0083
5. Simorangkir, R. B., A. Kiourti, and K. P. Esselle, "UWB wearable antenna with a full ground plane based on PDMS-embedded conductive fabric," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 17, No. 3, 493-496, 2018. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2018.2797251
6. Smida, A., A. Iqbal, A. J. Alazemi, M. I. Waly, R. Ghayoula, and S. Kim, "Wideband wearable antenna for biomedical telemetry applications," IEEE Access, Vol. 8, 15687-15694, 2020. doi:10.1109/ACCESS.2020.2967413
7. Naik, K. K., S. C. S. Teja, B. V. Sailaja, and P. A. Sri, "Design of flexible parasitic element patch antenna for biomedical application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 94, 143-153, 2020. doi:10.2528/PIERM20030406
8. Zhang, J., et al. "Flexible graphene-assembled film-based antenna for wireless wearable sensor with miniaturized size and high sensitivity," ACS Omega, Vol. 5, No. 22, 12937-12943, American Chemical Society (ACS), May 30, 2020. doi:10.1021/acsomega.0c00263
9. Kanagasabai, M., P. Sambandam, M. G. N. Alsath, S. Palaniswamy, A. Ravichandran, and C. Girinathan, "Miniaturized circularly polarized UWB antenna for body centric communication," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 7, No. 1, 189-196, 2022. doi:10.1109/TAP.2021.3098517
10. Vummadisetty, P. N. and A. Kumar, "Multi feed multi band uniplanar ACS fed antenna with N shape and inverted L shape radiating branches for wireless applications," Microsystem Technologies, Vol. 24, No. 4, 1863-1873, 2018. doi:10.1007/s00542-017-3565-8
11. Gunamony, S. L. and J. B. Gnanadhas, "Design and investigations of miniaturized dual-band quarter concentric circular ring antenna for LTE and 5G applications," Arabian Journal for Science and Engineering, 1-10, 2021.
12. Ameen, M., R. Chowdhury, and R. K. Chaudhary, "ACS-fed electrically small metamaterial inspired dual polarized antenna enabled with staircase radiating strips for UMTS/WiMAX/WLAN applications," 2019 PhotonIcs & Electromagnetics Research Symposium - Spring (PIERS - Spring), 587-594, Rome, Italy, June 17-20, 2019.
13. Naidu, P. V., A. Kumar, and R. Rengasamy, "Uniplanar ACS fed multiband high-gain antenna with extended rectangular strips for portable system applications," International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer-Aided Engineering, Vol. 29, No. 10, e21870, 2019. doi:10.1002/mmce.21870
14. Dastranj, A., F. Ranjbar, and M. Bornapour, "A new compact circular shape fractal antenna for broadband wireless communication applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 93, 19-28, 2019. doi:10.2528/PIERC19031001
15. Singh, V., B. Mishra, A. K. Dwivedi, and R. Singh, "Inverted L-notch loaded hexa band circular patch antenna for X, Ku/K band applications," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 60, No. 8, 2081-2088, 2018. doi:10.1002/mop.31296
16. Ujwal Prakash, A. J., S. Merlin Gilbert Raj, and P. K. Mathew, "Performance analysis of U-slot and Y-slot patch antenna for wireless applications," 2014 International Conference on Electronics and Communication Systems (ICECS), 1-4, February 2014.
17. Naik, K. K. and P. A. V. Sri, "Design of hexadecagon circular patch antenna with DGS at Ku band for satellite communications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 63, 163-173, 2018. doi:10.2528/PIERM17092205
18. Mohamed, A. E., M. S. Sharawi, and A. Muqaibel, "Implanted dual-band circular antenna for biomedical applications," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 60, No. 5, 1125-1132, 2018. doi:10.1002/mop.31128
19. Garg, R., P. Bhartia, I. Bahl, and A. Ittipiboon, Micrstrip Antenna Design Hand Book, Artech House, Norwood, MA, USA, 2001.