The article presents a compact size and high isolation with 2×2 MIMO, double flare horn shaped antenna for K and Ka bands of mm-wave applications. The overall size of the MIMO antenna 0.19λ×0.19λ×0.01λ mm3 at a lower frequency has been designed, simulated, fabricated and tested. The proposed MIMO antenna components are arranged parallel with identical shaped to provide a high level of inter-element isolation and 50 W micro strip line feed. The antenna covers 18.61-20.01 GHz in the K-band (18-26.5 GHz) and 21.52-33.91 GHz in the Ka-band (26.5-40 GHz) with impedance bandwidths of 7.2% and 44.5% respectively at port-1 and port-2. Maximum peak gain of 6.5 dBi & 8.1 dBi respectively at port-1 and 6.5 dBi&7.9 dBi at port-2 is observed respectively. Diversity characteristics such as envelope correlation coefficient, diversity gain, total active reflection coefficient and channel capacity loss are determined to validate the considered MIMO antenna's work qualities. The isolation of more than 35 dB indicates that the proposed structure is suitable to use a dual-port MIMO antenna. The recommended structure's investigation revealed a steady performance and a high degree of agreement between simulated and measured findings.
1. Pi, Z. and F. Khan, "An introduction to millimeter-wave mobile broadband systems," IEEE Communications Magazine, Vol. 49, No. 6, 101-107, 2011. doi:10.1109/MCOM.2011.5783993
2. Rahimian, A. and F. Mehran, "RF link budget analysis in urban propagation microcell environment for mobile radio communication systems link planning," 2011 International Conference on Wireless Communications and Signal Processing (WCSP), 1-5, IEEE, November 2011.
3. Wang, C. X., F. Haider, X. Gao, X. H. You, Y. Yang, D. Yuan, and E. Hepsaydir, "Cellular architecture and key technologies for 5G wireless communication networks," IEEE Communications Magazine, Vol. 52, No. 2, 122-130, 2014. doi:10.1109/MCOM.2014.6736752
4. Tan, C. M. and M. R. Tripathy, "A miniaturized T-shaped MIMO antenna for X-band and Ku-band applications with enhanced radiation efficiency," 2018 27th Wireless and Optical Communication Conference (WOCC), 1-5, IEEE, April 2018.
5. Pouyanfar, N., C. Ghobadi, J. Nourinia, K. Pedram, and M. Majidzadeh, "A compact multi-band MIMO antenna with high isolation for C and X bands using defected ground structure," Radioengineering, Vol. 27, No. 3, 686-693, 2018. doi:10.13164/re.2018.0686
6. Li, Y., C. Wang, H. Yuan, N. Liu, H. Zhao, and X. Li, "A 5G MIMO antenna manufactured by 3-D printing method," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 16, 657-660, 2016.
7. Wang, Q., et al., "5G MIMO conformal microstrip antenna design," Wireless Comms. and Mobile Computing, 1-11, 2017.
8. Alhalabi, R. A. and G. M. Rebeiz, "High-efficiency angled-dipole antennas for millimeter-wave phased array applications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 56, No. 10, 3136-3142, 2008. doi:10.1109/TAP.2008.929506
9. Jilani, S. F. and A. Alomainy, "A multiband millimeter-wave 2-D array based on enhanced Franklin antenna for 5G wireless systems," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 16, 2983-2986, 2017. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2017.2756560
10. Hussain, R., A. T. Alreshaid, S. K. Podilchak, and M. S. Sharawi, "Compact 4G MIMO antenna integrated with a 5G array for current and future mobile handsets," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 11, No. 2, 271-279, 2017. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2016.0738
11. Wu, D., S. W. Cheung, T. I. Yuk, and X. L. Sun, "A planar MIMO antenna for mobile phones," PIERS Proceedings, 1150-1152, Taipei, March 25-28, 2013.
