In this paper, we present an efficient numerical method to calculate the frequency and time responses of the field scattered by an object buried between two random rough surfaces for a 2-D problem. This method is called Generalized PILE (GPILE) method because it extends the PILE method which considers only two surfaces or an object buried under a surface. The GPILE method solves the Maxwell equations rigourously by using a simple matrix formulation. The obtained results have a straightforward physical interpretation and allow us to investigate the influence of the object buried between the two rough surfaces. We distinguish the primary echo of the upper surface, the multiple echoes coming from the lower surface and those arising from the object. The GPILE method is applied to simulate the Ground Penetrating Radar (GPR) signal at nadir. The resulting time response helps the user to detect the presence of the object buried between the two random rough surfaces.
1. Jin, J., The Finite Element Method in Electromagnetics, John Wiley and Sons, 1993.
2. Volakis, J. L., A. Chatterjee, and L. C. Kempel, Finite Element Method for Electromagnetics, IEEE Press, 1998. doi:10.1109/9780470544655
3. Yee, K. S., "Numerical solution of initial boundary value problems involving Maxwell equations in isotropic media," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 14, No. 3, 302-307, 1966. doi:10.1109/TAP.1966.1138693
4. Cole, J. B. and S. Banerjee, Computing the Flow of Light: Nonstandard FDTD Methodologies for Photonics Design, SPIE Press Book, 2017. doi:10.1117/3.2250614
5. Harrington, F., Field Computation by Moment Methods, Macmillan, New York, 1968.
6. Bourlier, C., N. Pinel, and G. Kubické, Method of Moments for 2-D Scattering Problems. Basic Concepts and Applications, ser. Focus Series in Waves, Wiley, Hoboken, NJ, USA, 2013. doi:10.1002/9781118648674
7. Kapp, D. A. and G. S. Brown, "A new numerical method for rough-surface scattering calculations," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 44, 711-722, 1996. doi:10.1109/8.496258
8. Holliday, D., L. L. DeRaad, Jr., and G. J. St-Cyr, "Forward-backward: A new method for computing low-grazing angle scattering," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 44, 1199-1206, 1995. doi:10.1109/8.475091
9. Iodice, A., "Forward-backward method for scattering from dielectric rough surfaces," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 50, 901-911, 2002. doi:10.1109/TAP.2002.800700
10. Chou, H. T. and J. T. Johnson, "A novel acceleration algorithm for the computation of scattering from rough surfaces with the forward-backward method," Radio Sci., Vol. 33, 1277-1287, 1998. doi:10.1029/98RS01888
11. Tsang, L., C. H. Chang, and H. Sangani, "A banded matrix iterative approach to Monte Carlo simulations of scattering of waves by large scale random rough surface problems: TM case," Electron. Lett., Vol. 29, 1666-1667, 1993.
12. Tsang, L., C. H. Chang, H. Sangani, A. Ishimaru, and P. Phu, "A banded matrix iterative approach to Monte Carlo simulations of large scale random rough surface scattering: TE case," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 7, No. 9, 1185-1200, 2012. doi:10.1163/156939393X00200
13. Tsang, L., C. H. Chan, K. Pak, and H. Sangani, "Monte-Carlo simulations of large-scale problems of random rough surface scattering and applications to grazing incidence with the BMIA/canonical grid method," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 43, 851-859, 1995. doi:10.1109/8.402205
14. Kuo, C.-H. and M. Moghaddam, "Scattering from multilayer rough surfaces based on the extended boundary condition method and truncated singular value decomposition," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 54, No. 10, 2917-2929, 2006. doi:10.1109/TAP.2006.882160
15. Moss, C. D., T. M. Grzegorczyk, H. C. Han, and J. A. Kong, "Forward backward method with spectral acceleration for scattering from layered rough surfaces," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 54, No. 3, 1006-1016, 2006. doi:10.1109/TAP.2006.869921
16. El-Shenawee, M., "Polarimetric scattering from two-layered two-dimensional random rough surfaces with and without buried objects," IEEE Trans. Geoscience, and Remote Sensing, Vol. 42, No. 1, 67-76, 2004. doi:10.1109/TGRS.2003.815675
17. Déchamps, N., N. De Beaucoudrey, C. Bourlier, and S. Toutain, "Fast numerical method for electromagnetic scattering by rough layered interfaces: Propagation-inside-layer expansion method," J. Opt. Soc. Am. A, Vol. 23, No. 2, 359-369, 2006. doi:10.1364/JOSAA.23.000359
18. Déchamps, N. and C. Bourlier, "Electromagnetic scattering from a rough layer: Propagation-inside-layer expansion method combined to an updated BMIA/CAG approach," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 55, 2790-2802, 2007. doi:10.1109/TAP.2007.905940
19. Déchamps, N. and C. Bourlier, "Electromagnetic scattering from a rough layer: Propagation-inside-layer expansion method combined to the forward-backward novel spectral acceleration," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 55, 3576-3586, 2007. doi:10.1109/TAP.2007.910360
20. Bourlier, C., G. Kubické, and N. Déchamps, "A fast method to compute scattering by a buried object under a randomly rough surface: PILE combined to FB-SA," J. Opt. Soc. Am. A, Vol. 25, 891-902, 2008. doi:10.1364/JOSAA.25.000891
21. Kubické, G., C. Bourlier, and J. Saillard, "Scattering by an object above a randomly rough surface from a fast numerical method: Extended PILE method combined to FB-SA," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 18, No. 03, 495-519, 2008.
22. Bourlier, C., C. Le Bastard, and V. Baltazart, "Generalization of PILE method to the EM scattering from stratified subsurface with rough interlayers: Application to the detection of debondings within pavement structure," IEEE Trans. Geoscience, and Remote Sensing, Vol. 53, No. 7, July 2015.
23. Thorsos, E. I., "The validity of the Kirchhoff approximation for rough surface scattering using a Gaussian roughness spectrum," J. Acoust. Soc. Am., Vol. 83, 78-92, 1988. doi:10.1121/1.396188
24. Press, W. H., S. A. Teukolsky, W. T. Vetterling, and B. P. Flannery, Numerical Recipes, 2nd Ed., Cambridge University Press, 1992.
25. Bourlier, C., C. Le Bastard, and N. Pinel, "Full wave PILE method for the electromagnetic scattering from random rough layer," Proc. GPR Int. Conf. Ground Penetrating Radar, 545-551, 2014. doi:10.1109/ICGPR.2014.6970483