This paper outlines the design characterization and the electromagnetic performance of a millimeter-wave high power combining structure, which exploits the spatial power combination technique. The input matching is always below 10 dB over the entire Q band, and the overall weight of the structure is about 500 g. Multiphysics simulations show how this structure is suitable for the most challenging space missions that will arise in next few years. In fact, 100 W of RF power above the frequency of 40 GHz can be delivered while all the specifications for satellite payloads are complied. Other Spatial Power Combiner structures, such as Radial ones, cannot be implemented in space missions since they are much less compact and much heavier than the one presented in this article, and this is the major advantage of this configuration which was specially designed for a space project.
1. Passi, D., A. Leggieri, F. Di Paolo, A. Tafuto, and M. Bartocci, "Spatial power combiner technology," PIERS Proceedings, 932-938, Prague, Czech Republic, July 6-9, 2015.
2. Passi, D., A. Leggieri, A. Mattioni, F. Di Paolo, M. D'Antoni, M. Bartocci, E. Ciacia, and A. Tafuto, "Small size, high power density, solid state amplifiers for space application," 2018 International Symposium on Networks, Computers and Communications (ISNCC), 1-5, 2018, doi: 10.1109/ISNCC.2018.8531030.
3. Yin, K., K. Zhang, and J. Xu, "Characterization and design of millimeter-wave full-band waveguide-based spatial power divider/combiner," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 50, 65-74, 2014.
4. Kang, Z.-Y., Q.-X. Chu, and Q. S. Wu, "A compact Ka-band broadband waveguide-based traveling-wave spatial power combiner with low loss symmetric coupling structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 36, 181-190, 2013.
5. Passi, D., et al., "Innovative transition for wideband spatial combiners," 2018 International Workshop on Integrated Nonlinear Microwave and Millimetre-wave Circuits (INMMIC), 1-3, 2018, doi: 10.1109/INMMIC.2018.8430013.
6. Leggieri, A., D. Passi, G. Saggio, and F. Di Paolo, "Multiphysics design of a spatial combiner predisposed for thermo-mechanically affected operation," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 28, No. 17, 2153-2168, 2014.
7. Leggieri, A., D. Passi, G. Saggio, and F. di Paolo, "Global design of a waveguide X-band power amplifier," Int. J. Simul. Syst. Sci. Technol., Vol. 15, No. 4, 2014, doi: 10.5013/IJSSST.a.15.04.09.
8. Passi, D., A. Leggieri, F. Di Paolo, M. Bartocci, and A. Tafuto, "Design of high power density amplifiers: Application to Ka band," J. Infrared, Millimeter, Terahertz Waves, Vol. 38, No. 10, 1252-1263, 2017, doi: 10.1007/s10762-017-0402-1.
9. Leggieri, A., D. Passi, and F. Di Paolo, "The squarax amplifier: An electromagnetic and thermo-mechanical innovation," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Symposium Proceedings, 2273-2280, Guangzhou, China, August 25-28, 2014.
10. Leggieri, A., G. Orengo, D. Passi, and F. Di Paolo, "The squarax spatial power combiner," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 45, 43-55, 2013.
11. Passi, D., A. Leggieri, F. Di Paolo, M. Bartocci, A. Tafuto, and A. Manna, "High efficiency Ka-band spatial combiner," Adv. Electromagn., Vol. 3, No. 2, 2014, doi: 10.7716/aem.v3i2.267.
12. Leggieri, A., D. Passi, F. Di Paolo, M. Bartocci, A. Tafuto, and A. Manna, "A novel Ka-band spatial combiner amplifier: Global design and modeling," PIERS Proceedings, 840-845, Prague, Czech Republic, July 6-9, 2015.
13. Valletti, L., S. Fantauzzi, M. Bartocci, P. Bia, A. Manna, P. Livreri, F. Di Paolo, and E. Limiti, "Vircator technologies comparison and novel anode analysis," 2021 PhotonIcs & Electromagnetics Research Symposium (PIERS), 2781-2789, Hangzhou, China, November 22, 2021.