12. Ou Yang, J., F. Yang, and Z. M. Wang, "Reducing mutual coupling of closely spaced microstrip MIMO antennas for WLAN application," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 10, 310-313, 2011. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2011.2140310
13. Chiu, C. Y., C. H. Cheng, R. D. Murch, and C. R. Rowell, "Reduction of mutual coupling between closely-packed antenna elements," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 55, No. 6, 1732-1738, 2007. doi:10.1109/TAP.2007.898618
14. Chilukuri, S., K. Dahal, and A. Lokam, "Multi-port pattern diversity antenna for K and Ka-band application," Advanced Electromagnetics, Vol. 7, No. 2, 5-9, 2018. doi:10.7716/aem.v7i2.687
15. Murali Krishna, C., M. Sai Prapoorna, K. Taruni Sesha Sai, and M. Sai Teja, "Super wideband 1 x 2 MIMO antenna for advanced wireless communication," Advances in Electrical and Computer Technologies, 509-519, Springer, Singapore, 2021.
16. Park, J. S., J. B. Ko, H. K. Kwon, B. S. Kang, B. Park, and D. Kim, "A tilted combined beam antenna for 5G communications using a 28-GHz band," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 15, 1685-1688, 2016. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2016.2523514
17. Urimubenshi, F., D. B. Konditi, J. de Dieu Iyakaremye, P. M. Mpele, and A. Munyaneza, "A novel approach for low mutual coupling and ultra-compact two port MIMO antenna development for UWB wireless application," Heliyon, Vol. 8, No. 3, e09057, 2022. doi:10.1016/j.heliyon.2022.e09057
18. Cicchetti, R., E. Miozzi, and O. Testa, "Wideband and UWB antennas for wireless applications: A comprehensive review," International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, 2017.
19. Dwivedi, A. K., A. Sharma, A. K. Singh, and V. Singh, "Circularly polarized quad-port MIMO dielectric resonator antenna with beam tilting feature for vehicular communication," IETE Technical Review, 1-13, 2020.
20. Dwivedi, A. K., A. Sharma, A. K. Singh, and V. Singh, "Metamaterial inspired dielectric resonator MIMO antenna for isolation enhancement and linear to circular polarization of waves," Measurement, Vol. 182, 109681, 2021. doi:10.1016/j.measurement.2021.109681
21. Addepalli, T. and V. R. Anitha, "Compact two-port MIMO antenna with high isolation using parasitic reflectors for UWB, X and Ku band applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 102, 63-77, 2020. doi:10.2528/PIERC20030402
22. Sehrai, D. A., M. Abdullah, A. Altaf, S. H. Kiani, F. Muhammad, M. Tufail, and S. Rahman, "A novel high gain wideband MIMO antenna for 5G millimeter wave applications," Electronics, Vol. 9, No. 6, 1031, 2020. doi:10.3390/electronics9061031
23. Rahman, S., X. C. Ren, A. Altaf, M. Irfan, M. Abdullah, F. Muhammad, and F. S. AlKahtani, "Nature inspired MIMO antenna system for future mmWave technologies," Micromachines, Vol. 11, No. 12, 1083, 2020. doi:10.3390/mi11121083
24. Rappaport, T. S., Y. Xing, G. R. MacCartney, A. F. Molisch, E. Mellios, and J. Zhang, "Overview of millimeter wave communications for fifth-generation (5G) wireless networks --- With a focus on propagation models," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 65, No. 12, 6213-6230, 2017. doi:10.1109/TAP.2017.2734243
25. Sharawi, M. S., S. K. Podilchak, M. T. Hussain, and Y. M. Antar, "Dielectric resonator based MIMO antenna system enabling millimetre-wave mobile devices," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 11, No. 2, 287-293, 2017. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2016.0457
26. Saxena, G., P. Jain, and Y. K. Awasthi, "High diversity gain super-wideband single band-notch MIMO antenna for multiple wireless applications," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 14, No. 1, 109-119, 2020. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2019.0450
27. Bhatia, S. S., "Modified spokes wheel shaped MIMO antenna system for multiband and future 5G applications: Design and measurement," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 117, 261-276, 2021. doi:10.2528/PIERC21111102
28. Pandey, A., A. K. Singh, S. Singh, and R. Singh, "A compact Ultra-Wideband (UWB) MIMO antenna for K and Ka band applications," IOT with Smart Systems, 117-126, Springer, Singapore, 2022.