The integration of radar and communication has always been one of the cross-research hotspots in the field of radar and communication. In order to solve the problems of integration signal separation and the angle-distance coupling, this paper proposes a radar and communication integrated waveform based on random Orthogonal Frequency Division Multiplexing (OFDM) frequency offset modulation for Frequency Diversity Array (FDA). This waveform directly loads OFDM symbols to the elements of FDA, and each element carries a complete OFDM symbol with different information. Random frequency offsets are added between the elements to separate different signal of different elements, which can solve the problem of signal separation and form decoupled radar beam. After transmitting and receiving a series of the waveform, the transmission of communication data and the positioning of radar targets can be completed at the same time. The simulation results show that the waveform not only solves the problem of separating and uncoupling the integrated signal, but also improves the frequency band utilization rate and information transmission rate of the radar communication integrated system.
"Integrated Waveform of Frequency Diversity Array Radar Communication Based on OFDM Random Frequency Offset Modulation," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M,
Vol. 110, 145-156, 2022. doi:10.2528/PIERM22032602
1. Ma, D., N. Shlezinger, T. Huang, Y. Shavit, M. Namer, Y. Liu, and Y. C. Eldar, "Spatial modulation for joint radar-communications systems: Design, analysis, and hardware prototype," IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, Vol. 70, No. 3, 2283-2298, 2021. doi:10.1109/TVT.2021.3056408
2. He, Q., Z. Wang, J. Hu, and R. S. Blum, "Performance gains from cooperative MIMO radar and MIMO communication systems," IEEE Signal Processing Letters, Vol. 26, No. 1, 194-198, 2019. doi:10.1109/LSP.2018.2880836
3. Cao, N., Y. Chen, X. Gu, and W. Feng, "Joint bi-static radar and communications designs for intelligent transportation," IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, Vol. 69, No. 10, 13060-13071, 2020. doi:10.1109/TVT.2020.3020218
4. Liu, X., T. Huang, N. Shlezinger, Y. Liu, J. Zhou, and Y. C. Eldar, "Joint transmit beamforming for multiuser MIMO communications and MIMO radar," IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, Vol. 68, 3929-3944, 2020. doi:10.1109/TSP.2020.3004739
5. Chen, X. B., Z. P. Liu, Y. M. Liu, and Z. W. Wang, "Energy leakage analysis of the radar and communication integrated waveform," IET Signal Processing, Vol. 12, No. 3, 375-382, 2018. doi:10.1049/iet-spr.2017.0248
6. Farhang-Boroujeny, B., "OFDM versus filter bank multicarrier," IEEE Signal Processing Magazine, Vol. 28, No. 3, 92-112, 2011. doi:10.1109/MSP.2011.940267
7. Nusenu, S. Y., H. Chen, and W. Q. Wang, "OFDM chirp radar for adaptive target detection in low grazing angle," IET Signal Processing, Vol. 12, No. 5, 613-619, 2018. doi:10.1049/iet-spr.2017.0329
8. Li, M. J., W. Q. Wang, and Z. Zheng, "Communication-embedded OFDM chirp waveform for delay-Doppler radar," IET Radar Sonar and Navigation, Vol. 12, No. 3, 353-360, 2018. doi:10.1049/iet-rsn.2017.0369
9. Zhang, Q. Z., Y. Zhou, L. R. Zhang, Y. B. Gu, and J. Zhang, "Waveform design for a dual-function radar-communication system based on CE-OFDM-PM signal," IET Radar Sonar and Navigation, Vol. 13, No. 4, 566-572, 2019. doi:10.1049/iet-rsn.2018.5260
10. Antonik, P., M. C. Wicks, H. D. Griffiths, and C. J. Baker, "Frequency diverse array radars," IEEE Conference on Radar, 215-217, New York, 2006.
11. Basit, A., W. Khan, S. Khan, and I. M. Qureshi, "Development of frequency diverse array radar technology: A review," IET Radar Sonar and Navigation, Vol. 12, No. 2, 165-175, 2018. doi:10.1049/iet-rsn.2017.0207
12. Chen, H., W. Q. Wang, and W. Wang, "Mixed targets localization using symmetric nested frequency diverse array radar," IET Signal Processing, Vol. 15, No. 1, 1-13, 2021. doi:10.1049/sil2.12009
13. Wang, W. Q., "Retrodirective frequency diverse array focusing for wireless information and power transfer," IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, Vol. 37, No. 1, 61-73, 2019. doi:10.1109/JSAC.2018.2872360
14. Hu, Y. Q., H. Chen, S. L. Ji, and W. Q.Wang, "Ambient backscatter communication with frequency diverse array for enhanced channel capacity and detection performance," IEEE Sensors Journal, Vol. 20, No. 17, 10876-10885, 2020. doi:10.1109/JSEN.2020.2993843
15. Qiu, B., L. Wang, J. Xie, Z. Zhang, Y. Wang, and M. Tao, "Multi-beam index modulation with cooperative legitimate users schemes based on frequency diverse array," IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, Vol. 69, No. 10, 11028-11041, 2020. doi:10.1109/TVT.2020.3007003
16. Ding, Y., J. Zhang, and V. Fusco, "Frequency diverse array OFDM transmitter for secure wireless communication," IET Electronics Letters, Vol. 51, No. 16, 1374-1376, 2015. doi:10.1049/el.2015.1491
17. Nusenu, S. Y. and W. Wang, "Range-dependent spatial modulation using frequency diverse array for OFDM wireless communications," IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, Vol. 67, No. 10, 10886-10895, 2018. doi:10.1109/TVT.2018.2870045
18. Huang, H. and W. Wang, "FDA-OFDM for integrated navigation, sensing, and communication systems," IEEE Aerospace and Electronic Systems Magazine, Vol. 33, No. 5-6, 34-42, 2018. doi:10.1109/MAES.2018.170109
19. Wang, J., L. Y. Chen, X. D. Liang, C. B. Ding, and K. Li, "Implementation of the OFDM chirp waveform on MIMO SAR systems," IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 53, No. 9, 5218-5228, 2015. doi:10.1109/TGRS.2015.2419271
20. Liu, Y. M., H. Ruan, L. Wang, and A. Nehorai, "The random frequency diverse array: A new antenna structure for uncoupled direction-range indication in active sensing," IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Signal Processing, Vol. 11, No. 2, 295-308, 2017. doi:10.1109/JSTSP.2016.2627183
21. Fan, C. X. and L. N. Chao, Communication Principle, 170-320, National Defense Industry Press, Beijing, 2001.