In this paper, a new plasmonic absorbing metasurface sensor has been proposed to determine glucose concentrations. Surface Plasmon Resonance (SPR) shift has been used as the indicator of glucose concentration. The sensor employs metal-dielectric-metal configuration along with metal nano-cylinders to provide near unity absorption in the near infrared wavelength range (1800-2200 nm). The absorption frequency shifts when the sensor is surrounded by materials of different refractive indices. The structure has been investigated through Finite Difference Time Domain (FDTD) simulations. The results show reflectance and absorbance peaks with different analyte concentrations. The sensor displays a linear response along with sensitivity and Figure of Merit (FOM) equal to almost 500 nm/RIU and 11.82 RIU-1 respectively. The proposed sensor has potential applications in food and biomedical industries.
"Design of a Plasmonic Metasurface for Refractive Index Sensing of Aqueous Glucose," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters,
Vol. 107, 133-139, 2022. doi:10.2528/PIERL22090401
1. Balanis, C. A., Advanced Engineering Electromagnetics, Wiley, New York, 1989.
2. Veselago, V. G., "The electrodynamics of substances with simultaneously negative values of ε and μ," Sov. Phys. Uspekhi, Vol. 10, No. 4, 509-514, 1968. doi:10.1070/PU1968v010n04ABEH003699
3. Smith, D. R., J. B. Pendry, and M. C. K. Wiltshire, "Metamaterials and negative refractive index," Science, Vol. 305, 788-792, 2004. doi:10.1126/science.1096796
4. Genevet, P., F. Capasso, F. Aieta, M. Khorasaninejad, and R. Devlin, "Recent advances in planar optics: From plasmonic to dielectric metasurfaces," Optica, Vol. 4, No. 1, 139, 2017. doi:10.1364/OPTICA.4.000139
5. Li, A., S. Singh, and D. Sievenpiper, "Metasurfaces and their applications," Nanophotonics, Vol. 7, No. 6, 989-1011, 2018. doi:10.1515/nanoph-2017-0120
6. Chen, T., S. Li, and H. Sun, "Metamaterials application in sensing," Sensors, Vol. 12, No. 3, 2742-2765, 2012. doi:10.3390/s120302742
7. Zhang, S., et al., "Metasurfaces for biomedical applications: Imaging and sensing from a nanophotonics perspective," Front. Opt. Photonics, Vol. 10, No. 1, 265-299, 2021. doi:10.1515/9783110710687-023
8. Jin, C., Z. Wu, J. H. Molinski, J. Zhou, Y. Ren, and J. X. J. Zhang, "Plasmonic nanosensors for point-of-care biomarker detection," Mater. Today Bio., Vol. 14, 100263, Jan. 2022. doi:10.1016/j.mtbio.2022.100263
9. Rakhshani, M. R. and M. A. Mansouri-Birjandi, "High sensitivity plasmonic refractive index sensing and its application for human blood group identification," Sens. Actuators B, Chem., Vol. 249, 168-176, Oct. 2017.
10. Kabashin, A. V., et al., "Plasmonic nanorod metamaterials for biosensing," Nat. Mater., Vol. 8, No. 11, 867-871, 2009. doi:10.1038/nmat2546
11. Alipour, A., A. Farmani, and A. Mir, "SiO2-silver metasurface architectures for ultrasensitive and tunable plasmonic biosensing," Plasmonics, Vol. 15, No. 6, 1935-1942, Dec. 2020. doi:10.1007/s11468-020-01217-4
12. Vafapour, Z., A. Keshavarz, and H. Ghahraloud, "The potential of terahertz sensing for cancer diagnosis," Heliyon, Vol. 6, No. 12, Art. No. e05623, Dec. 2020. doi:10.1016/j.heliyon.2020.e05623
13. Tavousi, A., M. R. Rakhshani, and M. A. Mansouri-Birjandi, "High sensitivity label-free refractometer based biosensor applicable to glycated hemoglobin detection in human blood using all-circular photonic crystal ring resonators," Opt. Commun., Vol. 429, 166-174, Dec. 2018. doi:10.1016/j.optcom.2018.08.019
14. Son, H., S.-J. Kim, J. Hong, J. Sung, and B. Lee, "Design of highly perceptible dual-resonance all-dielectric metasurface colorimetric sensor via deep neural networks," Scientific Reports, Vol. 12, No. 1, Dec. 2022. doi:10.1038/s41598-021-03975-5
15. Patel, S. K., J. Surve, J. Parmar, K. Ahmed, F. M. Bui, and F. A. Al-Zahrani, "Recent advances in biosensors for detection of COVID-19 and other viruses," IEEE Rev. Biomed. Eng., 1-16, 2022. doi:10.1109/RBME.2022.3212038
16. Patel, S. K., et al., "Encoding and tuning of THz metasurface-based refractive index sensor with behavior prediction using XGBoost regressor," IEEE Access, 2022.
