The computation of the fields scattered by a dielectric sphere illuminated by a plane wave and the evaluation of the resultant optical forces is a classical problem that can be analytically solved using Mie theory. Whereas extending said formulation to arbitrary incident fields does not pose any conceptual difficulty, the actual computation of the scattering coefficients and force components substantially grows in complexity as soon as interactions beyond the electric dipole arise. By formulating an equivalent electromagnetic problem, we derive a set of computationally efficient formulas for the evaluation of scattering and optical forces exerted by arbitrary incident fields upon dielectric spheres in the Mie regime. As opposed to force calculations by direct integration of the Maxwell’s Stress Tensor, the present formulation relies on a set of universal interaction coefficients that do not require any problem-specific integration and can therefore be all precomputed and tabulated. The proposed methods can be easily integrated with the T-Matrix method to calculate forces on non-spherical dielectric objects.
1. Stratton, J. A., Electromagnetic Theory, John Wiley & Sons, 2007.
2. Salandrino, A., S. Fardad, and D. N. Christodoulides, "Generalized Mie theory of optical forces," JOSA B, Vol. 29, No. 4, 855-866, 2012. doi:10.1364/JOSAB.29.000855
3. Felderhof, B. and R. Jones, "Addition theorems for spherical wave solutions of the vector Helmholtz equation," Journal of Mathematical Physics, Vol. 28, No. 4, 836-839, 1987. doi:10.1063/1.527572
4. Rotenberg, M., R. Bivins, N. Metropolis, J. K. Wooten, and L. Biedenharn, "The 3-j and 6-j symbols," Physics Today, Vol. 13, No. 10, 52, 1960. doi:10.1063/1.3062771
5. Messiah, A., Quantum Mechanics: Volume II, North-Holland Publishing Company Amsterdam, 1962.
6. Albaladejo, S., M. I. Marques, M. Laroche, and J. J. Saenz, "Scattering forces from the curl of the spin angular momentum of a light field," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 102, No. 11, 113602, 2009. doi:10.1103/PhysRevLett.102.113602
7. Gordon, J. P., "Radiation forces and momenta in dielectric media," Phys. Rev. A, Vol. 8, No. 1, 14-21, 1973. doi:10.1103/PhysRevA.8.14
8. Chaumet, P. C. and M. Nieto-Vesperinas, "Time-averaged total force on a dipolar sphere in an electromagnetic field," Opt. Lett., Vol. 25, No. 15, 1065-1067, 2000. doi:10.1364/OL.25.001065
9. Fardad, S., A. Salandrino, A. Samadi, M. Heinrich, Z. Chen, and D. N. Christodoulides, "Scattering detection of a solenoidal Poynting vector field," Opt. Lett., Vol. 41, No. 15, 3615-3618, 2016, [Online], Available: http://ol.osa.org/abstract.cfm?URI=ol-41-15-3615. doi:10.1364/OL.41.003615
10. Salandrino, A. and D. N. Christodoulides, "Negative index Clarricoats-Waldron waveguides for terahertz and far infrared applications," Opt. Express, Vol. 18, No. 4, 3626-3631, Feb. 15, 2010. doi:10.1364/OE.18.003626
11. Salandrino, A. and D. N. Christodoulides, "Reverse optical forces in negative index dielectric waveguide arrays," Opt. Lett., Vol. 36, No. 16, 3103-3105, 2011. doi:10.1364/OL.36.003103
12. Butler, C., S. Fardad, A. Sincore, M. Vangheluwe, M. Baudelet, and M. Richardson, Multispectral Optical Tweezers for Molecular Diagnostics of Single Biological Cells (SPIE BiOS), SPIE, 2012.
13. Korn, G. A. and T. M. Korn, Mathematical Handbook for Scientists and Engineers: Denitions, Theorems, and Formulas for Reference and Review, Courier Corporation, 2000.
14. Bohren, C. F. and D. R. Huffman, Absorption and Scattering of Light by Small Particles, John Wiley & Sons, 2008.
15. Abramowitz, M. and I. A. Stegun, Handbook of Mathematical Functions: With Formulas, Graphs, and Mathematical Tables, Courier Corporation, 1964.
16. Koshy, T., Discrete Mathematics with Applications, Elsevier, 2004.
17. Jackson, J. D., Classical Electrodynamics, Wiley, 1999.
18. Balanis, C. A., Advanced Engineering Electromagnetics, Wiley Online Library, 2012.
19. Burns, M. M., J.-M. Fournier, and J. A. Golovchenko, "Optical matter: Crystallization and binding in intense optical fields," Science, Vol. 249, No. 4970, 749-754, 1990. doi:10.1126/science.249.4970.749
20. Han, F. and Z. Yan, "Phase transition and self-stabilization of light-mediated metal nanoparticle assemblies," ACS Nano, Vol. 14, No. 6, 6616-6625, 2020. doi:10.1021/acsnano.9b08015