This work proposes and experimentally evaluates a single layer bandpass frequency selective surface (FSS) that resonates at X-band (8-12 GHz). The metal plate of the unit cell has a half-Jerusalem cross slot of size 0.15λ0, where λ0 is the wavelength corresponding to 10 GHz centre frequency. The effects of unit cell parameters on filter response are analyzed through parametric analysis. The results reveal that the proposed bandpass FSS exhibits good polarization stability and angular stability at oblique angles up to 45˚. Furthermore, negligible frequency deviations in both TE and TM polarizations have also been achieved using this structure. A prototype of the bandpass FSS was fabricated on an FR4 substrate to validate the proposed design which includes 10×10 elements in a dimension of 45 mm × 45 mm × 1.6 mm. Measurements show that the bandpass FSS has a fractional bandwidth of 40% centered at 10 GHz from 8 GHz to 12 GHz. The unique feature of the proposed filter is its ability to operate in the whole X band (8-12 GHz) by tuning the filter elements.
1. Mei, P., G. F. Pedersen, and S. Zhang, "A broadband and FSS-based transmitarray antenna for 5G millimeter-wave applications," IEEE Antenna and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 20, No. 1, 103-107, 2021. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2020.3042295
2. Deng, Z. H., F. W. Wang, Y. H. Ren, K. Li, and B. J. Gao, "A novel wideband low-RCS reflector by Hexagon polarization rotation surfaces," IEEE Access, Vol. 7, 131527-131533, 2019. doi:10.1109/ACCESS.2019.2940616
3. Omar, A. A., H. Huang, and Z. Shen, "Absorptive frequency-selective re ection/transmission structures: A review and future perspectives," IEEE Antenna and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 62, No. 4, 62-74, 2020. doi:10.1109/MAP.2019.2943302
4. Lalbakhsh, A., M. U. Afzal, K. P. Esselle, and S. L. Smith, "All-metal wideband frequency-selective surface bandpass filter for TE and TM polarizations," IEEE Transactions on Antennas Propagation, Vol. 70, No. 4, 2790-2800, 2022. doi:10.1109/TAP.2021.3138256
5. Katoch, K., N. Jaglan, and S. D. Gupta, "A review on frequency selective surfaces and its applications," 2019 International Conference on Signal Processing and Communications (ICSC), 75-81, Noida, India, 2019.
6. Hussein, M., J. Zhou, Y. Huang, and B. A. Juboori, "A low-profile miniaturized second-order bandpass frequency selective surface," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 16, 2791-2794, 2017.
7. Tamoor, T., F. Ahmed, S. M. Q. A. Shah, T. Hassan, and N. Shoaib, "An FSS based stop band filter for EM shielding application," 2020 IEEE International Symposium on Electromagnetic Compatibility, 978-980, Rome, Italy, 2020.
8. Mahima, P., B. Sangeetha, S. Narayan, and R. U. Nair, "EM design of hybrid-element FSS structure for radome application," 2016 Annual Indian Conference (INDICON 2016), 126-129, Bangalore, India, 2016.
9. Luo, G. Q., W. Yu, Y. Yu, X. H. Zhang, and Z. Liao, "Bandpass absorptive frequency-selective structure using double-sided parallel-strip lines," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 19, No. 9, 1596-1599, 2020. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2020.3011507
10. Jin, C., Q. Lv, and R. Mittra, "Dual-polarized frequency selective surface with two transmission zeros based on cascaded ground apertured annular ring resonators," IEEE Transactions on Antennas Propagation, Vol. 66, No. 8, 4077-4085, 2018. doi:10.1109/TAP.2018.2839898
11. Chen, G. W., S. W. Wong, Y. Li, R. S. Chen, L. Zhang, A. K. Rashid, N. Xie, and L. Zhu, "High roll-off frequency selective surface with quasi-elliptic bandpass response," IEEE Transactions on Antennas Propagation, Vol. 69, No. 9, 5740-5749, 2021. doi:10.1109/TAP.2021.3060148
12. Xie, J. M., B. Li, Y. P. Lyu, and L. Zhu, "Single- and dual-band high-order bandpass frequency selective surfaces based on aperture-coupled dual-mode patch resonators," IEEE Transactions on Antennas Propagation, Vol. 69, No. 4, 2130-2141, 2021. doi:10.1109/TAP.2020.3026863
13. Chou, H. H. and G. J. Ke, "Narrow bandpass frequency selective surface with high level of angular stability at Ka-band," IEEE Microwave Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 31, No. 4, 361-364, 2021. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2021.3054016
14. Yu, W., G. Q. Luo., Y. Yu, W. Cao, Y. Pan, and Z. Shen, "Dual-polarized band-absorptive frequency selective rasorber using meander-line and lumped resistors," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 67, No. 2, 1318-1322, 2019. doi:10.1109/TAP.2018.2883643