17. Patel, S. K., J. Surve, J. Parmar, A. Natesan, and V. Katkar, "Graphene-based metasurface refractive index biosensor for hemoglobin detection: Machine learning assisted optimization," IEEE Trans. Nanobioscience , 1-8, 2022. doi:10.1109/TNB.2022.3201237
18. Hajshahvaladi, L., H. Kaatuzian, M. Danaie, and Y. Karimi, "Design of a highly sensitive tunable plasmonic refractive index sensor based on a ring-shaped nano-resonator," Opt. Quantum Electron., Vol. 54, No. 1, 1-17, 2022. doi:10.1007/s11082-021-03431-8
19. Hajshahvaladi, L., H. Kaatuzian, and M. Danaie, "Design of a hybrid photonic-plasmonic crystal refractive index sensor for highly sensitive and high-resolution sensing applications," Phys. Lett. Sect. A Gen. At. Solid State Phys., Vol. 420, 127754, 2021.
20. Son, H., S.-J. Kim, J. Hong, J. Sung, and B. Lee, "Design of highly perceptible dual-resonance all-dielectric metasurface colorimetric sensor via deep neural networks," Scientific Reports, Vol. 12, No. 1, Dec. 2022.
21. Li, Y., "Plasmonic optics: Theory and applications," Plasmonic Opt. Theory Appl., 2017.
22. Abdulkarim, Y. I., et al., "A review on metamaterial absorbers: Microwave to optical," Front. Phys., Vol. 10, 1-18, Apr. 2022.
23. Patel, S. K., J. Surve, and J. Parmar, "Detection of cancer with graphene metasurface-based highly efficient sensors," Diam. Relat. Mater., Vol. 129, 109367, Sep. 2022. doi:10.1016/j.diamond.2022.109367
24. Zhong, J., P. Ghosh, and Q. Li, "All-dielectric metasurface refractive index sensor with microfluidics," Journal of Physics: Conference Series, Vol. 1838, No. 1, Mar. 2021.
25. Karthikeyan, M., P. Jayabala, S. Ramachandran, S. S. Dhanabalan, T. Sivanesan, and M. Ponnusamy, "Tunable optimal dual band metamaterial absorber for high sensitivity THz refractive index sensing," Nanomaterials, Vol. 12, No. 15, 2693, Aug. 2022. doi:10.3390/nano12152693
26. Nejat, M. and N. Nozhat, "Ultrasensitive THz refractive index sensor based on a controllable perfect MTM absorber," IEEE Sensors Journal, Vol. 19, No. 22, 10490-10497, Nov. 2019. doi:10.1109/JSEN.2019.2931057
27. Hajshahvaladi, L., H. Kaatuzian, and M. Danaie, "A high-sensitivity refractive index biosensor based on Si nanorings coupled to plasmonic nanohole arrays for glucose detection in water solution," Opt. Commun., Vol. 502, Jan. 2022.
28. Zhang, H., Y. Cheng, and F. Chen, "Quad-band plasmonic perfect absorber using all-metal nanostructure metasurface for refractive index sensing," Optik (Stuttg.), Vol. 229, Mar. 2021.
29. Vafapour, Z., "Polarization-independent perfect optical metamaterial absorber as a glucose sensor in food industry applications," IEEE Trans. Nanobiosci., Vol. 18, No. 4, 622-627, Oct. 2019. doi:10.1109/TNB.2019.2929802
30. Vafapour, Z., et al., "The potential of refractive index nanobiosensing using a multi-band optically tuned perfect light metamaterial absorber," IEEE Sensors J., early access, Apr. 2, 2021.
31. Al-Naib, I., "Terahertz asymmetric S-shaped complementary metasurface biosensor for glucose concentration," Biosensors (Basel), Vol. 12, No. 8, Aug. 2022.
32. Sun, Y., L. Zhang, H. Shi, S. Cao, S. Yang, and Y. Wu, "Near-infrared plasma cavity metasurface with independently tunable double Fano resonances," Results Phys., Vol. 25, 104204, Jun. 2021. doi:10.1016/j.rinp.2021.104204