14. Passi, D., A. Leggieri, R. Citroni, and F. Di Paolo, "Broadband TE10 to TE20 mode transformer for X band," Adv. Electromagn., Vol. 5, No. 3, 2016, doi: 10.7716/aem.v5i3.419.
15. Passi, D., A. Leggieri, R. Citroni, and F. Di Paolo, "New six-way waveguide to microstrip transition applied in X band spatial power combiner," Adv. Electromagn., Vol. 6, No. 4, 2017, doi: 10.7716/aem.v6i4.421.
16. Yin, K., J. P. Xu, and Z. H. Chen, "A full Ka-band waveguide-based spatial power-combining amplifier using E-plane anti-phase probes,", State Key Lab. of Millimeter-waves, Southeast University, Nanjing, Jiangsu, 2014.
17. Zhou, Y.-H., J.-Y. Li, B. Zhao, and H.-Y. Wang, "A Ka-band power amplifier based on double-probe microstrip to waveguide transition," PIERS Proceedings, 1521-1525, Xi'an, China, March 22-26, 2010.
18. Fantauzzi, S., L. Valletti, and F. Di Paolo, "Virtual prototype of innovative Ka-band power amplifier based on waveguide polarizer," Adv. Electromagn., Vol. 9, No. 2, 60-65, 2020, doi: 10.7716/aem.v9i2.1497.
19. Khan, P., L. Epp, and A. Silva, "A Ka-band wide-bandgap solid-state power amplifier: Architecture performance estimates," The Interplanetary Network Progress Report, Vol. 42-163, 1-17, November 2005.
20. Lee, S. H., D. H. Lee, and J. H. Chang, "X-band 1 kW SSPA using 20-way hybrid radial combiner for accelerator," 2016 Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference (APMC), 1-4, 2016, doi: 10.1109/APMC.2016.7931274.
21. Kazemi, R., G. Hegazi, and A. E. Fathy, "X-band all-waveguide radial combiner for high power applications," 2015 IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium, 1-4, 2015, doi: 10.1109/MWSYM.2015.7166748.
22. Denoual, J. M., A. Peden, B. Della, and J.-P. Fraysse, "16-way radial divider/combiner for solid state power amplifiers in the K band," 2008 38th European Microwave Conference, 345-348, 2008, doi: 10.1109/EUMC.2008.4751459.
23. Zhai, G. and B. Shi, "Compact low loss millimeter wave 8-way radial waveguide power combiner," TENCON 2017 - 2017 IEEE Region 10 Conference, 1598-1601, 2017, doi: 10.1109/TENCON.2017.8228112.
24. Sarhan, A. A., N. Ghadimi, E. Hamidi, and H. Oraizi, "Broadband radial waveguide power combiner with improved isolation among adjacent output ports," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 51, 63-70, 2014.
25. Bhat, B. and S. K. Koul, Analysis, Design and Applications of Fin Lines, Artech House, 1987.
28. Di Paolo, F., Networks and Devices Using Planar Transmission Lines, CRC Press, 2000.
29. Xu, J., Y. Cui, C. Qian, and W. Li, "A Ka-band power-combined amplifier based on a six-way quasi-planar power divider/combiner," 2015 Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference (APMC), 1-3, 2015, doi: 10.1109/APMC.2015.7411821.
30. An, D., X. Li, J. Mou, and X. Lv, "A new type of Ka-band waveguide-based power-combining structures," 2008 International Conference on Microwave and Millimeter Wave Technology, 347-350, 2008, doi: 10.1109/ICMMT.2008.4540383.
31. Yin, K., "Millimeter wave power-combined amplifier using traveling-wave power divider-combiner," 2015 Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference (APMC), 1-3, 2015, doi: 10.1109/APMC.2015.7413379.
32. Xu, J., Z. Xu, J. Guo, H. C. Zhang, C. Qian, and D. Zhao, "Design of a Q-band six-way spatial power combining structure," 2018 IEEE MTT-S International Wireless Symposium (IWS), 1-3, 2018, doi: 10.1109/IEEE-IWS.2018.8400955.