Complex reservoirs such as fresh-water formations and water-flooded reservoirs developed by water injection have complex electrical characteristics owing to the influence of formation water salinity. It is difficult to accurately evaluate and identify the fluid in such complex reservoirs by using the conventional resistivity method. However, the water salinity of the formation has a reduced effect on its dielectric constant; therefore, dielectric logging technology can be used to effectively identify fresh-water formation and evaluate the water-flooding level of the water-flooded layer. The accuracy of the formation response inversion charts of dielectric logging instruments is important for accurately evaluating fluids in complex reservoirs when these instruments are used. This study proposes a full-wave simulation method based on Maxwell's equations and the engineering parameters value of the dielectric logging instrument. The formation response conversion charts of the dielectric logging instrumentare accurately calculated and can be used in practical logging; the simulation results are compared with those obtained using an equivalent magnetic dipole model; Based on the accurate simulation of the formation response of the dielectric logging instrument, a high-frequency dielectric logging instrumentis developed, and it is applied to the fresh-water formation and water-flooded layer in the Nanyang and Ordos Basins.
"Numerical Simulation and Application of Response Characteristics of High-Frequency Dielectric Logging Instrument," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M,
Vol. 107, 1-12, 2022. doi:10.2528/PIERM21111603
1. Freedman, R. and J. P. Vogiatzis, "Theory of microwave dielectric constant logging using the electromagnetic wave propagation method," Geophysics, Vol. 44, No. 5, 969-986, 1979. doi:10.1190/1.1440989
2. Blenkinsop, M., P. Baker, C. Clavier, W. Kenyon, and S. des Listerine, "Deep electromagnetic propagation tool interpretation," SPWLA 27th Annual Logging Symposium, SPWLA-1986-XX, June 9-13, 1986.
3. Rau, R., R. Davies, M. Finke, and M. Manning, "Advance in high frequency dielectric logging," SPWLA 32nd Annual Logging Symposium, SPWLA-1991-S, June 16-19, 1991.
4. Song, Y. L., G. H. Chen, and M. C. Chang, "Study and application of electromagnetic logging in Daqing oilfield," Petroleum Geological Development in Daqing, Vol. 16, No. 4, 1997.
5. Clark, B., M. G. Liiling, J. Jundt, M. Ross, and D. Best, "A dual depth resistivity measurement for FEWD," SPWLA 29th Annual Logging Symposium, SPWLA-1988-A, June 5-8, 1988.
6. Clark, B., D. F. Allen, D. L. Best, et al. "Electromagnetic propagation logging while drilling: Theory and experiment," SPE Formation Evaluation, Vol. 5, No. 3, 263-271, SPE-18117-PA, 1990. doi:10.2118/18117-PA
7. Coope, D., L. C. Shen, and F. S. C. Huang, "The theory of 2 MHz resistivity tool and its application to measurement-while-drilling," The Log Analyst, Vol. 25, No. 3, 1-11, 1984.
8. Yang, J., D. Omeragic, and C. B. Liu, "Bed-boundary effect removal to aid formation resistivity interpretation from LWD propagation measurements at all dip angles," SPWLA 46th Annual Logging Symposium, SPWLA-2005-F, 2005.
9. Schlumberger Technology Corp., "New technology and application of dielectric logging," New Technology of Oilfield, Vol. 23, No. 1, 2011.
11. Norbisrath, J. H., "Statoil (aka Equinor), Dielectric permeability logging," SPWLA 59th Annual Logging Symposium, SPWLA-2018-J, June 2-6, 2018.
12. Bondarenko, A., V. Dorovsky, Yu. Perepechko, and N. Velker, "Dielectric permittivity dispersion measurements in downhole conditions - Effect on porosity measurements," SPE Russian Petroleum Technology Conference, SPE-176603-MS, Moscow, Russia, October 26-28, 2015.
13. Xing, G., H. Wang, and Z. Ding, "Adaptive dual-parameter deconvolution for high-frequency electromagnetic-wave logging," IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 48, No. 12, 4178-4183, 2010. doi:10.1109/TGRS.2010.2051552
14. Liu, S. X. and M. T. Y. K. Sato, "Numerical and experimental study on multi-frequency electromagnetic well logging," Well Logging Technology, 278-282, 2003.
15. Kang, G. J., D. B. Fang, and S. F. Zhao, "Experiment method and technique physical modeling of multi-frequent electromagnetic logging," Journal of Jilin University (Earth Science Edition), Vol. 32, No. 4, 382-385, 2002.
16. Ph. Poley, J., J. J. Nooteboom, and P. J. de Waal, "Use of VHF dielectric measurements for borehole formation analysis," Log Analyst, Vol. 19, No. 3, 8-30, 1978.
17. Glinskikh, V. N., M. N. Nikitenko, and M. I. Epov, "Processing high-frequency electromagnetic logs from conducting formations: Linearized 2D forward and inverse solutions with regard to eddy currents," Russian Geology and Geophysics, Vol. 54, 1515-1521, 2013. doi:10.1016/j.rgg.2013.10.016
18. Chew, W. C., "Modeling of the dielectric logging tool at high frequencies: Theory," IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 26, No. 4, 382-387, 1988. doi:10.1109/36.3041
19. Dunn, J. M., "Lateral wave propagation in a three-layered medium," Radio Science, Vol. 21, 787-796, 1986. doi:10.1029/RS021i005p00787
20. Weilan, T., "Time domain electromagnetic field computation with finite difference methods," International Journal of Numerical Modeling: Electronic Networks, Devices and Fields, Vol. 9, 293-319, 1996.
21. Graves, R., "Simulating seismic wave propagation in 3D elastic media using staggered-grid finite differences," Bulletin of the Seismological Society of America, Vol. 86, No. 4, 1091-1106, 1996.
22. Hirtenfelder, F., T. Lopetegi, M. Sorolla, and L. Sassi, "Designing components containing photonic bandgap structures using time domain field solvers," Microwave Engineering, 23-29, 2002.
23. Chieslar, J. D., "A meshing technique for large scale modeling of solution mines in salt and potash," The 55th US Rock Mechanics/Geomechanics Symposium, Houston, Texas, USA, June 20-23, 2021.
24. Guo, H., H. Zhang, and G. Li, "Prediction of water saturation for tight sandstone reservoirs by using array dielectric logging ADL," The SPE Gas & Oil Technology Showcase and Conference, Dubai, UAE, October 21-23, 2019.
25. Li, C., S. Deng, Z. Li, Y. Fan, J. Zhang, and J. Yang, "Application of high-frequency dielectric logging technology for shale oil production," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 100, 53-61, 2021. doi:10.2528/PIERL21081403