In this paper, a planar passive array antenna is proposed with capability of reradiating the incoming incident wave to predetermined θ and φ reflection angles (2-D). This purpose is achieved by differentiating array elements' phases with the help of inter-connecting transmission lines. Incident and reradiated signal paths are isolated through two orthogonal polarizations used in the array structure. The idea is realized with a 2×2, microstrip, dual linearly polarized antenna arrays in 2 GHz operating frequency on the Ro5880 substrate with 1.2 mm height. Nonlinear nature of the theory behind this idea leads to some limitations in choosing the angles of incident and reflected signals which is thoroughly investigated.
Nima Mokary Bahar,
Seyed Hassan Sedighy,
Retro Directive Array Antenna with Adjustable Reflection Angle," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters,
Vol. 107, 103-110, 2022. doi:10.2528/PIERL22082506
1. Goshi, D. S., K. M. Leong, and T. Itoh, "Recent advances in retrodirective system technology," 2006 IEEE Radio and Wireless Symposium, 459-462, IEEE, 2006. doi:10.1109/RWS.2006.1615194
2. Leong, K. M., R. Y. Miyamoto, and T. Itoh, "Moving forward in retrodirective antenna arrays," IEEE Potentials, Vol. 22, No. 3, 16-21, 2003. doi:10.1109/MP.2003.1232308
3. Miyamoto, R. Y. and T. Itoh, "Retrodirective arrays for wireless communications," IEEE Microwave Magazine, Vol. 3, No. 1, 71-79, 2002. doi:10.1109/6668.990692
4. Shiroma, W., B. Murakami, J. Roque, S. Sung, G. Shiroma, and R. Miyamoto, "Progress in self- steering antennas for small-satellite networks," Space 2004 Conference and Exhibit, 5943, 2004.
5. Shiroma, W. A., et al., "Progress in retrodirective arrays for wireless communications," 2003 IEEE Topical Conference on Wireless Communication Technology, 80-81, IEEE, 2003. doi:10.1109/WCT.2003.1321438
6. Chepala, A., V. Fusco, and N. Buchanan, "Active circular retro-directive array," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 67, No. 10, 6677-6679, 2019. doi:10.1109/TAP.2019.2927628
7. Le Bihan, P., et al., "Dual-polarized aperture-coupled patch antennas with application to retrodirective and monopulse arrays," IEEE Access, Vol. 8, 7549-7557, 2019.
8. Ali, A. A., H. B. El-Shaarawy, and H. Aubert, "Millimeter-wave substrate integrated waveguide passive Van Atta reflector array," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 61, No. 3, 1465-1470, 2012. doi:10.1109/TAP.2012.2228622
9. Mandal, J., M. K. Mandal, M. Kahar, S. Chakrabarty, and R. Jyoti, "An active retro-directive array with different transmit and receive frequencies," 2019 IEEE MTT-S International Microwave and RF Conference (IMARC), 1-5, IEEE, 2019.
10. Alharbi, M., M. A. Alyahya, S. Ramalingam, A. Y. Modi, C. A. Balanis, and C. R. Birtcher, "Metasurfaces for reconfiguration of multi-polarization antennas and van atta reflector arrays," Electronics, Vol. 9, No. 8, 1262, 2020. doi:10.3390/electronics9081262
