A novel compact composite right/left-handed (CRLH) substrate integrated waveguide (SIW) based leaky wave antenna (LWA) is proposed. Mushroom-inspired unit cell is utilized to achieve CRLH transmission property as well as energy leakage. Periodically loaded metallic vias, which act as an internal 1:2 power divider, are along the center line of the SIW structure, leading to a compact antenna size. The LWA can be regarded as an antenna array whose two elements are excited by two newly produced quasi-TE10 modes, respectively, and therefore, the antenna peak gains are enhanced. Good agreements are obtained between the simulated and measured results. Continuous beam scanning feature indicates that the proposed design is a balanced frequency scanning work operating in Ku-band.
1. Huo, X., J. Wang, D. Li, Z. Zhang, M. Chen, and Z. Li, "Leaky rectangular waveguide with circular polarization property," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 63, No. 11, 5098-5101, Nov. 2015. doi:10.1109/TAP.2015.2473693
2. Mohtashami, Y. and J. Rashed-Mohassel, "A butterfly substrate integrated waveguide leaky-wave antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 62, No. 6, 3384-3388, Jun. 2014. doi:10.1109/TAP.2014.2311464
3. Dong, Y. and T. Itoh, "Composite right/left-handed substrate integrated waveguide and half mode substrate integrated waveguide leaky-wave structures," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 59, No. 3, 767-775, Mar. 2011. doi:10.1109/TAP.2010.2103025
4. Karmokar, D. K., S. Chen, T. S. Bird, and Y. J. Guo, "Single-layer multi-via loaded CRLH leaky-wave antennas for wide-range beam scanning with consistent gain," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 18, No. 2, 313-317, Feb. 2019. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2018.2889869
5. Machac, J., M. Polivka, and K. Zemlyakov, "A dual band leaky wave antenna on a CRLH substrate integrated waveguide," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 61, No. 7, 3876-3879, July 2013. doi:10.1109/TAP.2013.2256097
6. Haghighi, S. S., A.-A. Heidari, and M. Movahhedi, "A three-band substrate integrated waveguide leaky-wave antenna based on composite right/left-handed structure," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 63, No. 10, 4578-4582, July 2015. doi:10.1109/TAP.2015.2456951
8. Lee, H., J. H. Choi, C. M. Wu, and T. Itoh, "A compact single radiator CRLH-inspired circularly polarized leaky-wave antenna based on substrate-integrated waveguide," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 63, No. 10, 4566-4572, Apr. 2015. doi:10.1109/TAP.2015.2456935
11. Wu, P., J. Liu, and Q. Xue, "Wideband excitation technology of TE20 mode substrate integrated waveguide (SIW) and its applications," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 63, No. 6, 1863-1874, Jun. 2015. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2015.2427808
12. Sabahi, M. M., A. A. Heidari, and M. Movahhedi, "A compact CRLH circularly polarized leaky-wave antenna based on substrate-integrated waveguide," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 66, No. 9, 4407-4414, Sep. 2018. doi:10.1109/TAP.2018.2851278
13. Yang, W., Z. Peng, J. Ren, J. Gao, and G. Zhai, "Composite right/left-handed leaky-wave antenna with high scanning rate," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., early access, 2022.
14. Zhang, H., Y. C. Jiao, G. Zhao, and C. Zhang, "CRLH-SIW-based leaky wave antenna with low cross-polarisation for Ku-band applications," Electron. Lett., Vol. 52, No. 17, 1426-1428, 2016. doi:10.1049/el.2016.1825