11. Polehn, D. L. and F. Weisbrod, "Retro-directive metamaterial array antenna system,", ed: Google Patents, 2019.
12. Zhu, Z.-B., et al., "A high-precision terahertz retrodirective antenna array with navigation signal at a different frequency," Frontiers of Information Technology & Electronic Engineering, Vol. 21, 377-383, 2020. doi:10.1631/FITEE.1900581
13. Miyamoto, R. Y., G. S. Shiroma, B. T. Murakami, and W. A. Shiroma, "A high-directivity transponder using self-steering arrays," 2004 IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium Digest (IEEE Cat. No. 04CH37535), Vol. 3, 1683-1686, IEEE, 2004. doi:10.1109/MWSYM.2004.1338913
14. Buchanan, N. B., V. F. Fusco, and M. van der Vorst, "SATCOM retrodirective array," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 64, No. 5, 1614-1621, 2016. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2016.2541121
15. Wei, X., L. He, and L. Chen, "Retrodirective antenna for inter-satellite data transmission," IEEE Access, Vol. 8, 89720-89726, 2020. doi:10.1109/ACCESS.2020.2993468
16. Chiu, L., T. Yum, W. Chang, Q. Xue, and C. Chan, "Retrodirective array for RFID and microwave tracking beacon applications," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 48, No. 2, 409-411, 2006. doi:10.1002/mop.21365
17. Ren, Y.-J. and K. Chang, "New 5.8-GHz circularly polarized retrodirective rectenna arrays for wireless power transmission," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 54, No. 7, 2970-2976, 2006. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2006.877422
18. Re, P. D. H., S. K. Podilchak, S. A. Rotenberg, G. Goussetis, and J. Lee, "Circularly polarized retrodirective antenna array for wireless power transmission," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 68, No. 4, 2743-2752, 2019.
19. Fairouz, M. and M. A. Saed, "A complete system of wireless power transfer using a circularly polarized retrodirective array," Journal of Electromagnetic Engineering and Science, Vol. 20, No. 2, 139-144, 2020. doi:10.26866/jees.2020.20.2.139
20. Rodenbeck, C. T., M.-Y. Li, and K. Chang, "A phased-array architecture for retrodirective microwave power transmission from the space solar power satellite," 2004 IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium Digest (IEEE Cat. No. 04CH37535), Vol. 3, 1679-1682, IEEE, 2004. doi:10.1109/MWSYM.2004.1338912
21. Lim, S., K. M. Leong, and T. Itoh, "Adaptive power controllable retrodirective array system for wireless sensor server applications," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 53, No. 12, 3735-3743, 2005. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2005.856086
22. Leong, K. M. and T. Itoh, "Mutually exclusive data encoding for realization of a full duplexing self-steering wireless link using a retrodirective array transceiver," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 53, No. 12, 3687-3696, 2005. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2005.856081
23. Leong, K. M. and T. Itoh, "Full-duplex retrodirective array using mutually-exclusive uplink and downlink modulation schemes," 2004 IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium Digest (IEEE Cat. No. 04CH37535), Vol. 3, 1695-1698, IEEE, 2004. doi:10.1109/MWSYM.2004.1338916
24. Van Atta, L. C., "Electromagnetic reflector,", ed: Google Patents, 1959.
25. Sharp, E. and M. Diab, "Van Atta reflector array," IRE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 8, No. 4, 436-438, 1960. doi:10.1109/TAP.1960.1144877
26. Withers, M., "An active Van Atta array," Proceedings of the Institution of Electrical Engineers, Vol. 111, No. 5, 982-984, IET, 1964. doi:10.1049/piee.1964.0154
27. Chung, S.-J., S.-M. Chen, and Y.-C. Lee, "A novel bi-directional amplifier with applications in active Van Atta retrodirective arrays," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 51, No. 2, 542-547, 2003. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2002.807814
28. Pon, C., "Retrodirective array using the heterodyne technique," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 12, No. 2, 176-180, 1964. doi:10.1109/TAP.1964.1138191
29. Ang, P. and G. V. Eleftheriades, "A passive redirecting Van Atta-type reflector," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 17, No. 4, 689-692, 2018. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2018.2812108
30. Zuo, J. and D. Piao, "Effect of loss tangent on the performance of retrodirective array based on microstrip patch," 2019 Cross Strait Quad-Regional Radio Science and Wireless Technology Conference (CSQRWC), 1-3, IEEE, 2019.
31. Uluisik, C., G. Cakir, M. Cakir, and L. Sevgi, "Radar cross section (RCS) modeling and simulation, part 1: A tutorial review of definitions, strategies, and canonical examples," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 50, No. 1, 115-126, 2008. doi:10.1109/MAP.2008.4494511
32. Gross, F., Smart Antennas with Matlab: Principles and Applications in Wireless Communication, McGraw Hill Professional, 2015.